How and when will the season end ?

Here goes!!

One massive play off style weekend at Wembley, no fans, fully televised. 

Each division on separate days

Each team picks a normal matchday squad 

Every remaining fixture is played out in a  10 penalty shoot out basis

The winner gets the normal 3 points 

If it's equal after 10 penalties then 1 point each 

Promotion and relegation as normal 

Play offs then decided in the same way but with sudden death penalties as normal. 

Zoom style conference call on the scoreboard so fans can create a live atmosphere or a selection of the carnage celebration videos from each teams away games. 

1 minute ago, teddybeararmy said:

Here goes!!

One massive play off style weekend at Wembley, no fans, fully televised. 

Each division on separate days

Each team picks a normal matchday squad 

Every remaining fixture is played out in a  10 penalty shoot out basis

The winner gets the normal 3 points 

If it's equal after 10 penalties then 1 point each 

Promotion and relegation as normal 

Play offs then decided in the same way but with sudden death penalties as normal. 

Zoom style conference call on the scoreboard so fans can create a live atmosphere or a selection of the carnage celebration videos from each teams away games. 

Rock, paper, scissors might be simpler?

Don’t know if it’s been said, but the only way it would work is by loosing the 20-21 season that would  give us plenty of time to get the games in, even if it goes into next year it probably will anyway. That should give us a few months to concentrate on winning the Euros   Then hopefully the 21-22 season can start in the month of August.  UTO 

Just had a look at the tables as boredom is setting in now.

Didn't realise we’re only 9 points off the drop. I thought it was 14 or 15. Time to cancel the season and start again from scratch in September I reckon

35 minutes ago, Sheffield Owl said:

One suggestion I've heard is to play all remaing games behind closed doors but at a nutral ground in the hope of stopping mass gatherings outside...

How do the players stop 2 metres apart you can't have the nation working to social distancing and footballers doing what they want in the end these players have families to go home to

I genuinely don't understand why there is any discussion about cancelling this season.

Just let it conclude whenever it can, even if that is November, and then do a mini season following that.

Let this season conclude, whenever it can and if you can't fit in a full next season, just do one where everyone only plays each other once.

Surely better for the season that is 3/4 complete to be finished and the next season to be different, when everyone knows what rule changes to expect from the start, rather than cancel this season entirely.

There's quite a detailed article today in Then Athletic that delves into the complexities of footballer's contracts and the implications for finishing the season - contract extensions, implications for end of season bonuses etc. For example - 

A good example of this is how an English court might interpret a contract expiring on June 30 versus a court elsewhere in Europe, and it is based on the concept of “contractual intention”.

“In England, it is based on what an objective bystander would reasonably consider the intention of the contract to be,” explains De Marco. 

“In this case, the fact the contracts say June 30, it would be reasonable to assume that is what was intended. But under civil law, you look more at the subjective interpretation of intention. So, for example, if you had evidence to suggest the parties to the contract actually meant ‘until the end of the season’, you could more easily extend it.

There are, unsurprisingly, a variety of opinions. It's all a bit nerdy but, as ever, the devil is in the detail.

The contract situation is why the season cannot carry over - be totally corrupted and probably the most unsatisfactory outcome

The minutiae and interpretation of contracts is way above the heads of football authorities

It can so easily be argued that June 30th contract terminations are there to protect clubs as much as players - football is littered with examples of players who are released injured after contracts expire - they have set a precedent there because i'm fairly sure the player doesn't envisage that scenario - any more than a club wants to keep on a player after they have fulfilled their use to the club

Also there are legions of players who will not be prepared to take short term extensions when they are seeking the security of longer term contracts. Many will want to move on anyway

And then any player affected by this has the opportunity to just not play

Obviously the authorities are desperate to restart this season and conclude it because of the financial penalties if not - and that brings us to another issue - the TV contracts expire in mid July so if the games programme is not concluded by then that leaves a very vulnerable negotiating position when it comes to the new contracts

