My first SWFC piece for The Star: Wednesday & The Intertoto Cup

Properly delighted to now be a part of the Star's SWFC team, and l’m looking forward to settling in and doing lots more stories like this...

Sheffield Wednesday’s last European adventure, featuring Mark Bright and Mark Pembridge:
https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/remembering-sheffield-wednesdays-last-european-adventure-rotherham-2841675 🦉⚽

You can find me on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @YesWeCrann.

Cheers!

Turquoise Happy Summer Quote Instagram Post (4).png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I went to both the "home" games. I remember we picked such a weird random mishmash of a team for the first game in Basel, but even if we'd won that match unless we'd absolutely battered them we'd still have been eliminated in the group stage on goal difference. 

Bit of trivia - the referee for the Karlsruhe game was one Pierluigi Collina. 

If anybody has a ticket stub from any of these intertoto cup games that they don't particularly want, i'll happily take them off your hands. Willing to pay a few quid plus postage. Already have the programmes so just the ticket stubs i'm after. 

Guest ka58

My memories of the intertoto cup.

the aarhus players giving my younger brother pennants and club badges whilst he waiting for the Wednesday players to leave the stadium.

3 young lads in Doncaster shirts on the tivoli singing along with Wednesday songs but changing names of players “there’s only one Gary brabin” etc and a middle aged drunk man punching one or them in the face.

the team we sent to Basel which included John pearson and Ian bowling amongst other local footballers and junior players.

With this new guy taking over the slot that Doom had, I'm giving the Star a little slack, seeing how it goes. Looked at maybe doing a monthly sub, nice intro offer of £1 a month for the first three.  The then monthly price of £8.68 sort of ended my interest.  I may have gone for a fiver a month but was really hoping for about 4 quid, you know a quid a week for a few SWFC articles before they get posted on here.  Never really bothered with the Star apart apart from in the 70's and Thursday night's jobs section, was more of a Green 'Un reader, never ever missed buying that.

On 7 May 2020 at 06:40, matthefish2002 said:

I remember one of the games at Rotherham a drunk bloke ran on the pitch just wearing some saggy old white pants.

We were behind the net the one I remember is a chap who ran onto the pitch and took the goal kick for their goalkeeper. 

Also Ian Nolan running with the ball and falling over when no one was around him.

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Any truth in the rumour that The Star newspaper are buying OT and intending to charge to use it?

Seems a bit of a coincidence that all of a sudden The Star is all over OT and rumours are rife.

👆 Now might be a good time I change my mind and tell everyone to slate the pundit

lol

Owlstalk Shop