Deadline For Decision on This Season..

6 minutes ago, FroggattOwls said:

Boris Johnson’s going to allow outdoor sports from next week. Lots of rumours golf courses are going to open up for example ! 

Along with fishing and plans for horse racing to start without any spectators with races limited to number of runners and also using courses close to stables like Newmarket. 

I can't see a problem with Golf and Fishing. 

38 minutes ago, bobness said:

Given that we've got nothing to play for, it's easy to say it's "fairer" to void the season. Objectively I don't agree, unless there isn't a practical way to complete it. And by "practical" I mean one which takes into account next season, the Euros, etc.

For example, if we were in a position to have matches behind closed doors (for the sake of season closure), I can't see a good reason to object. If you'd argue that football is all about the fans, then how is playing behind closed doors any different from scrapping the season?

The Munich disaster affecting just one team, makes the argument even more compelling. The premise of the discussion was regarding players being out of contract, which essentially means many teams will be in the same position. It doesn't get more level than that.

Not really level though, I would say Leeds, Brentford and PNE have an advantage.

Top 6 teams in championship

Leeds - lose 4 players

WBA - lose 14 players

Fulham - lose 10 players

Brentford - lose 2 players

Forest - lose 12 players

PNE - lose 6 players

24 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Along with fishing and plans for horse racing to start without any spectators with races limited to number of runners and also using courses close to stables like Newmarket. 

I can't see a problem with Golf and Fishing. 

It was madness fishing was banned. 

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I keep hearing that the season must be completed to preserve the "integrity of the competition"

Just looking at our squad we have half of them out of contract soon and how many loanees 3, 4 ?

Wheres the integrity in any match involving Wednesday IF all of those players are gone ?

Void the season pay prize money based on the positions as are No promotions no relegations go with a new season as and when fans can attend 

Football isn't Football without fans end of 

"Integrity", it's a laugh isn't it.  Lets play 30 minutes a half, lets play behind closed doors, neutral venues, lets cancel promotion, lets cancel relegation, lets give  a team the title despite not being mathematically clear, lets hang on to our full wages cos we pay for the NHS, lets extend legally binding contracts, lets risk using NHS resources, what bizarre scheme will they come up with next?

Last sentence says it all, if it's an empty ground whats the point?  Empty ground and no promotion or relegation, whats the point in risking injuries, infections and using resouces.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Should this happen, how many clubs will still be in business?

The idea is to help them survive. To operate without fans, most clubs in those divisions will lose money every week

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If they can't finish the season before contracts expire on July 1st they need to find a collective agreement on finishing the season with current squads otherwise it just isn't a reflection of the 2019/20 season.  

How do you achieve that?

every team who have players out of contract and every player that is out of contract would have to agree

these would short term contracts, why are you going to play and risk getting injured for a 31 day contract when getting injured means you lose out after the season finishes

why would clubs want to continue to pay players who aren't in match day squads longer than they need to

cant see it happening

8 minutes ago, the third man said:

How do you achieve that?

every team who have players out of contract and every player that is out of contract would have to agree

these would short term contracts, why are you going to play and risk getting injured for a 31 day contract when getting injured means you lose out after the season finishes

why would clubs want to continue to pay players who aren't in match day squads longer than they need to

cant see it happening

I agree with you, very difficult to implement.

But the reality is they didn't sign a contract to the 30th June as some arbitrary date, they signed it because that should ensure that all football for that season is completed and they become available when the end of season transfer window opens.

In this exceptional circumstance they have not finished the season they were contracted to and the season the clubs signed them up to complete.

They don't currently know when they are going to be able to play a new season or if there will be 92 league clubs available for them to sign up to for any future seasons. The majority of those out of contract outside the top flight are unlikely to be signed up to new deals that offer them an increased salary such is the position clubs find themselves in. 

53 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Just end the bloody season! Start a new season when it’s safe to do so. 

Agree, all this nonsense about finishing the season is irresponsible, desperate and bordering on pathetic. 

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But the reality is they didn't sign a contract to the 30th June as some arbitrary date, they signed it because that should ensure that all football for that season is completed and they become available when the end of season transfer window opens.

In this exceptional circumstance they have not finished the season they were contracted to and the season the clubs signed them up to complete.

They don't currently know when they are going to be able to play a new season or if there will be 92 league clubs available for them to sign up to for any future seasons. The majority of those out of contract outside the top flight are unlikely to be signed up to new deals that offer them an increased salary such is the position clubs find themselves in. 

they aren't contracted to season, just a date

their contract will be up on the 30th June, not at the end of the season, or why are we paying them after the season stops

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You also have to take loan players into account, a lot of these deals seem to expire earlier.

Jacob Murphy, Josh Windass and Connor Wickham's deals are due to end 31st May.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, the third man said:

they aren't contracted to season, just a date

their contract will be up on the 30th June, not at the end of the season, or why are we paying them after the season stops

I've explained that. Players are contracted to June 30th generally because it usually ensures the season has ended, play-offs have been played as have cup finals and if anything out of the ordinary was to delay the season by a few weeks then it will still be finished in June normally with all players under contract. Why do you think players aren't contracted to say the end of February or March?

Players are generally paid monthly, contracting them to the end of May could result in them being out of contract for games if for any reason the season had to be extended by a few weeks.

This extreme circumstance has blown that out of the water.

void the season.

Combine all the prize money from all the league's then divide it equally between all the club's.

Those who need money the most, those in the lower leagues will benefit from a timely windfall.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, capetownowl said:

void the season.

Combine all the prize money from all the league's then divide it equally between all the club's.

Those who need money the most, those in the lower leagues will benefit from a timely windfall.

Yep

Think i could go with that.

Don't think it would happen though, because the greedy ones will still want their full share, even if other clubs go under.

if we are on about safety etc I went to Brentford away went on train used underground went in pubs ,I think at that time in London there were as many positive with covid 19  than there is now ,how many of us have got covid 19 going to that game? probably none or very few , also the last home game how many went to that game and ended up getting covid 19 going to the game? I don't believe that catching a virus in an open air arena is a high risk environment , pubs,tube,buses,supermarkets,shopping centres,schools,gyms etc  those are the places where you are highly at risk . if most of those are opened up can you tell me why is an open aired football stadium is more at risk than those enclosed places where the virus is most prevalent? and airlines whether they are 10% 30% 100% full are by far the most dangerous place to catch virus`s due to reconditioned air from cabin . a lot of nonsense is been spoken and written and sadly the mass panic will cause a complete destruction of the economy ,everyone who has been paid for doing nothing and supping beer in back garden are soon to get a reality check once companies fold like a pack of cards due to mass panic and hysteria. im not for 1 minute saying lets open turnstiles in 3 weeks but what im saying all those other things/places are far more likely that you will catch the virus . either we get things opened up and people need to weigh up there risks to themselves or close family or we end up in a very very serious situation within months where between 5-10 million will be without work and unable to pay there bills and then possibly all hell could break out .