EFL End of Season Plan Leak

3 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Synopsis please

Season unlikely to finish. Top 3 in each league to go up with no relegations, this will be fixed next year with more relegations. 

Also clubs have said they won’t pay players past the end of their contracts so the EFL have asked the clubs to find out how many out of contract players will play for free if the season is extended.

• Thanks 2

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, northeastowl said:

Season unlikely to finish. Top 3 in each league to go up with no relegations, this will be fixed next year with more relegations. 

Also clubs have said they won’t pay players past the end of their contracts so the EFL have asked the clubs to find out how many out of contract players will play for free if the season is extended.

That would be strongly contested by playoff contenders & hopefuls. I'm sure Brentford & Forest etc. would go apeshit if the leagues decide to hand Fulham promotion without winning it. 

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

That would be strongly contested by playoff contenders & hopefuls. I'm sure Brentford & Forest etc. would go apeshit if the leagues decide to hand Fulham promotion without winning it. 

We are 8 points off the playoffs with a quarter of the season to go. However unlikely it is I’d expect us and every club above us right up to 4th to take legal action against the EFL.

If in January, sides such as Forest, Bristol, Preston etc spent more money than they normally would have chasing the playoffs only to be told things have changed and the top 3 are going up without playoffs, then they can quite rightly consider themselves to have been hard done to.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Mishowl said:

Legal action by any club that is mathematically still able to finish in the top three.

top six, more like. Teams in 3rd aren't a given for playoff glory. Leeds fell last year, as did Brighton in 2016 when we knocked them out. 

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

We are 8 points off the playoffs with a quarter of the season to go. However unlikely it is I’d expect us and every club above us right up to 4th to take legal action against the EFL.

If in January, sides such as Forest, Bristol, Preston etc spent more money than they normally would have chasing the playoffs only to be told things have changed and the top 3 are going up without playoffs, then they can quite rightly consider themselves to have been hard done to.

They can't fairly "give" a club promotion. It would be opposed immediately. 

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Fair comment. 

Scrapping playoffs halfway through the season also constitutes a rule change. How do they expect to get away with that?  

Simply handing promotion to the top 3 is a preposterous idea.

Bottom line is, the season hasn’t finished so should it be null and void and everyone stays where they are until next season starts. If you cancel a season with one game to go, it’s still not finished. 

As said before, if the Govt health advisers deem it unsafe, any legal action will be laughed out of court. 

• Thanks 2

Legal action in my view would be in poor taste given the impossible situation we all find ourselves in. But this is football and someone would do it.

I think that it should just be no promotion or relegation this season and start next season as if it was this one. There is so much disruption to sort out from kits to contracts to fixtures, the euros. FFP.

its massively galling for teams at the top of a league but the balance has to be found between rewards this season and the wider game and getting everything back on schedule.

Despite this, due to the money already paid to the EPL, I suspect we will finish this season later this year or early next and perhaps have a long break til the summer of 2021. Effectively skipping next season. 

• Thanks 1

The EFL can’t hold a candle financially to the Premier League therefore even though I’m sure there is a will and a way from the EFL to complete this season, at least financially they’ll be unable to?

If Leagues 1 and 2 eventually realise that because of the particular reason stated above that they can’t complete the season then surely this means the championship season has to end as well? There has to be consistency across the EFL otherwise clubs in the championship have yet another reason to perhaps stage a breakaway?

This situation is sad for many reasons not least the tragic loss of life that the virus is responsible for but looking at football going forward, clubs are going to go out of business. Simple as that and if this happens there will have to be a restructure? The EFL in it’s current guise won’t be the same within the next 2 years IMO? And even though the EFL can claim sympathy because of the virus bringing certain issues to a head within their structure, the way they have generally governed their clubs over the years has led to clubs being in a position where they are unequipped to deal with the issues that they are currently having to deal with?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

2 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Synopsis please

Just to expand on @northeastowl 's post

• Doubtful games will be played in June, maybe July at earliest
  • EFL have said no games with fans until Jan 2021 earliest, unless vaccine/cure found
  • 66,000 tests required for players, with current testing for frontline staff only
  • Football "boses" can't sell players needing to "finish the season with that many tests" (almost verbatim, and I don't understand what this means)
  • Talking about (not decided upon) season to be decided on "football merit", so 3 promotions from each league, meaning PL would have 23 clubs. No relagations, but that to be absorbed season after
  • Football club owners legally have to provide safe working environments to their staff, so players can't play whilst upholding Social Distancing.
  • Legally clubs can't be enforced to extend contracts, so when contracts end on 30th June, if season continues in to July, no July severance pay will be paid to players
  • FIFA to advise on making severance payments, but clubs have told EFL they cannot afford this and won't be doing it.
  • Would players, out of contract on 30th June, be prepared to play in July knowing they wouldn't get severance pay, and maybe unable to sign for a new club next season (I don't know why a player couldn't sign for another club next season?)
  • Thanks 3