Worst Full Back

25 minutes ago, vulva said:

Stand out candidate for me is Rafael Floro. Forget who he played against, but I think he got subbed at half time on his debut. 

I’d have took him off after 6 minutes. 

His debut was Rotherham away in the League Cup which we lost. I think he was subbed off on his league debut Vs Burnley which we also lost. And I don't think he played again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimjamowl said:

Maybe people just have slightly different opinions to yourself. 😉. I’m not saying King was bad, I’m saying that he was probably first on the list to be upgraded if you could improve on the 91-92 side. Move Worthington to left back and get a better left midfielder (which we tried and failed a year later with Sinton) and a more dangerous partner for Hirst (Bright for Williams). They would have been my changes so in my opinion King/Williams were the weaker players of that side. (Of course I’d swap them both for just about anyone we’ve had since). Who would you have upgraded from that side first? 

Williams one of the weaker players of that side....really?

To answer your last Question

Woods, Taylor. Watts, Hyde. Mackenzie, Jemson, Watson, Johnson, Jones, McCall, Chambers, Johnson

But if you'd rather upgrade King first then crack on

2 hours ago, Jimjamowl said:

Agreed; I think the point I’m trying to make is that it’s hard to compare good players in great teams with good players in average teams. I’d take Worthington first, then King then Petrescu at left back of all the one’s I’ve seen. RB Nilsson (obviously), Sterland then probably Atherton. But I’ve had a couple of ciders so might have missed somebody....

Thanks for giving more evidence of my point that people have shocking memories or never went

Petrescu was right back

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Williams one of the weaker players of that side....really?

To answer your last Question

Woods, Taylor. Watts, Hyde. Mackenzie, Jemson, Watson, Johnson, Jones, McCall, Chambers, Johnson

But if you'd rather upgrade King first then crack on

Why Ryan Jones? He was a really good player. It’s a shame the injuries did for him football wise. Why on earth is Hyde on that list. Watson after a shaky start was okay too.

7 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Why Ryan Jones? He was a really good player. It’s a shame the injuries did for him football wise. Why on earth is Hyde on that list. Watson after a shaky start was okay too.

simple answer to your first question is that I rated King more than Jones......but id agree that Jpnes was decent......again Hyde is on that list because he wasn't as important to that side as King was....nor was Watson

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Stand out candidate for me is Rafael Floro. Forget who he played against, but I think he got subbed at half time on his debut. 

I’d have took him off after 6 minutes. 

Was just going to post the same. Think it was Burnley at home. Feel like we only really signed him as an U23 player but he was utterly dreadful. Nightmare for all concerned.

Was it Barry Murphy who got subbed in the first half at home to Grimsby? Getting absolutely ripped apart. Could have been beswetherwick. Both woeful. 

From original list I didn’t mind Gilbert or Geary. Blondeau’s performance at Blackburn in the 7-2 had to be seen to be believed. Wish Gary Neville could do an analysis on it nowadays. Would be brutal.

5 hours ago, fudge27 said:

If Frankie Simek hadn't got Injured he'd have had a very good career at champ level I think. Used to love him 

Given how broke we were, he would have ended up at Villa Park

Aston Villa were definitely monitoring him and were preparing a 2 million bid before he picked up that nasty injury at Selhurst Park

The only problem with the good full back list is (yes I am also showing my age) Don Megson & Wilf Smith are missing. They were IMO without a doubt the best left & right backs I’ve seen at Hillsborough. Followed very closely by Roland Nilsson & Sterland, again it’s just my opinion but none of the others are anywhere near to these. As for the worst there’s way too many to mention. Just saying - UTO 

Edited by owlsruleok
Wrong word

21 hours ago, Jimjamowl said:

Phil King was probably the weakest player in a great team. I think he would look pretty ordinary in most sides from the past 20 years. Palmer has been steady in some average sides. It's always hard to compare individuals like this. I'm sure King used to get dog's abuse but 25 years later we all remember him fondly...

You are entitled to your opinion my friend.................but i cant even begin to tell you how wrong i think you are.

15 hours ago, Ian said:

What this thread proves above any thing else and without a shadow of a doubt is that some people have absolutely shocking memories or are pretending to know things that happened before they were born.

We've got Centre Backs been called out as poo full backs......moved on the midfielders getting the same label....it will only be a matter of time before Mark Bright is on the list.

But way way up there on its own is the "Phil King was a weak link and got dogs abuse" post......classic!

started watching Wednesday in 1987

thanks 

On 24/04/2020 at 09:18, Dutch McLovin said:

John Beswetherick hands down.

Id only disagree with a couple on your list... Cobian looked good in his few games (bar the last one). Haslam was a decent footballer was just in at the wrong time. Was a CH too really. Hills was decent at the time we had him and I didn't mind Hendon. Blondeau should have been class but wasn't. Atherton should be in that list he was rubbish in the premier league era.

Briscoe should be in the other list but bar that I agree with the good, Nillsson was a class apart. Petrescu was very good.

Bestwetherick suffered from "the Wednesday Effect" I had customers in the South West who were Plymouth fans, and they were gutted when he left for us, he won the PAFC player of the year award just before he joined us,then a 200 mile journey north in which he morphed into Bet Lynch in football boots

how do we do it