How and when will the season end ?

What are your thoughts on how football in the EFL and Premiership will be concluded ?

Do you think that the powers that be will play a waiting game , and if so for how long ? Recommence the season in , say June/July or whenever government orders allow and then start the following season late.

Do you think that they might knock the season on the head as it currently stands , awarding promotion to the top two and going ahead with playoffs and relegation... can’t see that happening myself.

Or maybe declare this season null and void and start afresh next season.

The longer that this situation goes on then there is less time for a contingency strategy.

What are you predictions Owlstalkers 

It won't be finished because the virus will carry on past June. Player contracts; sponsorships, shirt deals, the transfer window, player and fan safety, the emergency services and numerous other things, make it difficult to finish the season after June. It will have to be cancelled and restarted whenever football can fully return. I don't see how it can possibly be completed, without endangering people and causing even more strain upon the emergency services and disruption to future seasons and future competitions. There are far more important things to worry about than sport. Football as become distasteful nowadays and it needs to get real again. However, I don't see it changing much once it ever returns, the big clubs and big Leagues, will still be just as selfish and greedy.

Just declare it void now, delete it from the records, even the league cup that has been decided, and allow plans for next season to start

Just put everyone out of their misery

Read somewhere that all leagues below National League level have already done this

Edited by the third man

2 minutes ago, the third man said:

Just declare it void now, delete it from the records, even the league cup that has been decided, and allow plans for next season to start

Read somewhere that all leagues below National League level have already done this

Yep, the FA have done exactly that below National League level...and a group of clubs are already lobbying them to reverse their decision.

Common sense would dictate that this season can't be completed and the only course of action available will eventually be to cancel it for all levels of the game.

Once contracts expire and players complete previously-agreed moves or refuse to extend contracts or loans for a month or so, you could have a situation where the squad that plays the final 9 games of the season is significantly different from that which played the previous 37, which opens up all sorts of issues around the integrity of the competition.

You can't have promotion or relegation decided in such circumstances.

I honestly think this season is a write-off. Go again from scratch once we're in a position to do so.

Of course, there will be clubs who aren't happy with that and the whole thing will be tied up in legal red-tape, challenges and counter-challenges for years to come. You'd hope they'd understand that there's nothing else to be done given the circumstances, but when there's money at stake, football no longer has any morals.

I heard an interview with a doctor on the radio the other day, she said social distancing would most likely be needed for up to a year if a vaccine isn’t discovered and rushed through

Cant see football being on the agenda again for a long long time

44 minutes ago, the third man said:

There would be longer queues for hanging trees in Stanley Park than there would be for a Supermarket giving Bog Rolls and Pasta away for free if they voided it 

Be well funny tho which could lift the mood somewhat for most of the country 

Edited by Lawrie Madden
  • Haha 3

We'll end up doing the same as we've done with the lower leagues. All cancelled & all records expunged. Having Liverpool & Leeds supporting relatives I can't wait for it to be announced.

Edited by mogbad
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, mogbad said:

We'll end up doing the same as we've done with the lower leagues. All cancelled & all records expunged. Having Liverpool & Leeds supporting relatives I can't wait for it to be announced.

It’s the only good thing to come out of this disaster

Liverpool and Leeds suffering is the ray of sunshine our country needs

• Haha 6

There is not a cat in hells chance this season will finish unless we start it in September and then next season will not happen.

I am pretty sure EUFA will ask associations across Europe to cancel this season. Somethings are bigger than football.

We should then concentrate on next saeson.

1 hour ago, mogbad said:

Obviously the decision to cancel the season needs to be made after any punishment/points deduction is dished out to us by the EFL.