How and when will the season end ?

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fair enough old boy, I didn't see that. I was referring to an NPL statement saying the vast majority of their leagues wanted the season to end and were waiting for ratification from the FA.The BBC article claims "100" but only quotes 2. Besides even 100 clubs is the vast minority of 91 leagues.:ph34r:

Guest Bulgaria
15 hours ago, unkastav said:

Money will dictate that they finish it somehow... god knows how but they will

100%

14 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

They'd probably try for promotion but no relegation thereby minimising the number of teams affected. 

They might, but surely it has to be the same for all the clubs If it’s unfair to relegate clubs, because the season was curtailed while they still had a mathematical chance of staying up, then surely it’s unfair to promote clubs on a similar basis The only fair thing to do, is abort the season

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

They might, but surely it has to be the same for all the clubs If it’s unfair to relegate clubs, because the season was curtailed while they still had a mathematical chance of staying up, then surely it’s unfair to promote clubs on a similar basis The only fair thing to do, is abort the season

Yep.

That would be farcical. Those clubs chasing down the top two or battling for a playoff place would quite rightly argue that they should be given a shot at promotion if promotion is actually on the table. In many cases, the next game could have seen a change in the automatic promotion places, and with factors such as the different opponents faced, number of home vs. away games etc...there's no way those who missed out would take it lying down.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52138270

Decision made in Belgium to make Club Bruges champions, I personally think our EFL and Premier league bosses don't have the balls to do that here but in all seriousness this season is finished, playing out this seasons remaining fixtures instead of starting a new season in reasonable time will make it even more farcical in 'my' opinion, that's assuming any sort of normality has kicked in with sporting events generally by around August time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I genuinely don't understand why there is any discussion about cancelling this season.

Just let it conclude whenever it can, even if that is November, and then do a mini season following that.

Let this season conclude, whenever it can and if you can't fit in a full next season, just do one where everyone only plays each other once.

Surely better for the season that is 3/4 complete to be finished and the next season to be different, when everyone knows what rule changes to expect from the start, rather than cancel this season entirely.

Because a limited season next year would be financial disaster for some clubs, even in the PL, less TV money, less gate receipts, but the same outlay on staff and players

and the teams would have different players and the leagues different teams, as some wont survive

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Like I said they buy them off - or it may not be an issue if the clubs vote for it. Maybe then it becomes a fait accompli. I don't think just aborting this season is fair either. The only fair thing is to finish the season. Anything else is a compromise. 

18 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Some teams will profit some will be hard done to but the only logical conclusion is to void the season. 

I don't see why it's the only logical conclusion. The best option is to finish the season. Anything else isn't ideal. The clubs between them will decide what they think is logically best for the leagues as a whole. 

3 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

How much would clubs lose by missing a whole season, especially the premier League teams.....compared to the £760m for not completing this season?

How would league 2 teams deal with no income for a season?

In my opinion there will be no new season this year, so how do you catch that up ?    UTO 

Can't see things getting going again till at least June 1st -  If they do pull the plug it will be very sad for Liverpool as well as SUFC who will probably not be able to recreate the amazing season they have had.. (sad sad news indeed..  insert sad emoji here...)..

Meanwhile - MLS is 2 games in to the season so there is still hope to get the remaining 32 games in....  I believe the league is hoping to get things finished by November ....  lots of midweek games to clear the backlog and the international breaks will have to be played through in order to make the season viable.

1 hour ago, Whitecap Owl said:

Can't see things getting going again till at least June 1st -  If they do pull the plug it will be very sad for Liverpool as well as SUFC who will probably not be able to recreate the amazing season they have had.. (sad sad news indeed..  insert sad emoji here...)..

Meanwhile - MLS is 2 games in to the season so there is still hope to get the remaining 32 games in....  I believe the league is hoping to get things finished by November ....  lots of midweek games to clear the backlog and the international breaks will have to be played through in order to make the season viable.

Liverpool can suck it up, like we had to, when their fans got us banned from Europe. As for the piggies, if they keep Wilder and Knill, they’ll come again

Problem is once all the other European leagues start cancelling there seasons to protect the following seasons competition then it becomes increasingly difficult for us to continue ours. We cant say scrap international breaks and play through them if all the others have decided to play them. UEFA and FIFA aren't going to fit all the planning and scheduling around us finishing our season off.  Belgium have set the ball rolling now and the more that follow suit and cancel there seasons the more pressure there will be on the rest of them to do the same.

This seasons over I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, rickygoo said:

They'd probably try for promotion but no relegation thereby minimising the number of teams affected. 

How does that minimise the number of teams affected? How would you decide which teams should be promoted? You obviously cannot promote 3 without also relegating 3. If you argue that the top 2 are awarded promotion, what about the 4 below who would argue they weren't given a fair shot?

If all leagues were to add 2 or more teams, it means everyone in that division will need to play more games. Which means every team is affected.

I imagine the only "fair" options would be to somehow complete the season, or void it. No matter how you slice it, without completing the season there would be some form of "injustice", but voiding it seems a lot more reasonable than rewarding teams for something they haven't fully earned.

If Wimbledon has been cancelled for end of June / July do we really think football will start again before July.

the premier league will be finished behind closed doors sas money always dictates but I think all other leagues will be cancelled no promotion or relegation. I’m not in favour of this but think it is most likely outcome.

12 minutes ago, Thurgoland Owl said:

If Wimbledon has been cancelled for end of June / July do we really think football will start again before July.

the premier league will be finished behind closed doors sas money always dictates but I think all other leagues will be cancelled no promotion or relegation. I’m not in favour of this but think it is most likely outcome.

It cant be completed behind closed doors until the restrictions are lifted, one the restrictions are lifted there will be no need for behind closed door games

46 minutes ago, bobness said:

How does that minimise the number of teams affected? How would you decide which teams should be promoted? You obviously cannot promote 3 without also relegating 3. If you argue that the top 2 are awarded promotion, what about the 4 below who would argue they weren't given a fair shot?

If all leagues were to add 2 or more teams, it means everyone in that division will need to play more games. Which means every team is affected.

I imagine the only "fair" options would be to somehow complete the season, or void it. No matter how you slice it, without completing the season there would be some form of "injustice", but voiding it seems a lot more reasonable than rewarding teams for something they haven't fully earned.

They are talking about expanding the league to accommodate no relegation. The only division that would subsequently have to play more games next season would be the Premier League. 

Writing off off this season isn’t fair. Voiding it isn’t fair. The clubs will meet and come to a compromise based on UEFA guidance, legal advice, their own negotiations and sense of what’s right and doable. 

If this season isn’t finished then I’m not particularly fussed which other route is chosen - both are deeply flawed - although if this season is voided I’d quite like my ST cash refunded as a reward for sitting through so much pointless poo! And I certainly want a refund for the missing games. 

What I find over egging it is having a go at football for trying to work out a way forward and accusing them of forgetting about deaths etc as though they’re going to go ahead and play and thereby risk lives. That’s not going to happen.

It was football not the government who shut football down. There's no indication that football will defy the government and play games. All businesses are trying to work out a way through this. Football isn’t, nor should it be, any different. 

8 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The clubs will meet and come to a compromise based on UEFA guidance, legal advice, their own negotiations and sense of what’s right and doable what loses least money

:biggrin:

Seriously though; that was a good summary.

• Haha 3