Deadline For Decision on This Season..

20 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, If we were in Leeds position, I'd be devastated if we missed out on promotion.....but, some things transcend football. 

For the 9 clubs across the EFL leagues in promotion spots, there are 63 clubs similarly affected in different ways, 9 of those also facing relegation as a consequence and many in the lower leagues financial oblivion. 

What about the bottom clubs chance to save themselves? (happens every year to a few teams)

What about Leeds end of season collapse? Why deprive the whole of football that pleasure :biggrin:

While I sympathise with Leeds, West Brom etc and notwithstanding the wider social issues, dont think its equally 'fair' on the other 63 clubs.

If a match is abandoned due to unforeseen and exceptional circumstances, it's replayed...why is this not appropriate or fair for the season?....fair for all 72 EFL clubs, and not just the 9 clubs with something to gain.

I understand where you are coming from. However the EFL has already signalled the league clubs preference is to complete the games if they can, if not possible which is becoming the reality, the clubs favour a formula to determine relegation and promotion, there is barely any appetite to void the season across the board because an overwhelming majority of clubs recognise this as being somewhat unfair despite their league positions. I expect League 1 and League 2 tables to be finalised and signed off next week. The only thing they are voting on is how to decide promotion and relegation.

Whatever happens in EFL L1 and L2 will happen in the championship eventually when they too realise they can't play the games behind closed doors or not. 

There is no perfectly fair solution but its better to try and reward teams that have done well and disappoint teams that haven't because the alternative is the exact opposite. It's not perfect but it's the best they can do with this season now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport.com/football/efl/703590/leagues-one-two-abandoned-next-week-efl-promotion-relegation/amp/

Edited by Mystic Neg

26 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

I understand where you are coming from. However the EFL has already signalled the league clubs preference is to complete the games if they can, if not possible which is becoming the reality, the clubs favour a formula to determine relegation and promotion, there is barely any appetite to void the season across the board because an overwhelming majority of clubs recognise this as being somewhat unfair despite their league positions. I expect League 1 and League 2 tables to be finalised and signed off next week. The only thing they are voting on is how to decide promotion and relegation.

Whatever happens in EFL L1 and L2 will happen in the championship eventually when they too realise they can't play the games behind closed doors or not. 

There is no perfectly fair solution but its better to try and reward teams that have done well and disappoint teams that haven't because the alternative is the exact opposite. It's not perfect but it's the best they can do with this season now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport.com/football/efl/703590/leagues-one-two-abandoned-next-week-efl-promotion-relegation/amp/

Yep, it is a pickle.

To me, from a sporting point of view it is more unfair to penalise clubs for an incomplete season than to reward clubs for an incomplete season. 

You're right, the clubs will decide. 

14 minutes ago, striker said:

Yep, it is a pickle.

To me, from a sporting point of view it is more unfair to penalise clubs for an incomplete season than to reward clubs for an incomplete season

You're right, the clubs will decide. 

Agree with this. If the season is not completed there is a doubt about the final outcome while teams could play themsoelves into promotion or out of relegation.. The benefit of doubt should be given to those who will be penalised  ie. their situation will be markedly worse than it was at the start of the season. Promotion is not guaranteed to those at the top and neither is relegation guaranteed for those at the bottom. It seems just to me that the route of least damage should be taken.

12 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Agree with this. If the season is not completed there is a doubt about the final outcome while teams could play themsoelves into promotion or out of relegation.. The benefit of doubt should be given to those who will be penalised  ie. their situation will be markedly worse than it was at the start of the season. Promotion is not guaranteed to those at the top and neither is relegation guaranteed for those at the bottom. It seems just to me that the route of least damage should be taken.

I’d be amazed if any team was relegated without the season being completed. Just won’t happen. 

48 minutes ago, striker said:

Yep, it is a pickle.

To me, from a sporting point of view it is more unfair to penalise clubs for an incomplete season than to reward clubs for an incomplete season. 

Who would be penalised and who would be rewarded if the season cannot continue and promotion/relegation was basically decided by ballot?

Premier will do everything to finish given there is £750m in outstanding TV money to grab. League 1 and 2 are 99% likely not to finish and championship remains in doubt.

If the premier can’t finish due to a player contracting the virus and a first team squad going into quarantine etc, then what do we do then? It’s probably likely that 70% of the premier league will vote for no relegation and to keep it 20 teams for next season. Surely the premier league hold most of the cards here regards to what happens with promotion and relegation throughout the leagues.

43 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

I’d be amazed if any team was relegated without the season being completed. Just won’t happen. 

They absolutely can't relegate anyone.

The only thing that was nailed on was the Scousers winning the league, everything else is still up for grabs.

Give Liverpool the title if you must but just never let them forget they were 'awarded' it

lol

• Haha 1

The lockdown isn't going to end until June at the earliest

the players will need some training sessions before the season can start, so at best it can start on say the 8th June, not sure if one week would be enough though

so that means 9 matches in two weeks for most teams, two games in three days, and then the playoffs in one week, one game every two days,  to finish for the 30th June

The PL will need to play 9 games in three weeks, so one game every two days

this all depends on no one testing positive at any time, players wanting to play, and massive squad rotation, so no teams will be able to play its best 11 for all games either

Is it worth it?

