Worst Full Back

16 minutes ago, Bakewell Owl said:

Bestwetherick suffered from "the Wednesday Effect" I had customers in the South West who were Plymouth fans, and they were gutted when he left for us, he won the PAFC player of the year award just before he joined us,then a 200 mile journey north in which he morphed into Bet Lynch in football boots

how do we do it

He was worse tho, he literally didn’t have a good ten mins never mind game he was just shocking the entire time he was on the pitch 

Mark Reynolds scared me when he played. I’d definitely say more so at CB than LB though.

I personally thing the poorest full back was Blondeau based on reputation.

There’s a few poor ones on the list but that’s when we were shopping around for freebies each year so you get what you pay for in that regard. 

14 hours ago, vulva said:

Stand out candidate for me is Rafael Floro. Forget who he played against, but I think he got subbed at half time on his debut. 

I’d have took him off after 6 minutes. 

That was, without doubt, the worst full back display I ever saw. Trippier and Ross Wallace absolutely destroyed Floro. 

Subbed at half time says it all.

On 24/04/2020 at 08:44, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Geary was one of our better players in a truly poo team. Had he not moved on to the blunts I don't think he would be in that list tbh.

He didn't move onto Blunts straight away.  We actually released him on a free transfer and he ended up at Stockport for a while before ending up at the Blunts.

4 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

He didn't move onto Blunts straight away.  We actually released him on a free transfer and he ended up at Stockport for a while before ending up at the Blunts.

He was only at Stockport for a few months I believe. Ended up with the blunts not long after bromby and quinn. 

22 hours ago, Garryswfcowl72 said:

I remember JJ playing right back at home he had nightmare lol 

Yep, remember that, not his fault though, as the crowd sang to Dave Jones, that Jermaine Johnson is not a right-back!

15 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Was it Barry Murphy who got subbed in the first half at home to Grimsby? Getting absolutely ripped apart. Could have been beswetherwick. Both woeful. 

From original list I didn’t mind Gilbert or Geary. Blondeau’s performance at Blackburn in the 7-2 had to be seen to be believed. Wish Gary Neville could do an analysis on it nowadays. Would be brutal.

It was Beswetherick.

Blondeau was utterly inept against Blackburn but I would argue he was equally as bad in his next game at home to Derby. They put 5 past us but only got 1 in the last 20 minutes - after Blondeau had been sent off!

7 hours ago, 1961OWL said:

That was, without doubt, the worst full back display I ever saw. Trippier and Ross Wallace absolutely destroyed Floro. 

Subbed at half time says it all.

Richie Humphreys performance in the League Cup game against the Blunts has to be a contender, might as well have been wearing a Utd shirt with the free ride he gave Devlin for 45 minutes.

To be fair he admitted it was one of the worst games of his career and was his first game at left-back. 

3 minutes ago, poite said:

Fernando Forrestieri. Awful full back  :ph34r:

Probably made a better fist of it than a few in this thread did at times but I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting where Monk announced this was his plan.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Probably made a better fist of it than a few in this thread did at times but I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting where Monk announced this was his plan.

I imagine it was a bit like...

"Fernando, you're starting today son...

...at full-back"

tenor (5).gif

14 minutes ago, poite said:

I imagine it was a bit like...

"Fernando, you're starting today son...

...at full-back"

tenor (5).gif

I'd have hoped they might have worked on it in a couple of training sessions but given it was abandoned as an approach after 45 minutes you might be right!

I had visions of Monk addressing the whole team along the lines of, "results have been poor of late so we are going to try something different, we can't hide away from the fact we are conceding too many goals so I've got a new defensive idea, 'Nando, you're playing wing-back next game."

Cue stunned silence for a minute or so while the squad await the punchline, this then turns to utter bewilderment as they realise it isn't a joke! 

On 24/04/2020 at 04:25, Dexter Morgan said:

Reuters-Brian-Barry-Murphy-Rochdale-1-800x504.jpg

Who out of these was your opinion of the worst full back you have ever seen, been watching the season videos on the YouTube page and it got me thinking, I’ve seen some absolute turd..

Brain Barry Murphy 

Julian Bennett 

John Beswetherick 

Patrick Blondeau (might be harsh) 

Juan Cobian

Simon Coleman 

Peter Gilbert

Mark Reynolds 

Steve Haslam 

Ian Hendon 

Richard Hinds

Daniel Jones 

Jon Otsemabor
John Hills 

Derek Geary (maybe) 

The good 

King 
Worthington 

Nolan 

Petrescu

Sterland 

Heckingbottom

Hinchcliffe 

Simek 

Nillsson 

Collins 

Briscoe (maybe) 

Spurr (meh) 

Thoughts? 

Zigor Aranalde 

Think the thing is most of the worst ones were free transfers when we were garbage. The stand out out is blondeau who I think pleat paid about £3m for ( stand to be corrected if wrong) which is a perfect example of how we went from top six premier to bankrupt third division.