Worst Full Back

1 hour ago, archieswfc said:

He was. It was an age thing though. He'd lost his pace. You can't play full back in the head like you can at centre half. He was brilliant at centre half for us. Think his debut was hull away, which he played full back. He was brought in to cover Roland Nilsson when he broke his leg. Anderson was awful that day. We found a winner trying out John Harkes at right back through this. 

Didn't we have half the ground at Boothferry park that day? He looked awful that day but became a key part of the squad back in the top flight. Always good at set pieces too.

Phil King was probably the weakest player in a great team. I think he would look pretty ordinary in most sides from the past 20 years. Palmer has been steady in some average sides. It's always hard to compare individuals like this. I'm sure King used to get dog's abuse but 25 years later we all remember him fondly...

10 minutes ago, Jimjamowl said:

Phil King was probably the weakest player in a great team. I think he would look pretty ordinary in most sides from the past 20 years. Palmer has been steady in some average sides. It's always hard to compare individuals like this. I'm sure King used to get dog's abuse but 25 years later we all remember him fondly...

Still he got voted Wednesday's Player of the Year back in 92' one of most glorious seasons in club's history.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, malek said:

Still he got voted Wednesday's Player of the Year back in 92' one of most glorious seasons in club's history.

I always thought that that was a strange vote; was he really more important to the side that season than Hirst, Sheridan, Nilsson, Palmer?

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

John Beswetherick hands down.

Id only disagree with a couple on your list... Cobian looked good in his few games (bar the last one). Haslam was a decent footballer was just in at the wrong time. Was a CH too really. Hills was decent at the time we had him and I didn't mind Hendon. Blondeau should have been class but wasn't. Atherton should be in that list he was rubbish in the premier league era.

Briscoe should be in the other list but bar that I agree with the good, Nillsson was a class apart. Petrescu was very good.

Mentioned Cobian in another thread recently. He seemed to be quite popular without actually doing very much. We finished halfway up the Premier League in the one season he spent with us yet we lost 6 of the 10 games he played in. Far from the worst full-back we have had in my time watching us but wouldn't get a mention anywhere near a group if the best either.

Atherton was solid enough, nothing special but played 200+ games for us at the top level and was a regular when we finished 7th. Replacing the best right-back we have had in my lifetime was never going to be an easy job.

Petrescu was an excellent footballer but wasn't great at the defensive side, a wing-back but not a full-back in my eyes, we had too much defending to do for him to be effective.

Agree on Hendon and to a degree Haslam though when he played at CB it didn't help, he simply didn't have the physique for it and as you say, we were a team in decline at the time which didn't help his development. 

7 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Who out of these was your opinion of the worst full back you have ever seen, been watching the season videos on the YouTube page and it got me thinking, I’ve seen some absolute turd 

Brain Barry Murphy 

Julian Bennett 

John Beswetherick 

Patrick Blondeau (might be harsh) 

Juan Cobian

Simon Coleman 

Peter Gilbert

Mark Reynolds 

Steve Haslam 

Ian Hendon 

Richard Hinds

Daniel Jones 

Jon Otsemabor
John Hills 

Derek Geary (maybe) 

The good 

King 
Worthington 

Nolan 

Petrescu

Sterland 

Heckingbottom

Hinchcliffe 

Simek 

Nillsson 

Collins 

Briscoe (maybe) 

Spurr (meh) 

Thoughts? 

Derek geary was really good for us if I can remember correctly. He could go up and down that line all game and still have Energy. It was the poo around him that was the problem! IMO he was better spurr and simek although I did like them as players. 

11 minutes ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

Derek geary was really good for us if I can remember correctly. He could go up and down that line all game and still have Energy. It was the poo around him that was the problem! IMO he was better spurr and simek although I did like them as players. 

Geary looked good and was popular because he played at a time when we had a mix of aging PL players who were past their best and didn't want to be here and players like Tony Crane who couldn't believe they were playing for us as they were never good enough and spent every other night on the p**s down town.

He played like it actually mattered to him which made him stand out, he wasn't bad but he wasn't great either and became a bit of a liability with the way he dived in at times. 

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Mentioned Cobian in another thread recently. He seemed to be quite popular without actually doing very much. We finished halfway up the Premier League in the one season he spent with us yet we lost 6 of the 10 games he played in. Far from the worst full-back we have had in my time watching us but wouldn't get a mention anywhere near a group if the best either.

Atherton was solid enough, nothing special but played 200+ games for us at the top level and was a regular when we finished 7th. Replacing the best right-back we have had in my lifetime was never going to be an easy job.

Petrescu was an excellent footballer but wasn't great at the defensive side, a wing-back but not a full-back in my eyes, we had too much defending to do for him to be effective.

Agree on Hendon and to a degree Haslam though when he played at CB it didn't help, he simply didn't have the physique for it and as you say, we were a team in decline at the time which didn't help his development. 

Can’t argue with much of that just remember Cobian being good. 

Really didn’t rate atherton. I agree it was a thankless task but he was just never good enough, was a lower end division one center half playing in the prem for me. He must have had something I didn’t see tho as like you say played 200 plus games for us 

Like the BoyBeevers I still have Reynolds performance at Dagenham & Redbridge lodged in my mind.

Out on the left touchline he attempted a left foot clearance and sliced it thereby nearly scoring an own goal from 40 yards.

Yet another example of Irvine (by then fired) wasting MM's hard-earned money.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Geary looked good and was popular because he played at a time when we had a mix of aging PL players who were past their best and didn't want to be here and players like Tony Crane who couldn't believe they were playing for us as they were never good enough and spent every other night on the p**s down town.

He played like it actually mattered to him which made him stand out, he wasn't bad but he wasn't great either and became a bit of a liability with the way he dived in at times. 

Certainly one of better right backs that we had here since we got relegated from Premier League.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, Jimjamowl said:

He might have been the "weak" link but his combination with Worthington down the left side was brilliant. Would still be far better than most of what we've had to put up with this century. Can't remember him getting much abuse, maybe that's just my memory.

11 minutes ago, malek said:

Certainly one of better right backs that we had here since we got relegated from Premier League.

From the list of good and bad in the OP I agree I would put him in the 'good' list but I think that says more about the quality of our full-backs in the past 20 years than his overall ability. 

6 minutes ago, Imre Varadi said:

Craig Armstrong.

Didn't he play midfield for us most of the time?

I remember him being pretty dire, his one contribution of note was a decent goal against Rotherham but we ended up losing the game and having Ronnie Moore dancing around Hillsborough at the end.

5 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Blondeau, was stunned when watched him in his 1st game for us. He got turned inside out looked like he had never played professional football. French international etc etc and we unearthed the only one at the time who was inept.

Good shout that he were bleeding useless.

2 hours ago, Jimjamowl said:

Didn't we have half the ground at Boothferry park that day? He looked awful that day but became a key part of the squad back in the top flight. Always good at set pieces too.

Yes we had the back of the net, a quarter of one side and half of the other side. Boxing day I think. Won 1-0. 

He was great on set pieces. As was Pearson and to a lesser extent Shirtliffe. Something we've struggled with since with the exception of the Reda Johnson days. 

Edited by archieswfc