How and when will the season end ?

I think everybody agrees that to finish the season - if doable and sensible - is by far the best option. 

But it has to be with the same squads that the clubs currently have

If that isn't the case then the season cannot continue. 

It will be totally corrupted

Edited by scram

Priorities need to be in the following order:

1. Health and Safety

2. Integrity of the competition

3. Industry economics

With that in mind - and my own assumption that it will be extremely difficult to not just resume football - but to actually then finish the season (nevermind complexities around contracts, insurance, transfers, injury risk etc) I would do the following:

1. All league positions are confirmed as final, and the season is cancelled

2. Liverpool are confirmed as Champions, and the various European slots in their existing order.

3. A one game play off match happens between the bottom three and top three of Championship (eg Leeds v Norwich, Villa v WBA). I assume this would need to be BCD at a neutral venue

4. The same process applies throughout the leagues below until you get to the National League where team #1 is promoted to fill the gap left by Bury

5. Assuming the PL will have some financial penalties, an agreement is reached to reduce the next signed TV deal by the same amount - eg a 7 year deal is reduced by 100m a year

6. All games need to be completed by the end of June due to contract expiry, otherwise that will need figuring out. 

7. Projected losses due to missing match day income is allowable under P&S rules

8. Any punishments relating to P&S violations are now implemented the following season, and continue that way under the entire concept is reviewed / thrown out (which it should be)

40 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

1. Health and Safety

3. Industry economics

With that in mind - and my own assumption that it will be extremely difficult to not just resume football - but to actually then finish the season (nevermind complexities around contracts, insurance, transfers, injury risk etc) I would do the following:

2. Liverpool are confirmed as Champions, and the various European slots in their existing order.

3. A one game play off match happens between the bottom three and top three of Championship (eg Leeds v Norwich, Villa v WBA). I assume this would need to be BCD at a neutral venue

4. The same process applies throughout the leagues below until you get to the National League where team #1 is promoted to fill the gap left by Bury

5. Assuming the PL will have some financial penalties, an agreement is reached to reduce the next signed TV deal by the same amount - eg a 7 year deal is reduced by 100m a year

6. All games need to be completed by the end of June due to contract expiry, otherwise that will need figuring out. 

7. Projected losses due to missing match day income is allowable under P&S rules

8. Any punishments relating to P&S violations are now implemented the following season, and continue that way under the entire concept is reviewed / thrown out (which it should be)

if the current restrictions are not lifted none of this can happen.

Confirming Liverpool as champions would be the biggest joke in football ever. 

They haven’t won the league, there are 9 games remaining and 10 for Man City. 
Liverpool draw 5 games and lose 4, Man City win all 10 and with lots of goals and it’s their title.  

This season needs to be finished when it can be, and if they can’t find a reasonable way to do that then it should be voided. But give Liverpool the title? Do me a favour 

Edited by Southie_Owl

even if the 0.1% chance it resumed ,you only need 1 player to contract the virus while season resumes to then isolate that club for 2 weeks minimum and any other clubs they have played. we know this is all about money ,everyone who gets paid xyz is based on the amounts the club make clearly sky,bt, sponsors etc will want appx 20% of there seasons money back , the rooneys,sterlings of this world need to agree to waive at least 70% of there wages from when the season stopped until july 1st. this wont happen though . even if some miracle happened and next season could start by then 20-30% of clubs below premier league would be bust so you couldn't even draw up a fixture list in june for next season. this virus is here for 2-3 years ,even china what has imprisoned its population since jan 23rd and watches every move of there population even knowing who has and hasn't got it still cant shrug it off ,if a state like china cant stop it then sure as anyone else cant.  don't want to sound doom and gloom but that's what it is. 

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

1. Health and Safety

3. Industry economics

point 5 is a very good one that the present contract could be restructured to add on extra season and adjust monies so it don't hit clubs too much this next few months , but im more bothered about lower leagues than the big time charlies of premier league , point 6 agree with . the other points just cant agree with you, the season is based on either 38 or 46 games home and away to get fairest outcome, I hate pigs but they have a game in hand so win that there 5th in champions league spot worth tons, you cant possibly end season and base it on results upto now , that's why non league was voided even though south shields are way clear.

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

1. Health and Safety

3. Industry economics

I am pretty certain there won’t be a restart, but the only way to avoid disputes about what could have been, is to abort the season, with all results null and void. You can’t crown a winner, or allocate European slots, when the rules have changed, and mathematically places haven’t been secured You stop, void the season and start afresh next season, if we can. That way, nobody can say the decision is unfair, unlucky, yes maybe, but not unfair

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

if the current restrictions are not lifted none of this can happen.

this is based on the assumption there will be an opportunity to re-start

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I am pretty certain there won’t be a restart, but the only way to avoid disputes about what could have been, is to abort the season, with all results null and void. You can’t crown a winner, or allocate European slots, when the rules have changed, and mathematically places haven’t been secured You stop, void the season and start afresh next season, if we can. That way, nobody can say the decision is unfair, unlucky, yes maybe, but not unfair

unfairness will happen any way you cut it. For example, three teams get an extra £100m if you void the season. 

Unfairness will have to be tolerated in this current season and the way I outlined about is the least unfair way I can see it being managed

But the priority order I outlined is important. That’s mine, I accept people may have different ones or a different ordering.

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So in your world there’s no European competition next season since you can’t allocate any European slots?

Edited by McRightSide

Is it just me, but why the clamour to finish the season? There is a finite time period to cram 9 games in and we are a million miles away from that being possible, with 500+ people dieing daily the priority.

It isnt going to happen, all the FA, EPL, EFL are doing is trying to cover their arses to protect their money. Its bullshit, there is no sporting integrity playing games behind closed doors, accelerated fixture lists, or unfit squads, having not trained for going on two or three months.

The decision to be made is whether the season is void, or leagues expanded for those in promotion places and relegation scrapped. That will come down to the fewest teams affected threatening legal action, again all driven by money. Personally I think voiding is the fairest outcome. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

So in your world there’s no European competition next season since you can’t allocate any European slots?

Not that I care about EPL  or Europe, but likely the same teams, on the whole involved in European competitions. It would cause less disruption to temporarily expand European cup competitions by a few teams, than several  leagues. 

Edited by striker

I don't see how football or anything else can return to normal until we've found a vaccine/cure for this. If we get on top of it and start mixing again, it will flare up again and we'll be back in lock down. Could be months or years until we play again.  

Just now, Nut said:

I don't see how football or anything else can return to normal until we've found a vaccine/cure for this. If we get on top of it and start mixing again, it will flare up again and we'll be back in lock down. Could be months or years until we play again.  

Hope it's not years! Wouldn't surprise me if next season starts a little later, September or October though.

1 minute ago, Nut said:

There's already 2 cases in China where the virus has mutated one of which they are saying had the virus for 45 days and rather than his body rejecting it,  it sort of absorbed it in a symbiotic sort of way.

Scary. 

10 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

10 hours ago, rickygoo said:

The clubs will meet and come to a compromise based on UEFA guidance, legal advice, their own negotiations and sense of what’s right and doable what loses least money

:biggrin:

Seriously though; that was a good summary.

And to be fair that is as good a way as any to work out what to do. There has to be some sort of criteria. 

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Not really, it would be like this season never happened, each team will remain in their current leagues, and the same teams will restart the European competitions next year. It’s not perfect, but is the fairest option, and has the least complications

• Like 2