How and when will the season end ?

Sorry haven't read through the thread so no doubt i will be repeating some previous posts but here's my thoughts anyway.

Obviously any proposals will be dependant on the eventual timeline for loosening of lockdown restrictions.  However with 9 games to be played this should only take a month to complete. I imagine the first few games will he played behind closed doors. Playoffs will need to be either:

1) scrapped with 3rd getting auto

2) one off final between 3rd and 4th

3) semis just 1 leg with highest teams at home

Think leagues need to set deadline dates by which they must start and finish this season. Everyone knows where they stand then. 

Given the long break, no need for such a long layoff between end of this season and start of next one. Next season can be run over shorter period by utilising more midweek games, reduce number of teams in FA and League Cups and remove International friendly fixtures.

Bloody easy this football administration lark.

3 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Sorry haven't read through the thread so no doubt i will be repeating some previous posts but here's my thoughts anyway.

Obviously any proposals will be dependant on the eventual timeline for loosening of lockdown restrictions.  However with 9 games to be played this should only take a month to complete. I imagine the first few games will he played behind closed doors. Playoffs will need to be either:

1) scrapped with 3rd getting auto

2) one off final between 3rd and 4th

3) semis just 1 leg with highest teams at home

Think leagues need to set deadline dates by which they must start and finish this season. Everyone knows where they stand then. 

Given the long break, no need for such a long layoff between end of this season and start of next one. Next season can be run over shorter period by utilising more midweek games, reduce number of teams in FA and League Cups and remove International friendly fixtures.

Bloody easy this football administration lark.

Reducing the number of teams like you've just mentioned is going to happen in any case once we've come out of this emergency and sadly,a fair number of lower league clubs are going to go bust at the end of it.So as things stand,the EFL and the PL are going to have use this lockdown period to draw up plans on restucturing the pyramid system.Finally,there are now serious doubts on the 2020/21 season as well.:tango:

There are so many factors to consider. 1

Ideally, the season is finished, but, bar a minor miracle, I can't see that happening atm. 

Ideas of voiding next season or truncating next season bring up similar issues to voiding the current season, particular with respect to tv money, matchday income and so forth. 

Needless to say, I think the fallout from this will be pretty catastrophic and I'd be pretty surprised if all the league clubs are still active by the end of it. 

7 hours ago, mildatheart67 said:

Breaking  news

What a load of BALLUX

Can't believe i actually heard most of that. 

Anyone who believes this is remotely true needs their bumps feeling.

Edited by Pulsar

Most reasonable people would accept that it would be better to write of the current campaign, and give ourselves time to plan properly for next season. Aside from the fact that it feels morally wrong to thinking about football at this moment in time, there is enough evidence that it just isn’t going to happen this season Hopefully in six months, things might be returning to normal, and we can start to consider sporting events again. At least if we null and void the current season now, clubs and the people in charge, will have time to make contingency plans if the start date of next season has to be put back. To try and finish this season, without messing around with the rules, and allow the clubs a proper, full training pre season, will be impossible in my eyes. Better to start from scratch again next season, if we can.

Edited by gurujuan

39 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

What a load of BALLUX

Can't believe i actually heard most of that. 

Anyone who believes this is remotely true needs their bumps feeling.

And i can't believe i forgot what day it was ffs!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Most reasonable people would accept that it would be better to write of the current campaign, and give ourselves time to plan properly for next season. Aside from the fact that it feels morally wrong to thinking about football at this moment in time, there is enough evidence that it just isn’t going to happen this season Hopefully in six months, things might be returning to normal, and we can start to consider sporting events again. At least if we null and void the current season now, clubs and the people in charge, will have time to make contingency plans if the start date of next season has to be put back. To try and finish this season, without messing around with the rules, and allow the clubs a proper, full training pre season, will be impossible in my eyes. Better to start from scratch again next season, if we can.

Someone else suggested that we cancel next season and use the time to finish this season and maybe have an ad hoc competition or two to pad it out.

That way no one loses what they have achieved this season so far.

I am inclined to agree. 

3 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Someone else suggested that we cancel next season and use the time to finish this season and maybe have an ad hoc competition or two to pad it out.

That way no one loses what they have achieved this season so far.

I am inclined to agree. 

Except the 2 billion odd in lost revenue they recon cancelling next season will cause.

Unfortunately it will all be decided by the Premier League and it will all be dictated by what saves the most money.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Except the 2 billion odd in lost revenue they recon cancelling next season will cause.

Unfortunately it will all be decided by the Premier League and it will all be dictated by what saves the most money.

Possibly

5 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Possibly

If they cancel any season then it will be this one not next season. but I dont think they will want to cancel any season. but maybe left with no choice if this goes on for months and months.

As for the other leagues they will just agree to what the premier league decide happens to there league.

Just read a good article in The Mirror, Tottenham's chairman saying football needs to stop living in a bubble and get real with what's going on. 

I think it was referring to players not wanting to take pay cuts.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but even if they did decide to complete this seasons fixtures when things get back to some sort of normality, i'm guessing the clubs would want a few weeks to play some warm up games to get players back to some sort of match fixtures which would delay things even further.

This all would have a knock on effect to next season and then with the Euro Championships to take place now in the Summer of 2021 so next season couldn't go on much further than originally scheduled for.

If they really want to finish this season the only solution I can think of is to play a shortened season 2020/21 and maybe only play each other once either home or away. 

I would be totally against situation whereby we were making things up as we go along  Abort, and start again, then it’s the same for every club. That is what I believe happened when war broke out, so there is a precedent 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I would be totally against situation whereby we were making things up as we go along  Abort, and start again, then it’s the same for every club. That is what I believe happened when war broke out, so there is a precedent 

War broke out in September so the season was not even a month old bearing in mind seasons used to start towards end of August so it’s a bit different this season with 3/4 of the season now played.

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Not in 1914 it didn’t.