How and when will the season end ?

Pretty sure things will snowball as UEFA and other European Leagues begin to make decisions especially with us reportedly being a couple of weeks behind.

Can't see how the season can be completed if a full 2020/21 season is required and be ready for the Euros. 

Even if some restrictions are lifted say late May cannot see mass gatherings being allowed or even behind closed door games.

7 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Pretty sure things will snowball as UEFA and other European Leagues begin to make decisions especially with us reportedly being a couple of weeks behind.

Can't see how the season can be completed if a full 2020/21 season is required and be ready for the Euros. 

Even if some restrictions are lifted say late May cannot see mass gatherings being allowed or even behind closed door games.

Plus from what I can gather, there is no appetite from people around Europe, to even think about getting these games played Think it’s just another case of the authorities, and football in general, living in a bubble

Edited by gurujuan

39 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Plus from what I can gather, there is no appetite from people around Europe, to even think about getting these games played Think it’s just another case of the authorities, and football in general, living in a bubble

Think ultimately football needs to take a reality hit - certainly the upper echelons. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

Indeed but it shows the Premier League can't simply void the season without UEFA's consent.

UEFA"s going to cancel the season in the next couple of weeks, imo. No point delaying further, can see the 20-21 season starting late as it is.

Edited by Big Jack

Once the current social distancing measures are eventually relaxed, that won't be the end of it: we'll most likely be in and out of this kind of setup for quite some time yet.

Someone I know who works for the NHS reckons October 2021 is the best current prediction for when these type of measures might no longer be needed.

It's hard to imagine how football might realistically resume and hope to complete a season, whether this one or next, if this holds true.

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Once the current social distancing measures are eventually relaxed, that won't be the end of it: we'll most likely be in and out of this kind of setup for quite some time yet.

Someone I know who works for the NHS reckons October 2021 is the best current prediction for when these type of measures might no longer be needed.

It's hard to imagine how football might realistically resume and hope to complete a season, whether this one or next, if this holds true.

Obviously the situation is far from predictable, and I'm surprised that anyone would be speculating about something that far into the future. But unless something very significant changes, such as an easily produced vaccine becoming available, everything I'm seeing does suggest the effects of this will be felt for a much longer period than the football authorities seem to be considering so far. As you infer, one ongoing strategy will be alternating periods of restrictions being tightened and loosened to try and manage this in the long run.

19 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Obviously the situation is far from predictable, and I'm surprised that anyone would be speculating about something that far into the future. But unless something very significant changes, such as an easily produced vaccine becoming available, everything I'm seeing does suggest the effects of this will be felt for a much longer period than the football authorities seem to be considering so far. As you infer, one ongoing strategy will be alternating periods of restrictions being tightened and loosened to try and manage this in the long run.

And yet I've just today listened to the Burnley chairman talking on 5 Live about it being 'inevitable' that they'll play games behind closed doors, finish this season off and 'get the job done'.

It seems like wishful thinking to me, probably caused by the unthinkable reality of what will happen to the gravy train once the cash stops flowing in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And yet I've just today listened to the Burnley chairman talking on 5 Live about it being 'inevitable' that they'll play games behind closed doors, finish this season off and 'get the job done'.

So the Burnley chairman is going to defy the law and ignore advice from the worlds leading scientist..

Or is he just crapping himself he might lose all the money sky bribed him with.

17 hours ago, Big Jack said:

UEFA"s going to cancel the season in the next couple of weeks, imo. No point delaying further, can see the 20-21 season starting late as it is.

Wimbledon cancelled in June, and told it can’t happen in July. Which means no live sport until August at the earliest. Realistically. How can we restart the season in August, fit in the 20-21 season and next summers Euros. It’s impossible. I think EUFA have a massive call to make on this one, given next seasons lucrative champions league also has to be arranged. Who goes into that, and when does it take place, given this years tournament still hasn’t finished, and contracts end in June. It’s a right mess.

There are rumours that FIFA/UEFA want an agreement from all clubs that contracts roll over until the end of the season - whenever that may be

I have a strong suspicion that there will be a lot of opposition to this - from clubs and players but both for different reasons

20 minutes ago, scram said:

There are rumours that FIFA/UEFA want an agreement from all clubs that contracts roll over until the end of the season - whenever that may be

I have a strong suspicion that there will be a lot of opposition to this - from clubs and players but both for different reasons

Can’t see that flying unless it’s mandated.

