How and when will the season end ?

Guest timrud

And who knows, Liverpool might do something that results in a points deduction - lots of potential 'what if's'

The fairest thing is just start the season again, forget it even happened.

2 hours ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

What about in the PL where one of the bottom three has played one less game and another 3 points would see them out of the relegation zone

What if they lose and they’re not?

What if they draw and they’re not?

Option: calculate average PPG and apply that

53 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I can't see the FA et'al doing that as there will be then 2 seasons of potential disruption as opposed to only one. My 2 penneths worth is that we will scrap this season and expunge the results, player transfers etc will stand but we will aim to start with a clean slate in August (Corona willing).

This, it’s the only sensible decision, if we can’t complete the fixtures before the end of June

10 minutes ago, the third man said:

The reason the PL want to finish the season is because they don't want to pay back / not get the money from Sky etc

However what they don't seem to realise is that if next season has to be shortened in some way then they wont get the full money next season

I wonder how many teams have already spent the money by getting loans against it and that's why they are worried

Yes, clubs and competitions will have to take a hit, this season or next Aborting this season, and voiding all the results, is less of a logistical nightmare

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

What about in the PL where one of the bottom three has played one less game and another 3 points would see them out of the relegation zone

Btw my proposal is a playoff between the top 3 in Championship 

So they only have to win 1 game against lower opposition to stay up.

That - IMO - takes out the game in hand argument. It’s still in their own hands.

17 minutes ago, the third man said:

The reason the PL want to finish the season is because they don't want to pay back / not get the money from Sky etc

However what they don't seem to realise is that if next season has to be shortened in some way then they wont get the full money next season

I wonder how many teams have already spent the money by getting loans against it and that's why they are worried

Not quite the same circumstances as happened in 2002 when ITV Diigital went pop, but there were a few clubs then that had spent the money before they got it.

Makes you wonder if anyone thought about taking up insurance (if that's possible) against loss of revenue if the current TV deals end up going pop as would seem to be with this current crisis.

20 minutes ago, the third man said:

I think they might be aware of things like that - especially if they read OT!

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Btw my proposal is a playoff between the top 3 in Championship 

So they only have to win 1 game against lower opposition to stay up.

That - IMO - takes out the game in hand argument. It’s still in their own hands.

Why just the top three?

Positions 3 to 6 have a chance of going up, in fact more than that have a chance of going up

and how many teams have a chance of being relegated, including us

you cant pick teams to go up or down based on matches they have played and ignoring the ones they haven't

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

What if they lose and they’re not?

What if they draw and they’re not?

Option: calculate average PPG and apply that

You can only do that if you take the number of points each team has from playing each other once, and to see how misleading that would be, it would put us third, great for us, not fair on others

how can you guess the results of the matches not played based on the ones that have been

if predicting results was that easy, we would have all have won the pools, or made a fortune from betting on football

1 hour ago, the third man said:

Probably loads of them. Never mind

I think your last point might be very near the truth for a lot of the smaller clubs

Why just the top three?

Positions 3 to 6 have a chance of going up, in fact more than that have a chance of going up

and how many teams have a chance of being relegated, including us

you cant pick teams to go up or down based on matches they have played and ignoring the ones they haven't

Because it’s completely unprecedented and you have to make a decision somewhere. 

Wherever you make it, it will be unfair to someone. 

I believe my proposal of allowing third top v third bottom is the least unfair

Everyone needs to realize this is not going to be a fair ending to the season whatever happens, and therefore stop looking for a fair solution.

You can only do that if you take the number of points each team has from playing each other once, and to see how misleading that would be, it would put us third, great for us, not fair on others

how can you guess the results of the matches not played based on the ones that have been

if predicting results was that easy, we would have all have won the pools, or made a fortune from betting on football

That’s why I wouldn’t do it. I would do the play off

Guest timrud

Making sure next season isn't impacted is more important than completing this one.

Football is a key player in us getting back to normal, so having a normal next season is vital in showing we are normal again

3 minutes ago, timrud said:

Making sure next season isn't impacted is more important than completing this one.

Football is a key player in us getting back to normal, so having a normal next season is vital in showing we are normal again

I disagree. Completing the season that is three quarters done already is paramount. But it must be done when it’s safe to. Even if that means waiting until November.

Next season should then be cut short. This might happen anyway if there’s a second wave. What I would do about next season is not play the League cup, have the FA cup if there’s time (but no replays in any round) and the league be done in World Cup format. If you go out in the group stage, have a separate tournament to decide who gets relegated.

As for Europe, still keep champions league and europa but both straight knock out in every round. 

15 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

As for Europe, still keep champions league and europa but both straight knock out in every round. 

Wont happen, the clubs will lose to much money, you do realise any decisions will not be about football or the fans, but how much money the clubs and football Associations can make

Non fully completed domestic seasons according to UEFA might constitute in an European competitions ban for that League. If the domestic season can't be completed in some way before the end of the June, which looks highly likely, there are too many issues with finalising the season after the end of the June. Such as sponsorships; player contracts, TV deals, kit deals, transfer windows, clubs potentially on the brink, etc.

The most sensible decision is to cancel the season and restart whenever it's safe to do so. The Premier League etc, are just delaying the inevitable as they're only selfishly looking at it from a financial viewpoint. There's no safe way of completing the season before the end of June, as playing matches behind closed doors will endanger lives and will put unnecessary strain on the emergency services. There are far more important things to worry about than football. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

There are far more important things to worry about than football

In which don’t worry about it. The football authorities can do that. They’ll finish the season if they can and won’t if they can’t. If it’s dangerous they won’t play - simple as.  Whichever version of not finishing is chosen will be a distant second best and probably won’t affect Wednesday in any way.

But fundamentally it will be the clubs that decide amongst themselves. Whatever happens it will be what a majority of clubs and UEFA want. And money is a perfectly acceptable criteria to consider. 

Edited by rickygoo

Guest Willow Owl
22 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Non fully completed domestic seasons according to UEFA might constitute in an European competitions ban for that League. If the domestic season can't be completed in some way before the end of the June, which looks highly likely, there are too many issues with finalising the season after the end of the June. Such as sponsorships; player contracts, TV deals, kit deals, transfer windows, clubs potentially on the brink, etc.

The most sensible decision is to cancel the season and restart whenever it's safe to do so. The Premier League etc, are just delaying the inevitable as they're only selfishly looking at it from a financial viewpoint. There's no safe way of completing the season before the end of June, as playing matches behind closed doors will endanger lives and will put unnecessary strain on the emergency services. There are far more important things to worry about than football. 

For me it’s cancel the season. Even though it’s extreme the reality is carrying it on to next season will mean to many competitions put in jeopardy or cancelled. Especially with the Euros 2021 date confirmed. Maybe the leagues can introduce a handicap system similar to duckworth Lewis in cricket. For instance Liverpool start with 10 points, Man City 7 points etc.  Apologies if already mentioned or is a stupid idea

Guest Willow Owl
10 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

In which don’t worry about it. The football authorities can do that. They’ll finish the season if they can and won’t if they can’t. If it’s dangerous they won’t play - simple as.  Whichever version of not finishing is chosen will be a distant second best and probably won’t affect Wednesday in any way.

But fundamentally it will be the clubs that decide amongst themselves. Whatever happens it will be what a majority of clubs and UEFA want. And money is a perfectly acceptable criteria to consider. 

Also think Sky, BT Sports and Amazon will have a massive influence because of the money they have already Invested or will Potentially invest.