Birmingham first championship club to ask players to take 50% deduction

Birmingham City have emerged as the first Championship club to ask their players to take wage deferrals, in a bid to protect their short-term future.

Players earning over £6,000 a week at Birmingham have been told to take a 50% deduction in salary for the next four months, in correspondence sent to agents which has been seen by Telegraph Sport.

Birmingham's board have asked players to accept a cut of half their monthly wages until June this year, with the salaries to be paid back in four instalments when the football season resumes.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grez Bez
10 minutes ago, the third man said:

Only asking for it to be deferred, not asking them to take a 50% pay cut

All players should be offering to do this, and not get it back later

Why would they?

3 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

This really will show whose init for the money 

I don't begrudge footballers the living they earn no matter how obscene the wages are. I think you will find most footballers certainly haven't forgotten their roots no matter how flash their lifestyle is

• Haha 3

All predictions I've read, and I'm convinced by them, say that if and when we get over this pandemic, we'll see a global recession the likes of which have never been seen before. That's truly worrying. The ones on silly money should think of this when deciding to challenge any cut in pay. Don't want to see anyone not able to pay their mortgage but some common sense wouldn't go awry.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Striggy said:

Well Joe Public can only get 80% up to a max of £2500? All in it together?

Absofuckinglutely.

Are a players contracts more solid than say an accountant or lawyer??

Those professions will get £2500 per month. Even though they would probably earn far more. Why are footballers exempt??

If Sheffield Wednesday applied to the government to say they can't afford to pay the wages...due to no matches being played. Then the players get £2500. Per month.

Why can't this happen? I don't understand why sports players are on different contracts to everyone else??? 

Can somebody explain please??

Edited by trev
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

All predictions I've read, and I'm convinced by them, say that if and when we get over this pandemic, we'll see a global recession the likes of which have never been seen before. That's truly worrying. The ones on silly money should think of this when deciding to challenge any cut in pay. Don't want to see anyone not able to pay their mortgage but some common sense wouldn't go awry.

True.

All the money being pumped into the global economy to keep it ticking over is borrowed money and will have to be repaid.

Another 20 years of Austerity for the many and Tax cuts for the few.

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

The implication from that 80% is that the respective employers will cover the other 20% at least in the short term - thus keeping the economy afloat

Just received an email from work, I will only get the 80%, which to be honest I am over the moon with, better than being laid off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trev said:

Absofuckinglutely.

Are a players contracts more solid than say an accountant or lawyer??

Those professions will get £2500 per month. Even though they would probably earn far more. Why are footballers exempt??

If Sheffield Wednesday applied to the government to say they can't afford to pay the wages...due to no matches being played. Then the players get £2500. Per month.

Why can't this happen? I don't understand why sports players are on different contracts to everyone else??? 

Can somebody explain please??

I think the rules are if you cant honour the players contract that they are in there rights to leave for free......seen as our lot arnt worth much that may not be a major blow and probably a blessing in one or two cases  but for other clubs it may be a different matter if they lose there star men for nowt …...I don't know about accountants and lawyers but I doubt they have a fixed term contract so are free to leave or be dismissed with just the agreed termination notice .