There are no easy options - i see there are 3 viable ones

Conclude this season by June 30th

Null and void the season

Use current positions as final tables

Obviously the first option is by far the preferable one - otherwise i can only see option 2 as an alternative

Playing one season with totally different squads is the worst of all the options

Edited by scram

11 minutes ago, scram said:

The contract situation is why the season cannot carry over - be totally corrupted and probably the most unsatisfactory outcome

The minutiae and interpretation of contracts is way above the heads of football authorities

It can so easily be argued that June 30th contract terminations are there to protect clubs as much as players - football is littered with examples of players who are released injured after contracts expire - they have set a precedent there because i'm fairly sure the player doesn't envisage that scenario - any more than a club wants to keep on a player after they have fulfilled their use to the club

Also there are legions of players who will not be prepared to take short term extensions when they are seeking the security of longer term contracts. Many will want to move on anyway

And then any player affected by this has the opportunity to just not play

Obviously the authorities are desperate to restart this season and conclude it because of the financial penalties if not - and that brings us to another issue - the TV contracts expire in mid July so if the games programme is not concluded by then that leaves a very vulnerable negotiating position when it comes to the new contracts

There are no easy options - i see there are 3 viable ones

Conclude this season by June 30th

Null and void the season

Use current positions as final tables

Obviously the first option is by far the preferable one - otherwise i can only see option 2 as an alternative

Playing one season with totally different squads is the worst of all the options

I think your third option will be what happens with some accommodation made in respect of no relegation and play off candidates possibly bought off with cash to head off legal challenges. But I don't think other than option 1 there is a good answer to this. There's unfairness built into everything. Even the delay will have helped teams like Leeds who have run out of steam at the end of the last few seasons. It'll be like starting the season again and they'll be off like a train. 

Edited by rickygoo

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

There's quite a detailed article today in Then Athletic that delves into the complexities of footballer's contracts and the implications for finishing the season - contract extensions, implications for end of season bonuses etc. For example - 

A good example of this is how an English court might interpret a contract expiring on June 30 versus a court elsewhere in Europe, and it is based on the concept of “contractual intention”.

“In England, it is based on what an objective bystander would reasonably consider the intention of the contract to be,” explains De Marco. 

“In this case, the fact the contracts say June 30, it would be reasonable to assume that is what was intended. But under civil law, you look more at the subjective interpretation of intention. So, for example, if you had evidence to suggest the parties to the contract actually meant ‘until the end of the season’, you could more easily extend it.

There are, unsurprisingly, a variety of opinions. It's all a bit nerdy but, as ever, the devil is in the detail.

Could also be interpreted the other way when a season is over on May 3rd or whatever and then say to the player you're getting no more pay :duntmatter:

6 hours ago, kevtheowl said:

Don’t know if it’s been said, but the only way it would work is by loosing the 20-21 season that would  give us plenty of time to get the games in, even if it goes into next year it probably will anyway. That should give us a few months to concentrate on winning the Euros   Then hopefully the 21-22 season can start in the month of August.  UTO 

How much would clubs lose by missing a whole season, especially the premier League teams.....compared to the £760m for not completing this season?

How would league 2 teams deal with no income for a season?

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

I think your third option will be what happens with some accommodation made in respect of no relegation and play off candidates possibly bought off with cash to head off legal challenges. But I don't think other than option 1 there is a good answer to this. There's unfairness built into everything. Even the delay will have helped teams like Leeds who have run out of steam at the end of the last few seasons. It'll be like starting the season again and they'll be off like a train. 

I think option three would open a whole new can of worms It’s all very well using the current standings as final placings, but if you do that, with no promotion or relegation, what’s the point? The only options really, are one and two

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I think option three would open a whole new can of worms It’s all very well using the current standings as final placings, but if you do that, with no promotion or relegation, what’s the point? The only options really, are one and two

Brugge have just been confirmed as Belgian champions - or will be soon.

Edited by rickygoo

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

They'd probably try for promotion but no relegation thereby minimising the number of teams affected.