Latest Plans on Finishing The Season

Just now, billyblack said:

Thats what i thought

That’s how I interpret it, BB! If premier doesn’t finish, they will have votes on whether they relegate teams and how many teams they will want in the premier next season. My guess would be, no relegation and 20 teams and there working be anything the championship could do about it. 

If premier finishes then there will be relegation and there will be meetings and votes to see how promotion/relegation would work for the championship and also further down the pyramid. 

19 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

That’s how I interpret it, BB! If premier doesn’t finish, they will have votes on whether they relegate teams and how many teams they will want in the premier next season. My guess would be, no relegation and 20 teams and there working be anything the championship could do about it. 

Could get messy 

"EFL chairman Parry has fired off a clear message that the lawyers will be sent in if his clubs are denied promotion due to a closed-shop agreement by Premier League bosses.

Parry said: “I think you can expect the lawyers are going to get wealthy if that happens.

“There would be a degree of outrage, varying degrees of outrage from a number of clubs in the Championship.

“It would be a breach of the tripartite agreement between us, the Premier League and the Football Association and I suspect the FA would have a position on it as well.

“The safe answer to that is it would get very messy because our expectation is that there would be three clubs promoted from the Championship.”

Edited by rickygoo

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Could get messy 

"EFL chairman Parry has fired off a clear message that the lawyers will be sent in if his clubs are denied promotion due to a closed-shop agreement by Premier League bosses.

Parry said: “I think you can expect the lawyers are going to get wealthy if that happens.

“There would be a degree of outrage, varying degrees of outrage from a number of clubs in the Championship.

“It would be a breach of the tripartite agreement between us, the Premier League and the Football Association and I suspect the FA would have a position on it as well.

“The safe answer to that is it would get very messy because our expectation is that there would be three clubs promoted from the Championship.”

Well, if they don’t relegate teams, it also goes against the spirit of the game as well. I also can’t see 23 teams in the premier next season as well given the current situation.

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Well, if they don’t relegate teams, it also goes against the spirit of the game as well. I also can’t see 23 teams in the premier next season as well given the current situation.

What spirit of the game?

that went with the formation of the PL, Man Utd not playing in the FA cup and everything that has been going on for the last 25 years or so

If the PL don't want relegation, and that could happen whether or not the league is finished, we will see if the PL, FA or EPL have the deepest pockets in a legal challenge, and I can see only one winner there as well

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

This is going to get very messy, I believe the EPL will do whatever as long as it completes and it gets it coin. 

I'd expect some sort of money deal to be done, to smooth this over. 

The FA/EFL/EPL have no problem with weeing all over the sanctity of the game as we've already witnessed it. 

5 hours ago, BIG D said:

Closing everything down and is not going to make it disappear and so inevitably there are going test + in every hospital, school, college, office, factory, site and football club across the country...not great but that is the new reality that people are going to have to deal with sooner or later.

17 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Closing everything down and is not going to make it disappear and so inevitably there are going test + in every hospital, school, college, office, factory, site and football club across the country...not great but that is the new reality that people are going to have to deal with sooner or later.

i agree, but if a players tests positive a few days after a game then everyone who was in the stadium during the last game will have to self isolate for 14 days

So that's no football for two teams for 14 days, so that will stop the season being completed before the 30th June unless two teams play the kids for two weeks

37 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

You’re right, would you have people going to one place en masse, risking people’s (people who haven’t even attended) lives just to watch sport ? 
For me it’s about what is essential, is there anything more important than life. 
Please, no Bill Shankly quotes.

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

Could get messy 

If there’s no relegation from the PL, there’s 3 lots of first year parachute payments (about £140m) that wouldn’t be paid out.

A little financial sweetener to the Championship to stop the lawyers getting involved.

Edited by Mcguigan

Shameful

Money money money that is all they care about

Season should have been voided a month back and completly written off. Dragging this out has shown them up for what they are

France and Holland have made the right call. Yes certain clubs will throw a tantrum but health of the players/managers is paramount. I know they earn millions but at the end of the day they are human beings and by playing they are putting their familes at risk

I would be in favour of any player refusing to step foot on a pitch for the rest of the year. Imagine if they caught the virus and passed it on to their family. There would be hell to pay

Football is secondary right now and the sooner the EPL and EFL open their eyes and see that the better

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, the third man said:

i agree, but if a players tests positive a few days after a game then everyone who was in the stadium during the last game will have to self isolate for 14 days

So that's no football for two teams for 14 days, so that will stop the season being completed before the 30th June unless two teams play the kids for two weeks

It could be worse than that. If a player starts with symptoms on a Sunday after playing on Saturday & is tested positive then if he's also played in midweek prior to the Saturday then the team he's played in midweek could have to isolate plus that teams opposition on the Saturday.

15 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Season should have been voided a month back and completly written off.

Holland did that - the French haven't voided, neither have the Belgians. 

Every business is doing what football is. From hairdressers, to restaurants, department stores to garden centres. They're all hoping there's a Government approved way to open because this is a threat to the existence of a lot of businesses. The Government, for whatever reason, seems to have been encouraging sport to find a way out of this.  And the football plans have been reported in minute detail because there are hundreds of sports journalists out there with nothing else to do. Debenhams, John Lewis. British Airways etc will all be doing the same - they just don't have the same slightly obsessive scrutiny to cope with. 

I think it's incredibly unlikely that they'll get going - the German experience will probably, and hopefully, scupper it. But in the meantime, especially given the potential legal wrangling, it doesn't surprise me they are considering all possibilities. The EPL and EFL are far from alone when it comes to European Leagues hoping to play on. 

Without money, like every other business, professional sport will collapse. Every club has to pay their players, Hillsborough and every other ground need to be maintained and there are multi-million pound lawsuits being prepared as we write I imagine. 

It's a nightmare and no surprise they are scrambling around. 

Guest LondonOwl313
42 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Shameful

Money money money that is all they care about

Season should have been voided a month back and completly written off. Dragging this out has shown them up for what they are

France and Holland have made the right call. Yes certain clubs will throw a tantrum but health of the players/managers is paramount. I know they earn millions but at the end of the day they are human beings and by playing they are putting their familes at risk

I would be in favour of any player refusing to step foot on a pitch for the rest of the year. Imagine if they caught the virus and passed it on to their family. There would be hell to pay

Football is secondary right now and the sooner the EPL and EFL open their eyes and see that the better

That’s all fair enough but they should all give up their wages until the end of the year as well then. Have to be fair about it 

3 hours ago, billyblack said:

How can championship vote on promotion if PL want to stay at 20 clubs?

Read the post again. He said Champ clubs would have to decide how to award promotion IF the Prem completed their season, in which case the bottom 3 would be set for relegation. 

1 minute ago, Brommers said:

Read the post again. He said Champ clubs would have to decide how to award promotion IF the Prem completed their season, in which case the bottom 3 would be set for relegation. 

They might not relegate clubs even if they finish the season, that's one of the trade offs being discussed if they agree to play behind closed doors

27 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

That’s all fair enough but they should all give up their wages until the end of the year as well then. Have to be fair about it 

Yes, I agree. It's not as if they need the money. Scrap football and scrap wages for the remainder of 2020

I know it's easier said than done and there would be an outcry if it happened but it would ensure the health of players and help smaller clubs stay afloat 

Edited by IWEDFM

23 minutes ago, Brommers said:

And that's where the legal battles begin, why should Barnsley accept relegation if they haven't finished the season when they can still stay up?