23 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Premier will do everything to finish given there is £750m in outstanding TV money to grab. League 1 and 2 are 99% likely not to finish and championship remains in doubt.

If the premier can’t finish due to a player contracting the virus and a first team squad going into quarantine etc, then what do we do then? It’s probably likely that 70% of the premier league will vote for no relegation and to keep it 20 teams for next season. Surely the premier league hold most of the cards here regards to what happens with promotion and relegation throughout the leagues.

I think there has to be a vote for the premier League teams to vary any rules eg. No relegation or promotion of 3 teams if the league is not concluded, can't see many below the top 6 wanting to dilute their income or increase the chances of relegation

So if they can't finish the PL I expect the same 20 teams in it next year... maybe they just share the prize money equally, which would help the likes of villa

25 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Yes the PL couldn't care less about teams getting promoted from the Championship, only the Championship are bothered

if three teams get promoted with no relegation there will need to be 6 teams relegated next season, the PL wont tolerate 23 team for more than one season, the top teams could even use this opportunity to reduce the numbers to the 18 team league they want and relegate 8 teams.

again no way any PL team outside the top six will want that next season either

So if the PL say no relegation there will be no promotion either

1 hour ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I think there has to be a vote for the premier League teams to vary any rules eg. No relegation or promotion of 3 teams if the league is not concluded, can't see many below the top 6 wanting to dilute their income or increase the chances of relegation

So if they can't finish the PL I expect the same 20 teams in it next year... maybe they just share the prize money equally, which would help the likes of villa

I think it’s 14 teams that have to vote for any change

40 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

And turkey's don't usually vote for Xmas....so that pretty much resolves the PL..... nothing to see here, let's see if we can start again in October

At the moment 3 seem to be confirmed against and another 3 very likely - basically all of the bottom 6. But some of them - like Brighton- may just be against the neutral venue idea. Some coppers think it’s doable- others don’t. The doctors are probably the same. It may depend on what pressure the bigger clubs can apply if they really want to continue.

The Germans aren’t going down the neutral venue route. The PL may learn from them. 

22 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

At the moment 3 seem to be confirmed against and another 3 very likely - basically all of the bottom 6. But some of them - like Brighton- may just be against the neutral venue idea. Some coppers think it’s doable- others don’t. The doctors are probably the same. It may depend on what pressure the bigger clubs can apply if they really want to continue.

The Germans aren’t going down the neutral venue route. The PL may learn from them. 

Home advantage is a big thing in football. Without crowds that advantage all but disappears. How can it be deemed fair if the season continues? You’ll have teams playing away at Liverpool, Man U etc in empty stadia and their rivals might have already played there in front of 50,000 or more. 

2 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Home advantage is a big thing in football. Without crowds that advantage all but disappears. How can it be deemed fair if the season continues? You’ll have teams playing away at Liverpool, Man U etc in empty stadia and their rivals might have already played there in front of 50,000 or more. 

Thee is no perfect solution. 

14 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

The only reason people on here are adamant that voiding the season is the only fair thing to do is because it suits SWFC.

Numerous football leagues around the world have taken this decision. Were they in favour of that solution because it suited Wednesday? Obviously there are plenty that believe it is an acceptable option without it being a matter of favouritism.

Clearly the best solution would be to complete the season if practically possible, but with the contracts situation and the time available for next season that is becoming increasingly untenable as squads like ours, and no doubt plenty of others, will be absolutely ravaged come the end of June. It seems to me that the health risks and implications are still largely unknown and that football leagues are being unduly hurried by considerations that are almost entirely financial and self-serving.

What we can all agree on is that the game's authorities have been landed in the middle of a monumental minefield. And there is simply no way out of it without having some of the mines going off. I don't envy those responsible for ultimately making the decisions as the ramifications could last for years, no matter what they do.

37 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Numerous football leagues around the world have taken this decision. Were they in favour of that solution because it suited Wednesday?

And loads are planning to resume pretty soon. As you say it’s a minefield. 

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

And loads are planning to resume pretty soon. As you say it’s a minefield. 

I only said it that way because one poster was inferring the interests of our own club were the "only" reason for voiding the season.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Germany. If they can get away with it, maybe there's a chance it can work here. However, I'm highly sceptical and still uncomfortable with the financial motivations and the lack of information regarding the long term effects of the illness or the likelihood of it's containment. 

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I only said it that way because one poster was inferring the interests of our own club were the "only" reason for voiding the season.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Germany. If they can get away with it, maybe there's a chance it can work here. However, I'm highly sceptical and still uncomfortable with the financial motivations and the lack of information regarding the long term effects of the illness or the likelihood of it's containment. 

The Bundesliga is much trumpeted as the way forward for fan involvement but they were saying insolvency beckoned if games didn’t restart. 

Edited by rickygoo