EFL End of Season Plan Leak

18 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Because the tv money has been paid for this season and that drives it.

There was talk of hibernating the game and it’s finances for a period of time 

Sky have already said they don't want the money back for this season. One season currently in progress disrupted or roll it over into as yet an undamaged season? I know which will be the preferred option for the business people

1 minute ago, the third man said:

They will just knock it off next seasons payments, and if that cant be agreed they will just ask for it back, Sky are not going to throw £762 million ponds away, they are not that generous, especially as their income will most likely have dropped as people have suspended their Sky Sports payments

It's not £762 million though it amounts to less than half of that if you read the article

Promoting teams when the season is incomplete is absolute madness. I’m no lawyer but surely the EFL would be leaving themselves wide open to legal action from every other club who could mathematically win promotion. The point someone made about Bury is a really interesting one as well.

Voiding the season is the least worst option. It should (in theory) also allow the authorities a bit of breathing space to decide what to do with the Euros, World Cup, player contracts, etc. rather than spending so much time trying to come up with a way of finishing this season when there’s a solution already available. 

We’re in the middle of a global pandemic — football really isn’t important in the grand scheme of things. It takes as long as it takes

Just now, beswetherick said:

Promoting teams when the season is incomplete is absolute madness. I’m no lawyer but surely the EFL would be leaving themselves wide open to legal action from every other club who could mathematically win promotion. The point someone made about Bury is a really interesting one as well.

Voiding the season is the least worst option. It should (in theory) also allow the authorities a bit of breathing space to decide what to do with the Euros, World Cup, player contracts, etc. rather than spending so much time trying to come up with a way of finishing this season when there’s a solution already available. 

We’re in the middle of a global pandemic — football really isn’t important in the grand scheme of things. It takes as long as it takes

Look at France, Holland and potentially Spain - all cancelled their seasons and voided the season. This as you say would draw a line under this issue and allow a more informed decision of how football progresses in the future.

Another huge factor in this is if the players want to play in the current climate and from reading Aguero's comments yesterday that is a big NO.

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Look at France, Holland and potentially Spain - all cancelled their seasons and voided the season. This as you say would draw a line under this issue and allow a more informed decision of how football progresses in the future.

Another huge factor in this is if the players want to play in the current climate and from reading Aguero's comments yesterday that is a big NO.

They haven’t voided their season. They’ve awarded titles etc 

There's about 6 teams who have been in third place this season including us.

Promoting the team that was third at the arbitrary time when the roulette wheel stopped is not a fair sporting solution.

It's just dumb luck.

I would pick the season up again when we’re ready - finish the season, then have a 2/4 week break and then start the new season To allow for transfers

All games to be honoured by current players at the time that games were called off.

Just now, Nero said:

There's about 6 teams who have been in third place this season including us.

Promoting the team that was third at the arbitrary time when the roulette wheel stopped is not a fair sporting solution.

It's just dumb luck.

You could argue same for 1st and 2nd places, in L1 and 2 also. 

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

I would pick the season up again when we’re ready - finish the season, then have a 2/4 week break and then start the new season To allow for transfers

All games to be honoured by current players at the time that games were called off.

You can’t force out of contract players to continue playing for their team. 

8 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

There are so many teams that could either get promotion, of or not get relegated, that there would be legal challengers

and if it went to a vote of all the clubs, the only clubs who would want the teams in the promotion places to be promoted will be the ones in those places, so that's 11 out of 72, cant see that vote going through, if only because there are 9 teams in the relegation places and a lot more who could potentially be promoted who will vote against

I'm for scrapping this year as it's only fair 'force majure' legal and moral option.

Start next season in December if safe.

23 game season as per Vulva, pot luck home and away but with an expanded 8 team home and away play off at the end for a fairer shorter season. 

That's a max of 30 games.

Edited by Nero

4 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

You can’t force out of contract players to continue playing for their team. 

I wouldn’t force - I’d ask them if they will honour the last 12 games as they have been paid the wages for it. 

4 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Wont happen, you cant force teams to continue to pay players who are out of contract and you cant force players to play for a team if they don't want to

and if they wanted to stay short term, they could negotiate very favourable terms if the teams needed them, we have 10 players or so out of contract, how could we play games without them?

8 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

They haven’t voided their season. They’ve awarded titles etc 

The Dutch voided their season  - the Belgians and French awarded titles.  The Spanish like us, the Germans and the Italians are hoping to complete, probably in vain obviously. 

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

I wouldn’t force - I’d ask them if they will honour the last 12 games as they have been paid the wages for it. 

they don't get paid per game, they get paid for the length of a contract, so they haven't been paid for any game that doesn't get played, just paid for the length of the contract

The problem with the players contracts is that some owners won't or can't pay a month on top of the end of contract date.

Some players will be let go.

Some have new clubs.

You pick up one thread and it all unravels. 

What if they get seriously ill or injured in the extra month and it goes on beyond July. Compo?