Deadline For Decision on This Season..

4 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

This is the sensible thing to do. Just void this season,  forget about it and concentrate on preparing to start next season in August.

The PL though are desperate to finish this season due to the financial implications if they don't. The possible loss of TV and sponsorship revenues from here and abroad is their prime motivator to restart in June.

You can't talk about sensible and EPL/EFL in the same post lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Personally can't see how we can play after June 30 th what if I out of contract players refuse to play it wouldn't be a level playing field

It's certainly more "level" than it would be if teams are arbitrarily promoted or relegated, without being given at least an opportunity to earn their place. And that's the real sticking point here. If there's going to be a conclusion to the season with winners or losers, it must be done right.

League position is earned by a team, regardless of who's playing for them. Following the Munich disaster, Man United fielded weakened team, they didn't just stop playing. So if a team is short on players, they'll need to fill the gaps with players who wouldn't otherwise make the team.

1 minute ago, bobness said:

It's certainly more "level" than it would be if teams are arbitrarily promoted or relegated, without being given at least an opportunity to earn their place. And that's the real sticking point here. If there's going to be a conclusion to the season with winners or losers, it must be done right.

League position is earned by a team, regardless of who's playing for them. Following the Munich disaster, Man United fielded weakened team, they didn't just stop playing. So if a team is short on players, they'll need to fill the gaps with players who wouldn't otherwise make the team.

Wednesday played through the virus that hit Dooley's team. 

41 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Null and void a competition that’s 80% completed and had £100’s of millions invested in it?

Im moving into a new build home. Last time I drove past it appeared about 80% finished but obviously the contractors had left site for the foreseeable and as yet no news on will construction will begin again.

Wonder if they’ll scrap it and rebuild a new one when it’s safe.

Peoples lives, health & well being are far more important than the obscene amounts of money thrown into football currently.

5 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Peoples lives, health & well being are far more important than the obscene amounts of money thrown into football currently.

I know,  People are losing their minds. It’s football ffs

1 hour ago, MAL said:

Germany have stated football can resume.

That will put pressure on here.

Germany has been much less affected that the UK with just under 7000 deaths compared to our nearly 30,000. They are talking about a resumption behind closed doors until October. For us I would say this means that there will be no further football this season no matter how many crazy ways the EFL or EPL come up with trying to justify it.

3 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Germany has been much less affected that the UK with just under 7000 deaths compared to our nearly 30,000. They are talking about a resumption behind closed doors until October. For us I would say this means that there will be no further football this season no matter how many crazy ways the EFL or EPL come up with trying to justify it.

Less affected, but in one sentence it's play football.

In another sentence, they expect a big spike of the virus in winter.

58 minutes ago, bobness said:

Voiding the season is a fairer option than that.

You can't expect teams to finish the current season if across the board they do not have many of the players that they expected to have avaiialble to complete the season, it just wouldn't be an accurate reflection at all.

The Munich air disaster was a tragic event but it only affected the players of one team and you wouldn't have expected the whole division to be stopped as a result. 

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

Null and void a competition that’s 80% completed and had £100’s of millions invested in it?

Im moving into a new build home. Last time I drove past it appeared about 80% finished but obviously the contractors had left site for the foreseeable and as yet no news on will construction will begin again.

Wonder if they’ll scrap it and rebuild a new one when it’s safe.

Aye because the nebulous nature of a Football competition can be directly compared to the solidity of Bricks and Mortar 

• Like 1

I keep hearing that the season must be completed to preserve the "integrity of the competition"

Just looking at our squad we have half of them out of contract soon and how many loanees 3, 4 ?

Wheres the integrity in any match involving Wednesday IF all of those players are gone ?

Void the season pay prize money based on the positions as are No promotions no relegations go with a new season as and when fans can attend 

Football isn't Football without fans end of 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Voiding the season is a fairer option than that.

You can't expect teams to finish the current season if across the board they do not have many of the players that they expected to have avaiialble to complete the season, it just wouldn't be an accurate reflection at all.

The Munich air disaster was a tragic event but it only affected the players of one team and you wouldn't have expected the whole division to be stopped as a result. 

Given that we've got nothing to play for, it's easy to say it's "fairer" to void the season. Objectively I don't agree, unless there isn't a practical way to complete it. And by "practical" I mean one which takes into account next season, the Euros, etc.

For example, if we were in a position to have matches behind closed doors (for the sake of season closure), I can't see a good reason to object. If you'd argue that football is all about the fans, then how is playing behind closed doors any different from scrapping the season?

The Munich disaster affecting just one team, makes the argument even more compelling. The premise of the discussion was regarding players being out of contract, which essentially means many teams will be in the same position. It doesn't get more level than that.

Edited by bobness

5 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

For the football league seems to be middle of next week, 12th May, according to Coventry’s CEO. He’s said the league needs 54 days to complete the season, plus 3 weeks notice for players training. As it seems the agreement by the FL is that the season must be completed by end of July, that means they must decide by middle of next week if there’s to be a resumption or not. 

Boris Johnson’s going to allow outdoor sports from next week. Lots of rumours golf courses are going to open up for example ! 

9 minutes ago, bobness said:

Given that we've got nothing to play for, it's easy to say it's "fairer" to void the season. Objectively I don't agree, unless there isn't a practical way to complete it. And by "practical" I mean one which takes into account next season, the Euros, etc.

For example, if we were in a position to have matches behind closed doors (for the sake of season closure), I can't see a good reason to object. If you'd argue that football is all about the fans, then how is playing behind closed doors any different from scrapping the season?

The Munich disaster affecting just one team, makes the argument even more compelling. The premise of the discussion was regarding players being out of contract, which essentially means many teams will be in the same position. It doesn't get more level than that.

If they could play behind closed doors and play proper 90 minute games with the same squads as they have now then I would agree with you and that is probably the most effective and realistic way of finishing the season.

Some with have more home matches left than others and home advantage is a thing so playing behind closed doors isn't perfect and playing at neutral venues would be even less so but it is a viable option for completion.

I don't agree with the contracts issue - teams will have squads that were brought together specifically for this season, some may have half a dozen out of contract players, others may have more than a dozen. Some will have signed players on short term contracts in January specifically to do a job for them until the end of the season. If they can't finish the season before contracts expire on July 1st they need to find a collective agreement on finishing the season with current squads otherwise it just isn't a reflection of the 2019/20 season.  

Just now, FroggattOwls said:

Boris Johnson’s going to allow outdoor sports from next week. Lots of rumours golf courses are going to open up for example ! 

I've heard that too but golf is much different from football in terms of social distancing.