Deadline For Decision on This Season..

18 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

if we are on about safety etc I went to Brentford away went on train used underground went in pubs ,I think at that time in London there were as many positive with covid 19  than there is now ,how many of us have got covid 19 going to that game? probably none or very few , also the last home game how many went to that game and ended up getting covid 19 going to the game? I don't believe that catching a virus in an open air arena is a high risk environment , pubs,tube,buses,supermarkets,shopping centres,schools,gyms etc  those are the places where you are highly at risk . if most of those are opened up can you tell me why is an open aired football stadium is more at risk than those enclosed places where the virus is most prevalent? and airlines whether they are 10% 30% 100% full are by far the most dangerous place to catch virus`s due to reconditioned air from cabin . a lot of nonsense is been spoken and written and sadly the mass panic will cause a complete destruction of the economy ,everyone who has been paid for doing nothing and supping beer in back garden are soon to get a reality check once companies fold like a pack of cards due to mass panic and hysteria. im not for 1 minute saying lets open turnstiles in 3 weeks but what im saying all those other things/places are far more likely that you will catch the virus . either we get things opened up and people need to weigh up there risks to themselves or close family or we end up in a very very serious situation within months where between 5-10 million will be without work and unable to pay there bills and then possibly all hell could break out . 

Are you a glass half empty type of person by any chance? WTF:

Guest Mcguigan

I assume all the posters on this thread who are stating null and void as the only fair conclusion, would be equally as adamant at voiding the season if we were 6 or 7 points clear of third place, with a superior goal difference and only 9 games left to play.

11 minutes ago, SouthStand75 said:

Why can’t we just pause the season and resume when it’s safe to do so? We aren’t going to be relegated or promoted so it doesn’t have any bearing on us but for the integrity of the sport I think we should resume when it is safe to do so. We would be kicking off if we had pushed on when we were third to get the season done. 

If we get a 9 points deduction from the EFL we're on the same points as third from bottom Charlton. If this season is completed & our form before the lockdown continued there's a very real chance we'd go down.

49 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

I assume all the posters on this thread who are stating null and void as the only fair conclusion, would be equally as adamant at voiding the season if we were 6 or 7 points clear of third place, with a superior goal difference and only 9 games left to play.

Of course if we were 15 points clear at the top, we just say ok. We will take it for the good of all...we're not blades after all.

1 hour ago, SouthStand75 said:

Why can’t we just pause the season and resume when it’s safe to do so? We aren’t going to be relegated or promoted so it doesn’t have any bearing on us but for the integrity of the sport I think we should resume when it is safe to do so. We would be kicking off if we had pushed on when we were third to get the season done. 

We would be kicking off yes but with all the logistics is it really viable to finish ?? We still have no idea how long this will last do we just push everything back indefinitely ? Contracts, TV, International evens, financial its all a very complex mess if we just wait and restart when safe to do so then play catch up. For me its sensible to just null and void and try to prepare for the start of next season.

Also I don't agree with your first statement I believe we would have gone down had it not been for this. This isn't driving my opinion on this but were in freefall.

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

I've said in other threads that I'd want to try and finish the season, of course. Twenty years outside the top flight feels like an eternity.

But at some point reality has to kick in and you have to accept that it's not possible.

If players, coaching teams, club staff etc. can be tested without taking resources away from areas where they're needed, then in theory games could go ahead. However, as soon as one person tests positive or shows symptoms, the whole league programme would grind to a halt again as final games need to be played synchronously in the interests of fairness.

Of course, you've then got the issue of fans not being able to attend games, which for me is a complete no-go. Football without fans would kill the game at the lower levels and would be an insult to supporters at all levels.

Even then, I'm not sure how football could safely go ahead in the current situation: there's no way that Elland Road or Anfield wouldn't be swamped by fans should their clubs be on the verge of clinching the league title that day, taking emergency services away from what they should be doing to manage and disperse the inevitable crowds. Even playing at neutral venues as has been mooted won't prevent fans from travelling or gathering to watch the games together.

It's gutting for those who look odds on for promotion, but it seems there's nothing that can be done which preserves the integrity of the competition, and far more importantly, the health and safety of all involved.

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

If buts and maybe's are all very well. However the fact is we are where we are. There has never been a situation like this, its a perfect storm. If ever there was a time for football to press the reset button, then its now.

If we had unlimited time then finishing the competitions by playing the matches would clearly be the most satisfactory solution, however player contracts, club finances, next years football calendar and the unknown of what will happen with the virus over the coming months are all limiting factors on restarting. Its tough on the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and the Blunt's but sometimes in life schizz happens which you have no control over, this is one of those instances. The sooner the FA / EPL / EFL accept the inevitable that voiding and restarting when safe is the most sensible pragmatic solution then the better off all the surviving clubs will be.

Guest Mcguigan
4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I've said in other threads that I'd want to try and finish the season, of course. Twenty years outside the top flight feels like an eternity.

But at some point reality has to kick in and you have to accept that it's not possible.

