Oxford United 2 Sheffield Wednesday 2 - 1990

This match was completely glossed over in 'The Fight for Promotion' season video. And now, for my own perverse reasons, I find myself wondering what happened. It says here that Hirst and Wilson got the goals. But were the goals any good? Who set up the goals? Does any footage exist of this match? Or perhaps some newspaper reports survive. It says on that link that 6,061 people were there, on a (presumably) cold and dark winters day, 22nd December 1990.

If you have a problem, if nobody can help, and if you can find them, maybe I can call on the wisdom of Owlstalk?

• Haha 1

I can't remember the goals or the match, but I was there and can remember the teddy Bears.

I think this was the 1st or certainly 1 of the first matches where they made an appearance.

Remember em being thrown at the commentary box behind the away end.

Although I thought it was a nice sunny day, that's probably my memory playing tricks with me.

I was there. Lived in Oxford at the time. 

Can remember very little about it. But it came during a long period of mediocre results and not always especially great performances. We'd been quickly out the traps that season but then got bogged down from late October. There was a 4-2 loss at Millwall from 2-0 up which started the rot. By December we were losing touch with the top two. (That season there were three automatic places and a further play off place) 

We all look back on that season as a golden year, which of course it was, and there were some great days. The 3-1 win at West Ham most notably. But there were also quite a lot of frustrating days too

No defeats but only the one win during December, we got back on track on New Years day when winning an important game 2-0 at Boro who were just behind us in table. 

18. Sat  1 Dec  NOTTS COUNTY............ 2-2     4     23,474   David Hirst, John Sheridan
19. Sat  8 Dec  Bristol City............ 1-1     3     11,254   Danny Wilson
20. Sat 15 Dec  IPSWICH TOWN............ 2-2     3     20,431   Trevor Francis, Nigel Pearson
21. Sat 22 Dec  Oxford United........... 2-2     3      6,061   David Hirst, Danny Wilson
22. Wed 26 Dec  WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS. 2-2     4     29,686   Steve McCall, Carlton Palmer
23. Sat 29 Dec  PORTSMOUTH.............. 2-1     3     22,885   David Hirst 2

5 minutes ago, bradowl said:

No defeats but only the one win during December, we got back on track on New Years day when winning an important game 2-0 at Boro who were just behind us in table. 

18. Sat  1 Dec  NOTTS COUNTY............ 2-2     4     23,474   David Hirst, John Sheridan
19. Sat  8 Dec  Bristol City............ 1-1     3     11,254   Danny Wilson
20. Sat 15 Dec  IPSWICH TOWN............ 2-2     3     20,431   Trevor Francis, Nigel Pearson
21. Sat 22 Dec  Oxford United........... 2-2     3      6,061   David Hirst, Danny Wilson
22. Wed 26 Dec  WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS. 2-2     4     29,686   Steve McCall, Carlton Palmer
23. Sat 29 Dec  PORTSMOUTH.............. 2-1     3     22,885   David Hirst 2

And we weren't playing particularly well, were we. I recall the Notts C game: we were 2-0 up without ever hitting our stride, and then they came back. Wolves (which I didn't see) I think we were two up also; and then the home win against Portsmouth was nerve soothing, although we weren't really in form yet.

On its day, that team wasn't just the best in the division, but top six quality in the first. But there was a real inconsistency. Games, or sometimes just halves of football, where the mechanism just didn't seem to connect.

There would have been absolute melt down on here post the Ipswich game!

48 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

And we weren't playing particularly well, were we. I recall the Notts C game: we were 2-0 up without ever hitting our stride, and then they came back. Wolves (which I didn't see) I think we were two up also; and then the home win against Portsmouth was nerve soothing, although we weren't really in form yet.

On its day, that team wasn't just the best in the division, but top six quality in the first. But there was a real inconsistency. Games, or sometimes just halves of football, where the mechanism just didn't seem to connect.

There would have been absolute melt down on here post the Ipswich game!

Yes I remember us being 2-0 up in Notts and Wolves games, Wolves was played in torrential rain second half. 

The Notts County game was when Warnock was in charge of them, I'm sure I read somewhere that Big Ron threatened to stick Colin's head in a bucket of water in dugout. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Was this the run of games when fans started booing Sheridan ?  Fans were proper fans back then , not even wednesday legends escaped a good boo back then. Now it’s just third rate scapegoats get booed,  sad times 

No that was later in the season when ironically we played Oxford at home. We were awarded a penalty which Sheridan missed who then later misplaced a pass leading to Oxford scoring. We lost that game 2-0. At Portsmouth the following week the away following were doing their utmost to get behind Sheridan but we lost that game 2-0 and had Palmer sent off meaning he would miss the League Cup Final. The next game was at home to Blackburn which saw Sheridan score two goals, with the first goal celebration a show of defiance Sheridan's team mates towards the Kop not to boo Sheridan. The second goal celebration was back to business as normal.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

I was there. Lived in Oxford at the time. 

Can remember very little about it. But it came during a long period of mediocre results and not always especially great performances. We'd been quickly out the traps that season but then got bogged down from late October. There was a 4-2 loss at Millwall from 2-0 up which started the rot. By December we were losing touch with the top two. (That season there were three automatic places and a further play off place) 

We all look back on that season as a golden year, which of course it was, and there were some great days. The 3-1 win at West Ham most notably. But there were also quite a lot of frustrating days too

I was at that Millwall game. We were all over them until what seemed half the team got injured.

I think a few players including Nilsson were then out injured for a while.

33 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I was at that Millwall game. We were all over them until what seemed half the team got injured.

I think a few players including Nilsson were then out injured for a while.

That's the game that hirsty broke the world record distance of scoring with a header ... :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat

I was there. Remember the ground was tiny with low stands and the ball got kicked over a couple of times. Really enjoyed the game and the coach journey but that’s all i recall.

11 hours ago, bradowl said:

Yes I remember us being 2-0 up in Notts and Wolves games, Wolves was played in torrential rain second half. 

The Notts County game was when Warnock was in charge of them, I'm sure I read somewhere that Big Ron threatened to stick Colin's head in a bucket of water in dugout. lol

Notts County at home warnock did a dirty trick bu pretending they forgot their away kit making us play in yelllooowws at home if anyone can remember ...we were 2 up but ended 2-2.

Wolves on boxing day was a blizzard wasnt it?

I was at that Millwall away game, but lost got in late because of a hold up or something...we were 2 nil up and then nilsson and king both injured and we ended up losing 4-2.

Was there again for the fa cup game that ended 4-4 too.

Remember being at pompey away losing and carlton being sent off, raining, got back to sheffield about 9.30 then saw the small queue for the cup final tickets ...can you believe I ended up sleeping in the wooden South Stand after coming all the way back from Portsmouth that night? 

Crazy days!

• Like 4
  • Love 1