Worst Full Back

38 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Didn't he play midfield for us most of the time?

I remember him being pretty dire, his one contribution of note was a decent goal against Rotherham but we ended up losing the game and having Ronnie Moore dancing around Hillsborough at the end.

Yes, he did most of the time.

Joined for (I believe) 175k after he was voted POTY ar Huddersfield.

Only thing he did of note here was "murdering" Paul Merson with one of worst tackles I've ever seen in our 3:1 home loss to Portsmouth back in 02/03.

8 minutes ago, malek said:

Yes, he did most of the time.

Joined for (I believe) 175k after he was voted POTY ar Huddersfield.

Only thing he did of note here was "murdering" Paul Merson with one of worst tackles I've ever seen in our 3:1 home loss to Portsmouth back in 02/03.

He got there as quick as he could!

Portsmouth were a class above that season, played some lovely football.

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Can’t argue with much of that just remember Cobian being good. 

Really didn’t rate atherton. I agree it was a thankless task but he was just never good enough, was a lower end division one center half playing in the prem for me. He must have had something I didn’t see tho as like you say played 200 plus games for us 

If Peter Atherton had been called Juan Cobian and hadn't looked  like he had just spent three years in Rampton he would be being hailed as a great player. 

What this thread proves above any thing else and without a shadow of a doubt is that some people have absolutely shocking memories or are pretending to know things that happened before they were born.

We've got Centre Backs been called out as poo full backs......moved on the midfielders getting the same label....it will only be a matter of time before Mark Bright is on the list.

But way way up there on its own is the "Phil King was a weak link and got dogs abuse" post......classic!

8 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Showing my age a bit but I remember Viv Anderson was awful at full back for us when we first signed him to say he was an experienced international.

One of my favourite players, not only a great player but also a great character in dressing room. 

6 hours ago, LittleG said:

He might have been the "weak" link but his combination with Worthington down the left side was brilliant. Would still be far better than most of what we've had to put up with this century. Can't remember him getting much abuse, maybe that's just my memory.

Agreed; I think the point I’m trying to make is that it’s hard to compare good players in great teams with good players in average teams. I’d take Worthington first, then King then Petrescu at left back of all the one’s I’ve seen. RB Nilsson (obviously), Sterland then probably Atherton. But I’ve had a couple of ciders so might have missed somebody....

3 hours ago, Ian said:

What this thread proves above any thing else and without a shadow of a doubt is that some people have absolutely shocking memories or are pretending to know things that happened before they were born.

We've got Centre Backs been called out as poo full backs......moved on the midfielders getting the same label....it will only be a matter of time before Mark Bright is on the list.

But way way up there on its own is the "Phil King was a weak link and got dogs abuse" post......classic!

Maybe people just have slightly different opinions to yourself. 😉. I’m not saying King was bad, I’m saying that he was probably first on the list to be upgraded if you could improve on the 91-92 side. Move Worthington to left back and get a better left midfielder (which we tried and failed a year later with Sinton) and a more dangerous partner for Hirst (Bright for Williams). They would have been my changes so in my opinion King/Williams were the weaker players of that side. (Of course I’d swap them both for just about anyone we’ve had since). Who would you have upgraded from that side first?