How and when will the season end ?

2 minutes ago, Highbury Owl said:

I don't think you have actually understood what I was trying to say. I'm not suggesting we put anyone at risk. 

If we cant play until Jan 2021 then we still finish this season.

I might have misinterpreted your suggestion, apologies, but I stand by my strategy.

If the season isnt finished by the end of May surely its an unfinished season and will be classed as such, so void.

The prospects for the following season starting on time dont look good,restrictions could last well past summer.

The most important thing is that as a nation,we all pull in the same direction and wipe this thing off the planet,and turn our support to those who are trying their best to fight it.

The recriminations will come at the inquest,which will be VERY interesting,but untill then,lets stay safe and heed the advice

3 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

We will have at least 6 months of CV19, so just call a end to the season and be done, void end of.

This is the greatest disaster since WW2 and indiscriminate as to who gets it. China is almost a totalitarian state so has looked to have managed well. We are a democracy and as such it will take us longer as we follow the niceties like the rule of law and civil rights.

No agenda on this even if we end up going down so what the club will exist and play again, unfortunately some on here I guess may not be around to watch us..

and that last sobering thought, puts it all into perspective They need to do the decent thing, and void this season

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

If the season isnt finished by the end of May surely its an unfinished season and will be classed as such, so void.

The prospects for the following season starting on time dont look good,restrictions could last well past summer.

The most important thing is that as a nation,we all pull in the same direction and wipe this thing off the planet,and turn our support to those who are trying their best to fight it.

The recriminations will come at the inquest,which will be VERY interesting,but untill then,lets stay safe and heed the advice

Given the way things are at present,It could well be that the 2021/22 season will be the earliest that we'll see football returning if it all.:tango:

18 hours ago, Highbury Owl said:

I don't think you have actually understood what I was trying to say. I'm not suggesting we put anyone at risk. 

If we cant play until Jan 2021 then we still finish this season.

with what players, it wont be the same teams as should have finished this season

the chances are it wont even be the same teams that would have finished this season, so how do sort out the points that the teams who no longer exist have got

so if we don't start until Jan 21 you wont be finishing this season you will be adding two seasons together, that will take a lot of rule changes which I would think most teams wont agree to

Edited by the third man

20 hours ago, trev said:

It's a good point. We could see lots of teams go under.

Even at Championship level. 

There could well be a complete overhaul of leagues after this. 

Maybe Martin Edwards, the old Manchester United scumbag chairman will finally get his wish. Sat in his cosy position on top of the football pyramid at the time, he said that the game needed cleansing of all the hangers-on that were 'bleeding the game dry' (I believe they were his exact words). 

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Maybe Martin Edwards, the old Manchester United scumbag chairman will finally get his wish. Sat in his cosy position on top of the football pyramid at the time, he said that the game needed cleansing of all the hangers-on that were 'bleeding the game dry' (I believe they were his exact words). 

If he was talking about agents, then he was right.

22 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

If he was talking about agents, then he was right.

However, the FA's power is limited. Most crucially it does not control the Premier League. Thus any form of self-regulation must include the Premiership chairmen. Unfortunately, while most senior FA figures appear to have the broader interests of the game at heart this cannot be said of some club chairmen, though there are exceptions.

The plcs, by definition, have to put their shareholders' interests (that is, profits) above all else and Aston Villa's refusal to pay Brighton the compensation fee agreed for their poaching of Gareth Barry (it had to be deducted from their television money at source) is typical of many Premiership clubs' view on lower division teams. As long ago as 1985 Martin Edwards, the chairman of Manchester United, said: "The smaller clubs are bleeding the game dry. For the sake of the game, they should be put to sleep."

The pathetic hand-outs to the Football Trust from their TV income (less than five per cent of the pounds 170m each year) underlines the self-interest that pervades the Premiership. Recently they were unable even to agree among themselves on opening a chain of merchandise stores across Europe. The arguments centred on the sharing out of the profits. Sir John Quinton's parting remark after his resignation was that the chairmen should stop bickering among themselves.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-a-game-in-search-of-its-soul-1087368.htm

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As will every other country. Even if things get moving before then, other things will take priority over when we play football again

i agree with this.  i think at best we'll be in lockdown until June/July and then, if things are going in the right direction, they may loosen off things a bit. Allow visits to family etc. Then allow shops to open, but each time they relax the restrictions they need 2 to 3 weeks to see the effect. The last thing they want is a second wave. Then there's the rest of the world to think about - Asia are mainly infront of us but Africa, South America and the US are all behind us. So there's a question about foreign players.

It’ll be interesting what happens at the end of June when players contracts are up. They will then obviously be allowed to sign for other clubs. Will the transfer window be open though? If it is, clubs will no doubt go sh*t or bust to give themselves the best chance of success for the last 10 games 

11 minutes ago, horny owl said:

Anybody who thinks this season will be finished are in cuckoo land

The sooner it’s announced the better

Absolutely, I think most clubs will think that is the only reasonable outcome Some fans won’t be happy, but if they think about the bigger picture, it’s the only sensible decision. 

2 minutes ago, Stoop said:

It’ll be interesting what happens at the end of June when players contracts are up. They will then obviously be allowed to sign for other clubs. Will the transfer window be open though? If it is, clubs will no doubt go sh*t or bust to give themselves the best chance of success for the last 10 games 

Good point, but by then, we may be nearer to knowing what this entails. At the moment, we know we won’t be playing football matches in three months, and neither should we. 

On 29/03/2020 at 17:34, gurujuan said:

It’s getting ridiculous now, we are rightly being warned that these restrictions may be in place for another 6 months or longer, and yet the football authorities still warble on about looking at things at the end of next month. They need to cancel all competitions now, in line with what they’ve done with non league football, and start planning for next season 

That way, it’s fair for everybody. All clubs will start in the competitions they qualified for this season To talk about sport restarting while so many are suffering, is actually quite distasteful 

Some great points there