EFL End of Season Plan Leak

Just now, billyblack said:

how would this work with other countries who have ended their seasons now going forward?

Will UEFA accept it is the question. Presumably that's why atm the Germans, Spanish, Italians and English are all looking at the possibility of finishing the season relatively promptly.

Just now, rickygoo said:

Will UEFA accept it is the question. Presumably that's why atm the Germans, Spanish, Italians and English are all looking at the possibility of finishing the season relatively promptly.

All leagues need to finish within a certain timeframe (French, Belgian and Dutch already finished). They cant drag them out indefinitely, everytime a country ends their season it puts more pressure on other countries to do the same, its harder to justify continuing when around you countries are finishing. All they need is one death from rushing back too soon, arguing about the money wont cut it.

Don't see how any of them can start and finish quickly given the numbers aren't reducing really.  

1 hour ago, the third man said:

If it starts on June 8th how do you get 9 games and 3 play off matches before the 30th June

one team in Germany is already isolating for 14days after starting training, so just one team doing that will mess everything up

Is that Cologne? According to what I read yesterday they've just quarantined the 3 players concerned and the rest of the team has continued to train.

The Germans are waiting for the German Government to decide what is possible for sport. They're announcing their decision this week. I would imagine they'll kick any resumption into the long grass. 

On 01/05/2020 at 16:10, TodwickOwl said:

I would pick the season up again when we’re ready - finish the season, then have a 2/4 week break and then start the new season To allow for transfers

All games to be honoured by current players at the time that games were called off.

The players contracts expire on 30/6. You can't force them to play if they are out of contract.

Why would they play for their existing club if they have agreed a deal with another club. If they are going to have to find a new club why would they risk getting injured playing for the old club.

It's a nice idea but not practical

Monk has hung most if not all the players who’s contracts are up with us on June 30th out to dry? They’ve arguably already downed tools so expecting them to stay on beyond June is ludicrous? One option for us is to perhaps get shut of Monk now as it might make it easier to convince some players to stay on for a month or two if necessary?

• Haha 1

Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

Monk has hung most if not all the players who’s contracts are up with us on June 30th out to dry? 

Has he? Presumably you have little more idea than I do of who has said what to whom or when. This is especially pertinent in a club with the kind of administrative structure that we have. It's reasonably clear that our respective managers have not had the primary say in squad acquisitions.

According to one source I've just looked up, of the 9 first-team squad members soon to be out of contract, 1 (Penney) has been out of the country all season, 1 (Hutchinson) has been the subject of some kind of unknown disciplinary issue, 1 (Winnall) has not featured much due to not being very effective and 6 have been regularly involved (injury permitting). Hardly the epitome of them being 'hung out to dry'.

But if we have 12-14 (?) players out of contract in a couple of months (including a few Academy youngsters who have briefly appeared at the higher level), and only 3 of them have been contacted about possibly extending their stay, then no one has to say anything to anybody before the picture becomes clear enough. It's an annual problem for those running football clubs I would have thought.

17 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Has he? Presumably you have little more idea than I do of who has said what to whom or when. This is especially pertinent in a club with the kind of administrative structure that we have. It's reasonably clear that our respective managers have not had the primary say in squad acquisitions.

According to one source I've just looked up, of the 9 first-team squad members soon to be out of contract, 1 (Penney) has been out of the country all season, 1 (Hutchinson) has been the subject of some kind of unknown disciplinary issue, 1 (Winnall) has not featured much due to not being very effective and 6 have been regularly involved (injury permitting). Hardly the epitome of them being 'hung out to dry'.

But if we have 12-14 (?) players out of contract in a couple of months (including a few Academy youngsters who have briefly appeared at the higher level), and only 3 of them have been contacted about possibly extending their stay, then no one has to say anything to anybody before the picture becomes clear enough. It's an annual problem for those running football clubs I would have thought.

I’m going on his reaction after the Wigan game and let’s face it, kicking off in that particular post match interview didn’t get the ‘I’ll show you’ reaction he was looking for?

I used the term ‘hung out to dry’, having read the latest of your constructive posts, I now realise I might’ve been over the top with that term. However and I know you’ll disagree because you always seem to do? Monk is out of his depth here and we’re in Jos territory again as in we’re going nowhere but down with him in charge?

I personally think we should wait until we can finish the season. Have a pre season. Get it done. Then have a break. Then start a new season whenever that is. It’s possible we could have a season starting in Jan / Feb with a summer break and completing before Chrimbo. 

just shift the whole timetable. 

why are we obsessed with starting a season in August? 

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I’m going on his reaction after the Wigan game and let’s face it, kicking off in that particular post match interview didn’t get the ‘I’ll show you’ reaction he was looking for?

I used the term ‘hung out to dry’, having read the latest of your constructive posts, I now realise I might’ve been over the top with that term. However and I know you’ll disagree because you always seem to do? Monk is out of his depth here and we’re in Jos territory again as in we’re going nowhere but down with him in charge?

I think a lot of different things are going on at the moment that are confusing the overall picture, and some of them are unknown to us for obvious reasons. Monk may not be good enough for what we're hoping for but it's difficult to establish clearly. That should not be seen as a defence of him necessarily, because for the same reasons there's no guarantee he isn't the root cause of some of them either.

What is clear though, is that the club is in quite a mess at the moment on a number of different levels. 

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

I personally think we should wait until we can finish the season. Have a pre season. Get it done. Then have a break. Then start a new season whenever that is. It’s possible we could have a season starting in Jan / Feb with a summer break and completing before Chrimbo. 

just shift the whole timetable. 

why are we obsessed with starting a season in August? 

Works  better for 2022 world cup too?

3 hours ago, the third man said:

has to be before 30th June due to contracts expiring surely

Apparently there is a thing written in all players contract so I believe that they are paid a for a month after the 30th june. So would imagine most would play on for that month if they had to.

If the end is in sight I mean.  Say we have two games to complete on the 30th june. Would imagine 99% of players would play on for the extra. If the season is thinking about starting up on the 30th June. Then i would imagine most would be against it if not being kept on.

Decision will be made in weeks I think. I don't see a situation where they keep putting back the dates a month everytime and saying on the 15th july, on the 15th August.  By the start of june we will know if we still have this season or not.

the only realistic way is voiding the season ,the efl ,premier league couldn't be touched legally if they aint allowed or its practically impossible. its only when you start saying the the position your in the league now  counts for promotion or relegation , average points again that don't work,some teams have leeds west brom away others might have luton ,Barnsley at home some have played more home than away anything other than voiding will make lawyers very very rich. 

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 16:25, horny owl said:

This is a powder keg for the EFL and I can’t wait for it to go bang

Which will probably result in many lower league clubs going bust - like Bury did.  Which is nothing to celebrate.

The Premier League are likely to come out of this relatively unscathed IMO.

Gary Neville makes a very good point....

Notice how the EPL / EFL and club owners especially are being very quiet through all this? They all want football to return ASAP, but no ones gonna come out and say what should happen because of the possible consequences. 

there’s every chance someone, player, staff - could get C19 if football came back. That means the possibility someone might die. No one wants that on their conscience. 

We all know it’s all about money. Full stop. Forget the ‘good for the nation’ rubbish about getting live sport on TV. All other sports are having to deal with a lockdown for who knows how long - and quite a few COULD return in a more safe way than football.