How and when will the season end ?

3 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Also think Sky, BT Sports and Amazon will have a massive influence because of the money they have already Invested or will Potentially invest. 

However this ends, you can bet that money will play a very major part in the final decision one way or another.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

However this ends, you can bet that money will play a very major part in the final decision one way or another.

Like a lot of other businesses, they might just have to suck it up. 

I can’t see another game being played. And if the players refused a pay cut, it could change the game forever in relation to the relationship with the public. 

14 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Btw my proposal is a playoff between the top 3 in Championship 

So they only have to win 1 game against lower opposition to stay up.

That - IMO - takes out the game in hand argument. It’s still in their own hands.

Don’t forget that it’s not only about the championship, if the EFL. make a ruling it has to include league one and two. In league one there are about two or three points between second and about tenth so that would would be difficult to have playoffs. Also how would relegation work?  For me the season has to be finished in full at some time or it’s void. 

16 minutes ago, Howards back said:

Don’t forget that it’s not only about the championship, if the EFL. make a ruling it has to include league one and two. In league one there are about two or three points between second and about tenth so that would would be difficult to have playoffs. Also how would relegation work?  For me the season has to be finished in full at some time or it’s void. 

Exactly the same way, I mentioned that In my first post.

The only difference is when you get to League 2 and there’s an immediate promotion from NL to fill the gap

It’s probably been mentioned but I can’t be bothered to read 14 pages...Reckon it needs to go along the same lines as 1939...draw a line under it and resume when the country is in a state to continue. It could be the best thing to happen in years...

on another note... how many of our bloated, self important, egotistic players will be keeping fit and thinking about getting back to full training and actually giving a shyte.

I’ve been an advocate for this season to be completed, only when safe to do so. But following Chansiri’s recent interview I genuinely have lost that feeling now.

It will be harsh on teams like Liverpool, Leicester, pigs, wba, Leeds, Coventry, Oxford, Wycombe and Crewe who are having decent seasons that could change their trajectory, but as a Wednesday fan football can do one for me now. Seriously wouldn’t care if the whole thing implodes as it might help us out if the format has to start again. 
If Liverpool fans think they’ve got it rough, try being an owl with our current ownership. 

Edited by Owls-Fan

14 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Football survived for over a hundred years without the Premier League and would get by for another hundred without it.

But If the premier league went then the structure of a top league would still be there just under a different name.

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

If the Premier League go bust what are the odds on the EFL surviving? 

That’s purely hypothetical in my opinion. The PL won’t fail. It’ll come back with a bang when all this is over. Football will be more popular than ever especially the PL. 

13 minutes ago, shandypants said:

That’s purely hypothetical in my opinion. The PL won’t fail. It’ll come back with a bang when all this is over. Football will be more popular than ever especially the PL. 

If ethics, fairness and humility were the measures of how successful the Premier League was, they would never have made it to 1994. However damaged the reputation of the game is when it eventually resumes, it won't be long before it's business as usual at the top level. As for lower down the league pyramid, that's a different matter. The Premier League and it's clubs, especially the bigger ones, have rarely paused to consider those less fortunate. I doubt that will change very much in the long run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

If the Premier League go bust what are the odds on the EFL surviving? 

I couldn’t care whether it survives or not. 

They couldn’t organise a p1ss up in a brewery. 

If the EFL didn’t survive, clubs would re-organise in a new organisation. 

And as we have seen before, if Clubs fail, they will phoenix into a 2020 version of their previous club. 

All this may well give football the shake up it needs. Seeing players on £150K a week plus whilst  ordinary staff are furloughed is about as morally bankrupt as it gets. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, toppOwl said:

If the Premier League were to go bust it would be one positive to this whole tragic crisis.

Other than the teams in the Premiership and the top four or five in the Championship I can’t see a whole lot of people disagreeing with you !!

3 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I couldn’t care whether it survives or not. 

They couldn’t organise a p1ss up in a brewery. 

If the EFL didn’t survive, clubs would re-organise in a new organisation. 

And as we have seen before, if Clubs fail, they will phoenix into a 2020 version of their previous club. 

All this may well give football the shake up it needs. Seeing players on £150K a week plus whilst  ordinary staff are furloughed is about as morally bankrupt as it gets. 

100%

I really hope the government would slap a 50% interest rate with immediate payback of any loans/grants they take up in this crisis

And  no club should be allowed to spend one penny on transfers until this is done - in fact i'd like them to be embargoed for 3 years

There is no justification whatsoever for premier league clubs to furlough any staff.

In the report this morning they've put a figure on it. For all the bullshit talk of sporting integrity, it comes down to £762m.

It's not a small sum, I admit, but hope they'd be honest and accept it's just about the money, nothing to do with sporting integrity or the fans. 

Then again, it was a £3bn deal, so hardly on the bread line, unlike some of the staff certain clubs have reduced salaries for.

Dont think any of the multi millionaires involved in football come out of this public money squabble well, when almost a million people last week sought help from universal credit, many of

whom will be football fans who've contributed a much larger portion of their earnings to support clubs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692

• Like 1

Garry Lineker was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show this morning and he said that most clubs are happy if they break even during a normal season.

After this is all over maybe the football industry can recalibrate itself and start to pay wages that they can afford. There’s always going to be young fit talented individuals that would pull on the shirt for a fraction of the wages. It’s not like harvesting cauliflowers in a freezing East Anglian field where only impoverished Eastern Europeans are desperate enough to turn up for work.

Maybe this is the time to initiate change.

Said this in another thread and sort of rings true here a bit. Essentially I think voiding it is the most sensible thing....

Personally I'd like to see the gravy train turned off. If not turned off at least redressed. 

We've all said for years that at some point football would eat itself. Those days might be near. 

This may happen naturally as globally, the world might not be able to sustain those levels of financial support, football currently needs. 

What do I think will happen? Like most things, nobody really knows. I fear we might see a few clubs go to the wall as owners abandon them. Not just here but abroad. 

Time will tell. 

I don't thing you can play behind closed doors, the public wouldnt be able to handle it, let's be honest. Best we void the season and see what we've got left when it's over.