Oxford United 2 Sheffield Wednesday 2 - 1990

Guest Jack the Hat
On 26/04/2020 at 20:48, OWL1969 said:

I can't remember the goals or the match, but I was there and can remember the teddy Bears.

I think this was the 1st or certainly 1 of the first matches where they made an appearance.

Remember em being thrown at the commentary box behind the away end.

Although I thought it was a nice sunny day, that's probably my memory playing tricks with me.

I remember it being a nice sunny day too

9 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Notts County at home warnock did a dirty trick bu pretending they forgot their away kit making us play in yelllooowws at home if anyone can remember ...we were 2 up but ended 2-2.

Wolves on boxing day was a blizzard wasnt it?

I was at that Millwall away game, but lost got in late because of a hold up or something...we were 2 nil up and then nilsson and king both injured and we ended up losing 4-2.

Was there again for the fa cup game that ended 4-4 too.

Remember being at pompey away losing and carlton being sent off, raining, got back to sheffield about 9.30 then saw the small queue for the cup final tickets ...can you believe I ended up sleeping in the wooden South Stand after coming all the way back from Portsmouth that night? 

Crazy days!

We might have been on same bus because we got in at half time at Millwall. 

We also played at Millwall in cup a few weeks later drawing 4-4. 

I think Nigel Pearson broke his leg in first game. 

Well, well, well - since I posted this an Oxford fan has uploaded this little beauty to YouTube:

Not sure who has the worst game, Pressman, Palmer, or the cameraman. But some classic Hirst action, both for the first goal and the feint and throughball for the second.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am shocked that Pressman got beaten from distance with a low shot to his side. Shocked.

Going back to the earlier part of the thread I was only seven but remember this period really well. I can remember the inevitability that the Wolves game would end 2-2 with all the draws we had around that time. Wolves had Bull and Mutch up front then and i think they both scored. Absolutely hammered it down and Harkes got sent off for a water sliding lunge.

The Ipswich game we were losing 2-0 and then Francis came on for Phil King and completely changed the game. 

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

Well, well, well - since I posted this an Oxford fan has uploaded this little beauty to YouTube:

Not sure who has the worst game, Pressman, Palmer, or the cameraman. But some classic Hirst action, both for the first goal and the feint and throughball for the second.

Amazing, don't think I've seen those goals before. I always assumed a camera fault or something.

There was a camera fault for the New Years Day home game against Man City In January 1990 which we won 2-0 (the game Hirst went in goal). Fortunately I was at the game so do have some memory of it, including Person's goal which was a screamer in the top corner if memory serves me correctly!

On 27/04/2020 at 22:58, TaxiMark said:

Notts County at home warnock did a dirty trick bu pretending they forgot their away kit making us play in yelllooowws at home if anyone can remember ...we were 2 up but ended 2-2.

Didn’t we end up playing in Notts County’s kit? Or have I made that up?

2 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Didn’t we end up playing in Notts County’s kit? Or have I made that up?

Nah, we played in our away kit (yellow shirts, pale blue shorts). As I recall, their home kit was black and white stripes, away was dark blue maybe so referee decided neither was suitable. We did that for an FA Cup game against Derby in about 1986 as well. And in the Stuart Gray era (?) Millwall had to use our away kit for the first half because their's was late getting to Hillsborough and they made the change at half time when it had finally turned up.

Only times I can remember us using someone else's gear was playing in the blue and white stripes at Oxford in about 1989 but having to change to their yellow shorts and I think it was Tranmere when we used their green away shirt (and just after that created one of our own with the Chupa Chups branding to avoid it happening again). 

Most notorious of all of course was in 1993 when our home kit and all black second choice were deemed unsuitable for Newcastle. And so some genius at Puma and/or SWFC decided to create a custom kit which was white with black pinstripes, forcing them to play in blue at home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Posters have also forgot the game against Oldham at home in front of a good crowd. 2-0 down which we pulled back to 2-2. Our home form was poor that season which saw us go behind in a few games with the tactical decision to sacrifice King sometimes in the first half and put Francis on.

I wouldn't go as far as our home form being poor. We drew too many but we only lost 1 all season. 

It was my first away game (I grew up not far away). My first game stood up too. I don't recall much. I think Steve Whitton was on the bench and got roundly booed as his name was read out, would that be right? I remember Pressman was crap and got replaced by Turner for the rest of the season and that Paul Simpson was brilliant for them. 

Looking forward to watching the clip. I really dont think I have seen it since.

On 27/04/2020 at 05:57, thewookieisdown said:

I was there. Lived in Oxford at the time. 

Same here. Was staying at the girlfriends who was a doctor at the Radcliffe, she was in the accommodation at the hospital so i didn't have far to go. Can't remember a thing about the game now. Just remember me going because it was the closest  " away " game i'd ever been to 

I remember going to Notts County v Ipswich the Tuesday night before we played Bristol City at home. A win for Ipswich and we would been promoted and in the days before social media we wanted to witness Wednesday gaining promotion before anybody else. There were some other Wednesday fans on the away end but we left early with County being 3-0 up. Before kick off County had already resigned themselves to the play offs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Nah, we played in our away kit (yellow shirts, pale blue shorts). As I recall, their home kit was black and white stripes, away was dark blue maybe so referee decided neither was suitable. We did that for an FA Cup game against Derby in about 1986 as well. And in the Stuart Gray era (?) Millwall had to use our away kit for the first half because their's was late getting to Hillsborough and they made the change at half time when it had finally turned up.

If memory serves the Millwall game was at the start of Jones’ last aborted season with us - both teams were dreadful but we went 2-1 up before half time, then Reda gave away a really daft penalty at the end for them to equalise.