Birmingham first championship club to ask players to take 50% deduction

On 24/03/2020 at 16:05, helmut_rooster said:

Suprised its took so long after  Hearts did the same, sure loads will do the same soon.

Was listening to a Scottish football commentator on 5 live about that yesterday. Said Naismith was more than happy to do it but appreciated some of his team mates earning less than him might not be in the same position. Also stated he had done a lot of good for the homeless in Liverpool when he played for Everton, seems like a good bloke. 

7 hours ago, room0035 said:

I have not seen a single article about footballers using the vast wealth to help though less fortunate.

I think a lot of people are starting to see these so called heroes and gods for what they are over paid pre Madonna's - the clubs and the players are the top clubs could be helping and doing so much for what to them is so little.

The estimate players salaries for EPL clubs this season is £1.8billion if these payers gave up 10% of their inflated wages that would be £180m to use to help people in and around their communities that need it the most. Most of these people have probably over the years help to pay their salaries by buying tickets, merchandise and paying sky subscriptions. It is time they gave some back.

But I won't hold my breathe as it won't happen. 

https://www.sportekz.com/football/premier-league-clubs-wage-bills/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-soccer-spain/messi-guardiola-donate-1-08-million-each-to-coronavirus-battle-idUSKBN21B3HV

8 hours ago, Nero said:

Think football should really bite the bullet and break the wage stranglehold

There isnt any work for them to do. Theres no income. They should be laid off unpaid except for the government scheme.

If all clubs did this they could pick up the pieces when it all starts back up. 

Maybe in future the basic wage should be less and more emphasis put on appearance money. That would lessen the burden on clubs in the present situation and be more tolerable when players such as Abdi get signed or when players get suspended for making stupid comments or collecting too many yellow cards.

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

Be good if some of the 405,000 (including  me) who have signed up to volunteer for the NHS to do some menial tasks to support the real heroes in our society, were footballers.

Maybe some have donated some money or are doing good in and around their community but don't want to make a point of it?

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe some have donated some money or are doing good in and around their community but don't want to make a point of it?

Thats why I said I hope they have. They cant win if they publicise themselves.

This sites anonymous so it doesn't matter that I'm saying I've done. I'm not Nero in real life.

I'm.Caesar...

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's always the problem for those in the public eye. I always wonder about all those appearing on stuff like Children in Need and Sport Relief, pleading with us to donate money whilst they could be turning up in a limousine, enjoying the free hospitality and plugging their new single before going home to the sauna. If a good deed makes it into the media, then the assumption is that they are primarily trying to raise their profile. But if they keep it quiet, then the assumption is that they are playing Marie Antoniette. George Michael, for all his problems, did a great deal for numerous charities and causes, but most of it was unknown until after his death.

12 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Was listening to a Scottish football commentator on 5 live about that yesterday. Said Naismith was more than happy to do it but appreciated some of his team mates earning less than him might not be in the same position. Also stated he had done a lot of good for the homeless in Liverpool when he played for Everton, seems like a good bloke. 

Naisy is a cracking bloke. Daniel Stendel is currently working for free too.

I feel for some of the younger players like Hickey on smaller contracts, but most of them shouldn’t complain. To be fair after the performances most have put in this season some are lucky they’re even getting 50% of their wages. If it was performance based they should be getting minimum wage.

Edited by edinburghowl