Sounds like the seriousness of the situation is beginning to sink in to the football authorities. Can't see any football being played here for quite some time and even some top flight clubs may struggle to survive by the sounds of it, which means many lower League clubs might go bust and the season can't be completed without many teams, as well as sponsorship, kit deals and contract issues. Think it shows how deluded; out of touch, self interested and greedy, football as been for a long time and during the pandemic crisis, in thinking of nothing but money beforehand and not enough protection for clubs of all levels, and in thinking that the season would be completed anytime soon.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/breaking-fa-season-not-completed-18057230

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Can’t see that flying unless it’s mandated.

I also think that there are many complex and possibly unsolvable issues that are protected in law - such as contracts for players, kit deals, TV deals, supporters issues such as ticket refunds etc etc

FIFA and UEFA think they are above the law - i think they will find out they aren't

But i still expect them to cobble together some outrageously unsatisfactory plan to finish "this season" 

5 minutes ago, scram said:

I also think that there are many complex and possibly unsolvable issues that are protected in law - such as contracts for players, kit deals, TV deals, supporters issues such as ticket refunds etc etc

FIFA and UEFA think they are above the law - i think they will find out they aren't

But i still expect them to cobble together some outrageously unsatisfactory plan to finish "this season" 

Fully agree.

I’m yet to see a clear decision making process and ranking of priorities from them...which IMO should be put in place before they start trying to work out what to do.

Then they can stress test the plans against their decision making process / priorities.

Whatever they come up with will wee wee some people off and treat some more favourably than others, so they need to be clear on the principles and gain agreement on that from members. 

For me, all this nonsense brings out very clearly one of the the things I really hate about football these days. The cuts off between leagues.

There's footage of the great Terry Curran goal at Bramall Lane in 1980. Barry Davis commentating. Yes, Barry Davis. MotD would quite often show a second division match; occasionally a third division match. A Monday newspaper might have reports on six first division games and a couple of second division games. No one wanted to be relegated, but if you were relegated it wasn't necessarily the end of the world. Fans had more fun watching a promotion campaign than lower table mediocrity, and gates would likely be higher.

Writing off this season would have been easier. Sorry, no one goes up or down. But now this has become a matter of economic existence, not sport, so promotion/relegation matters way beyond any sensible sporting measurements.

2 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

For me, all this nonsense brings out very clearly one of the the things I really hate about football these days. The cuts off between leagues.

There's footage of the great Terry Curran goal at Bramall Lane in 1980. Barry Davis commentating. Yes, Barry Davis. MotD would quite often show a second division match; occasionally a third division match. A Monday newspaper might have reports on six first division games and a couple of second division games. No one wanted to be relegated, but if you were relegated it wasn't necessarily the end of the world. Fans had more fun watching a promotion campaign than lower table mediocrity, and gates would likely be higher.

Writing off this season would have been easier. Sorry, no one goes up or down. But now this has become a matter of economic existence, not sport, so promotion/relegation matters way beyond any sensible sporting measurements.

That's a great post, and one which encapsulates the issue perfectly.

For many, the advent of the Premier League appeared to be a glorious new dawn; in many ways it's turned out to be the beginning of the end.

Football will eat itself.

21 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It seems like wishful thinking to me, probably caused by the unthinkable reality of what will happen to the gravy train once the cash stops flowing in.

I heard somebody from Exeter City saying exactly the same thing on Spotlight South West last night. 

He was expressing his opinion as if the behind closed doors scenario had already been decided using the “ clearly “ word.

”Clearly all the players will be tested before the match “ etc etc

• Thanks 1

I think there is an increasing inevitability that there will be no football before August at the very earliest, more likely October or later if we're lucky (considering current restrictions due to be in place until the end of June and players need to get match fit which will take a mini pre season of 3-4 weeks). Therefore I dont see next season starting on time if I'm honest, even if/when this season is voided.

Dont forget, this virus  isn't going to be cured and disappear overnight, all we're doing is buying time to build capacity in the NHS. No treatment, no vaccine as yet.