Oxford United 2 Sheffield Wednesday 2 - 1990

7 hours ago, mark77 said:

Amazing, don't think I've seen those goals before. I always assumed a camera fault or something.

There was a camera fault for the New Years Day home game against Man City In January 1990 which we won 2-0 (the game Hirst went in goal). Fortunately I was at the game so do have some memory of it, including Person's goal which was a screamer in the top corner if memory serves me correctly!

It was more cameraman fault than camera fault. The game was a 12pm kick-off, the cameraman didn't realise (or had been on the new year's sherry) and didn't turn up until just before 3pm!

This article explains more, it seems like it'll go down in history as the last top flight game to never be recorded:

https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/42-Media/9899-the-great-unwatched

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Used to love going to The Manor ground, proper old school ground with fans close to the pitch and always a great atmosphere.

Current stadium the Kassam is rubbish, soulless, fans only on 3 sides and hidden away in a retail park.

Completely agree. I lived in Oxford in the late 80s and early 90s, used to watch them a bit. Some great midweek cup games under the lights. Cracking atmosphere. There was a slope towards the home end which helped. 

9 hours ago, EXCALIBUR said:

Was at Portsmouth week after and Wednesday fans sung their heart out for him.typical bellend home fans 

Think next home game was Blackburn where Sheridan scored a cracker in front of the Kop and in his celebration told the crowd to go forth and multiply.

Sort of thing that would be made a fuss of today but no one was that bothered about at the time.

13 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Used to love going to The Manor ground, proper old school ground with fans close to the pitch and always a great atmosphere.

Current stadium the Kassam is rubbish, soulless, fans only on 3 sides and hidden away in a retail park.

Same with all new grounds that imo, always preferred the old grounds , loads of character and Identity to them.

Grounds these days are souless concrete bowls.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think next home game was Blackburn where Sheridan scored a cracker in front of the Kop and in his celebration told the crowd to go forth and multiply.

Sort of thing that would be made a fuss of today but no one was that bothered about at the time.

Sheri scored but wasn't that a pen v Blackburn? 

Also remember that Manor Ground and the cuckoo terrace...it was a very tough place to get a win bit like plough Lane.