Worst Full Back

Not sure on spelling, and hard to say worst ever as he only played once (I think) but Matthew Tumulty? He looked about 14 and five stone ringing wet. Was League Cup, I think in the era of Uchechi! I recall him ending up at RB. Like a lad who had won a competition.

On 24/04/2020 at 04:25, Dexter Morgan said:

Reuters-Brian-Barry-Murphy-Rochdale-1-800x504.jpg

Who out of these was your opinion of the worst full back you have ever seen, been watching the season videos on the YouTube page and it got me thinking, I’ve seen some absolute turd..

Brain Barry Murphy 

Julian Bennett 

John Beswetherick 

Patrick Blondeau (might be harsh) 

Juan Cobian

Simon Coleman 

Peter Gilbert

Mark Reynolds 

Steve Haslam 

Ian Hendon 

Richard Hinds

Daniel Jones 

Jon Otsemabor
John Hills 

Derek Geary (maybe) 

The good 

King 
Worthington 

Nolan 

Petrescu

Sterland 

Heckingbottom

Hinchcliffe 

Simek 

Nillsson 

Collins 

Briscoe (maybe) 

Spurr (meh) 

Thoughts? 

Don’t agree with Haslam or Geary on the bad. 

As for Nolan on the good!  One of the weakest links in that side and used to drive me mad. 

Right footed Left Backs rarely a good idea unless top notch, he wasn’t. 

• Like 1

Going further back, Don Megson was the first left back I saw in 1962 and the first choice for a long time. Wilf Smith too was right back for a while until he wanted to play midfield and asked for a move. Peter Rodrigues was solid for a while until we released him and he went to Southampton and won the cup with them. After that, Riay Blackhall and Richard Walden were the main right backs until Zico came in, and we had numerous left backs before Phil King, including Kenny Burton, Dave Clements, and Dave Grant of varying quality

On 26/04/2020 at 11:15, upperwinngardensowl said:

Don’t agree with Haslam or Geary on the bad. 

As for Nolan on the good!  One of the weakest links in that side and used to drive me mad. 

Right footed Left Backs rarely a good idea unless top notch, he wasn’t. 

Geary on the bad because he’s tainted 

From my own dim and distant memory, I would suggest Harold Wilcockson. IIRC he replaced Wilf Smith at right back around 1970? Probably after relegation. He was a very pedestrian footballer, players went past him as easily as body swerving a pram on a pavement, think he came from Donny for about £25 and four fruit salads.

Trouble was he replaced Smith, (Rolls Royce v Nissan Sunny) he must have been a Danny Williams budget signing, had gone by 1971. Anyone else remember him?

Shouldn't you be criticizing the managers who picked them, rather than the players themselves?

However limited their abilities may have been, I'm pretty sure that for the most part, they all tried their hardest. 

Maybe its our scouting system, assuming we have one, that constantly fails us.  

Think it’s harsh to put Otsemobor or Bennett in the worst category.

Average for what we spent on them. Both contributed to our league one promotion when held back with injuries. Bennett played at least half the season and scored a few goals. 

Neither anywhere close to being in a list of worst players.

Blondeau was a weird one. I don't actually remember seeing him play live but I remember listening to a Radio Sheffield commentary in which the co-commentator (a pro-footballer, possibly Laurie Madden), normally slow to criticise, kept saying 'We're all over the place at the back and it's all down to this new full-back, He just doesn't seem to know what he should be doing. I've never seen anything like it'

And yet he was French international who continued a successful career back in France, at Champions League level, after leaving us.

It's like we played the full-back role differently and he insisted on doing it his way. 

Mind you I've heard that other players of that era said that Pleat was so full of what he thought were clever ideas that nobody had a clue what he was on about.

Petrescu. Great footballer, one of the best I've seen at Hillsborough. But never a full-back. The writing was on the wall for Francis when we got mullered by Stan Collymore and Brian Roy, 7-1 at home. Even I could see that Petrescu was simply absent as a full-back and Francis didn't have a clue how to change it (not picking him as a full-back was all that was needed). Petrescu went on to be a leading light for Chelsea but NOT as a full-back. No wonder we sacked Francis after that.

On 24/04/2020 at 09:10, matthefish2002 said:

Showing my age a bit but I remember Viv Anderson was awful at full back for us when we first signed him to say he was an experienced international.

Yeah his legs had gone, was great at Centre Back though, a list of poor full backs has to have Reda Johnson on it, he was awful 

On 28/04/2020 at 11:11, sternlad said:

From my own dim and distant memory, I would suggest Harold Wilcockson. IIRC he replaced Wilf Smith at right back around 1970? Probably after relegation. He was a very pedestrian footballer, players went past him as easily as body swerving a pram on a pavement, think he came from Donny for about £25 and four fruit salads.

Trouble was he replaced Smith, (Rolls Royce v Nissan Sunny) he must have been a Danny Williams budget signing, had gone by 1971. Anyone else remember him?

he played in the same team as smith that got relegated …...smith had a spell in midfield and then went to left back …..my abiding memory of wilcockson was a stunning half volley he scored against QPR in his second season ,that apart he wernt much cop .

Who out of these was your opinion of the worst full back you have ever seen, been watching the season videos on the YouTube page and it got me thinking, I’ve seen some absolute turd..

Brain Barry Murphy 

Julian Bennett 

John Beswetherick 

Juan Cobian

Simon Coleman 

Peter Gilbert

Mark Reynolds 

Steve Haslam 

Ian Hendon 

Richard Hinds

Daniel Jones 

Jon Otsemabor
John Hills 

Derek Geary (maybe) 

The good 

King 
Worthington 

Nolan 

Petrescu

Sterland 

Heckingbottom

Hinchcliffe 

Simek 

Nillsson 

Collins 

Briscoe (maybe) 

Spurr (meh) 

Thoughts? 

Beswetherick played like he'd never seen a football before, only player I've ever seen get subbed after 15 minutes for simply being shít.

Brian Barry Murphy, played better when his ear fell off.

• Like 1

Brain Barry Murphy 

Julian Bennett 

John Beswetherick 

Juan Cobian

Simon Coleman 

Peter Gilbert

Mark Reynolds 

Steve Haslam 

Ian Hendon 

Richard Hinds

Daniel Jones