If players, coaching teams, club staff etc. can be tested without taking resources away from areas where they're needed, then in theory games could go ahead. However, as soon as one person tests positive or shows symptoms, the whole league programme would grind to a halt again as final games need to be played synchronously in the interests of fairness.

Of course, you've then got the issue of fans not being able to attend games, which for me is a complete no-go. Football without fans would kill the game at the lower levels and would be an insult to supporters at all levels.

Even then, I'm not sure how football could safely go ahead in the current situation: there's no way that Elland Road or Anfield wouldn't be swamped by fans should their clubs be on the verge of clinching the league title that day, taking emergency services away from what they should be doing to manage and disperse the inevitable crowds. Even playing at neutral venues as has been mooted won't prevent fans from travelling or gathering to watch the games together.

It's gutting for those who look odds on for promotion, but it seems there's nothing that can be done which preserves the integrity of the competition, and far more importantly, the health and safety of all involved.

So effectively, top level football in this country out of the question until a vaccine is found then?

People will be testing positive or showing symptoms of this virus for years and years to come. Are we going to null and void every season going forward as soon as someone catches it.

14 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

So effectively, top level football in this country out of the question until a vaccine is found then?

People will be testing positive or showing symptoms of this virus for years and years to come. Are we going to null and void every season going forward as soon as someone catches it.

rumsfeld-unknown-unknowns-752x284.jpg

31 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

If buts and maybe's are all very well. However the fact is we are where we are. There has never been a situation like this, its a perfect storm. If ever there was a time for football to press the reset button, then its now.

If we had unlimited time then finishing the competitions by playing the matches would clearly be the most satisfactory solution, however player contracts, club finances, next years football calendar and the unknown of what will happen with the virus over the coming months are all limiting factors on restarting. Its tough on the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and the Blunt's but sometimes in life schizz happens which you have no control over, this is one of those instances. The sooner the FA / EPL / EFL accept the inevitable that voiding and restarting when safe is the most sensible pragmatic solution then the better off all the surviving clubs will be.

Whatever happens is going to be a mess. I've been reading The Athletic piece on French football and the "neat" decision to end the season. What a nightmare that is. 

There is no way with millions of pounds at stake that "schizz happens" is going to be the prime mover.

15 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Whatever happens is going to be a mess. I've been reading The Athletic piece on French football and the "neat" decision to end the season. What a nightmare that is. 

There is no way with millions of pounds at stake that "schizz happens" is going to be the prime mover.

Unfortunately there isnt going to a perfect solution to this issue. The fact is that schizz has happened and now football needs to find a workable solution to the conundrum.

I agree with you that its going to be a mess. The law firms are going to be making an awful lot of money over the next few years. 

17 hours ago, FroggattOwls said:

Boris Johnson’s going to allow outdoor sports from next week. Lots of rumours golf courses are going to open up for example ! 

Golf courses would be ok to open in my opinion anyway, there's no reason why you have to come within 2m of your competitor and as long as you only use your own clubs/ball/tee then there's no risk of transmission via touching things. 

Any contact sport though, ie football, is risky. Unless all players and staff are quarantined until it's all over, it's not going to be 100% safe. For me, avoid the season, no promotion/relegation and start again from next season as long as it's safe to do so, with fans in the stadiums. 

The news from Germany yesterday about the Bundesliga resuming this month will undoubtedly put pressure on the Premier League to do the same.

Lets be honest not unexpectedly, Germany were on top of things with early and rigorous testing so they have not been as heavily affected as us by the virus.

Yes, the Premier League may have more financial clout than the Bundesliga but what they may lack financially they more than make up for in organisation and efficiency something we will always probably lack in comparison to the Germans?

That said being able to resume playing and actually completing the season are two totally different things as once play resumes, there could be an increase in virus transmission and should this happen then things would surely have to be looked at again?

My take is by hook or by crook the PL will resume and because the top of the Championship effects the PL then so will we, even though I very much doubt that Leagues 1 and 2 will resume?

But if Leagues 1 and 2 don’t resume then why should the Championship as it’s under the same EFL umbrella as L1 and L2? Whatever is decided will upset someone and as already has been said there will be more matches played in the court rooms of this country perhaps even more than currently on the pitch?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

23 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Unfortunately there isnt going to a perfect solution to this issue. The fact is that schizz has happened and now football needs to find a workable solution to the conundrum.

I agree with you that its going to be a mess. The law firms are going to be making an awful lot of money over the next few years. 

The German plans don't help. I thought they'd kick a restart into the long grass but they've done the opposite. 

10 minutes ago, Sambo89 said:

Golf courses would be ok to open in my opinion anyway, there's no reason why you have to come within 2m of your competitor and as long as you only use your own clubs/ball/tee then there's no risk of transmission via touching things. 

No kissing your balls for luck then...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

It should be, yeah. It probably won't be due to the money involved, though.

As long as social distancing measures are such that contact sports are unplayable, that's how they should remain.

I also wouldn't even entertain the idea of games taking place behind closed doors for the health and safety reasons I outlined above, but also as I believe that football without fans is a dreadful idea and could lead to a long-term drop-off in attendances.