My first SWFC piece for The Star: Wednesday & The Intertoto Cup

On 08/05/2020 at 17:38, @owlstalk said:

Yeah they'll have to be writing only absolute quality for that membership fee.

I feel sorry for the Star and the staff. I hope this works out but I am extremely doubtful. JPI, the owners, seem oblivious to the real world or maybe they just cannot change and are managing the inevitable decline best they can.

New independent media has emerged all over the country, filling the gaps. These guys provide cost effective advertising for local businesses and most are growing their audiences and thriving due to effective business plans producing modest profits. They are going to be the future of publishing, and do provide a service, albeit not the challenging crusading independent view that the Star once did. That's a shame.

One thing they wont be doing is alienating their audiences by expecting them to fund outdated business operations and introducing paywalls which won’t be accepted and simply will not work. They dont have the capacity to provide the content that is required for that level of payment. Its more expensive or similar to the Times, Guardian, Netflix or Amazon Prime per month. How is that value?

However......

I wish the new guys well and while it lasts its good to have some positivity and innovation.

Edited by Nero

1 minute ago, Nero said:

I feel sorry for the Star and the staff. I hope this works out but I am extremely doubtful. JPI, the owners, seem oblivious to the real world or maybe they just cannot change and are managing the inevitable decline best they can.

New independent media has emerged all over the country, filling the gaps. These guys provide cost effective advertising for local businesses and most are growing their audiences and thriving due to effective business plans producing modest profits. They are going to be the future of publishing, and do provide a service, albeit not the challenging crusading independent view that the Star once did. That's a shame.

One thing they wont be doing is alienating their audiences by expecting them to fund outdated business operations and introducing paywalls which won’t be accepted and simply will not work. They dont have the capacity to provide the content that is required for that level of payment. Its more expensive or similar to the Times, Guardian, Netflix or Amazon Prime per month. How is that value?

However......

I wish the new guys well and while it lasts its good to have some positivity and innovation.

Agree with every word of that mate.

It's more expensive or similar to the Times, Guardian, Netflix or Amazon Prime per month. How is that value?

Particularly that part

Owlstalk Shop

7 hours ago, bobness said:

Dan Petrescu, social distancing when he scores. Well ahead of his time!

dan-celebrating.jpg.01c9b184d929941813e11912272048c8.jpg

If I remember rightly that kit went on sale morning of game, we had to travel from Rotherham and back to get it in time for game. 

The local pubs around Masborough loved them games, Millmoor, Queens and Moulders made a fortune. 

7 hours ago, bradowl said:

If I remember rightly that kit went on sale morning of game, we had to travel from Rotherham and back to get it in time for game. 

The local pubs around Masborough loved them games, Millmoor, Queens and Moulders made a fortune. 

Yes it did. I got my home shirt from Sugg Sport in Rotherham on my way to the match. They had them in that morning. Could have saved a journey!

Edited by Etchesketch
  • Thanks 1

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 09.41.01.jpg

This is exactly why I stopped taking The Star seriously and stopped reading it - https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/former-sheffield-wednesday-boss-carlos-carvalhal-says-hes-coming-back-england-2849899

I logged on today to give The Star another go, and another try after the arrival of our new chaps, hoping for a fresh start, no clickbait, and a good indepth read about a Sheffield Wednesday subject.

Above is the image and title and a brief description of what to expect, so I thought Carlos might have given an interview, or that there might be rumblings he was about to take over a club?

So I clicked through, read an opening paragraph giving Carlos' background, and then read a quote from Carlos

“I believe it will happen,” he told the Guardian. “People are looking at our work, the way we are playing, and it is my feeling that next season we will work in England.”

And that's it.

Literally that's it.

The entire piece.

The total article.

An opening paragraph about Carlos managing Wednesday and Swansea, then the quote, then the end.

Not being funny (and this isn't aimed at just YOU Chris Holt but all/any journalists out there doing this) but that's pants.

It's clickbait, it's frothy vacuous nonsense, and it's what is killing publications like The Star off. Because people will click into links expecting something meaty to read, and to be faced with the absolute ultimate in lazy nonsense. It will (like it has me) put them off bothering ever again, and your numbers will decrease to the point where you're not able to work for The Star anymore.

You'll get your click throughs onto your page from a link like this, but more and more people will lose trust that they're going to find something worthwhile in them, and slowly but surely the number falling for it will dwindle.

If you're going to post a two paragraph 'story' in any publication - DON'T. It's lazy, it's clickbait, it betrays the reader, it destroys trust, and it kills your readership numbers.

@YesWeCrann  if you guys are serious about revolutionising The Star and winning back trust of readers you simply must get a grip on this situation. 

The first time in ages I have gone to The Star website and this is what happens

Not good

Owlstalk Shop

F12B5138-738D-4A7A-AA3D-55B1A3C351D6.jpeg

Cracking article about Lloyd Owusu on the official SWFC website.

A good meaty read with more than just a couple of lines of quotes and a paragraph of padding, well written and worth the click/visit to read.

Check it out here 👉 https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/generation-ex---lloyd-owusu/

If SWFC can do this I’m sure our local journalists could?

Owlstalk Shop

On 07/05/2020 at 09:23, Mole said:

If anybody has a ticket stub from any of these intertoto cup games that they don't particularly want, i'll happily take them off your hands. Willing to pay a few quid plus postage. Already have the programmes so just the ticket stubs i'm after. 

I've got one for Gornik at Millmoor  you can have if you like.

• Thanks 1