Alessio Da Cruz is the type of player we need - Monk

6 hours ago, Watto said:

I'm 55 and I can work hard and run around does  that make it ok if I turn up to play next week ?

It would be the fault of the club if they picked you, not your fault.

The issue here is that we are at most 2 games away from this kid being booed.  It is not fair on him to put him into a first team shirt.  I said the same about Van Aken, who did not have relatively basic central defensive footwork technique.  Nothing the player can do about that if he isnt trained or has the ability to do it properly. 

43 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

It would be the fault of the club if they picked you, not your fault.

The issue here is that we are at most 2 games away from this kid being booed.  It is not fair on him to put him into a first team shirt.  I said the same about Van Aken, who did not have relatively basic central defensive footwork technique.  Nothing the player can do about that if he isnt trained or has the ability to do it properly. 

Is it only Sheffield Wednesday that's sign players like this , we have supposed have got a recruitment team that is probably well paid and out of thousands of players around the globe we get players that simply aren't good enough at this level , the lad Bates is another one in question.Simply put it's shambolic how the club is run !

9 minutes ago, Watto said:

Is it only Sheffield Wednesday that's sign players like this , we have supposed have got a recruitment team that is probably well paid and out of thousands of players around the globe we get players that simply aren't good enough at this level , the lad Bates is another one in question.Simply put it's shambolic how the club is run !

Bates is ok . Pretty industrial but can do basics as a centre back . 

you want "young hungry players "then you have to be patient and hope they develop as you hope …...maybe da cruz  young hunt, urhoghide,  will perhaps   they  wont but we are going nowhere playing yesterdays men like westwood,hutch ,Rhodes,winnall,lee ,lees  etc etc …...

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

you want "young hungry players "then you have to be patient and hope they develop as you hope …...maybe da cruz  young hunt, urhoghide,  will perhaps   they  wont but we are going nowhere playing yesterdays men like westwood,hutch ,Rhodes,winnall,lee ,lees  etc etc …...

Well, the last time Monk was actually still willing to pick a matchday 18 from all those ‘men of yesterday’ we were 3rd in the table.

Not really got a problem with Monk blooding youngsters though.

11 minutes ago, cowl said:

Well, the last time Monk was actually still willing to pick a matchday 18 from all those ‘men of yesterday’ we were 3rd in the table.

Not really got a problem with Monk blooding youngsters though.

but they couldn't  do it 2 or 3 years ago and once they collapsed over the Christmas period monk probably realised they wernt going to do it this year either so its not hard to understand why he's gone down  the route he as ….. probably like jos it will cost him his job but sooner or later some manager as got to be rid of the old guard and get the players he wants . 

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

but they couldn't  do it 2 or 3 years ago and once they collapsed over the Christmas period monk probably realised they wernt going to do it this year either so its not hard to understand why he's gone down  the route he as ….. probably like jos it will cost him his job but sooner or later some manager as got to be rid of the old guard and get the players he wants . 

Overall you are right, but we haven’t bought the quality to replace the older players. Lee is better than Hunt, Hutch is better than Joey, Lees is better than Bates, Westwood is better than the other two etc...

If we are to rely on newer younger lads we need to free up money to buy first-pick quality, not 2nd or 3rd choice back-up. 

If only football were as simple as Torryowl suggests - ihe argues that you can just bin that group of players and replace them with another group.

Strangely enough in football below national League level that does happen as contracts are generally for a year or little more.

Our dilemm is imo well puat by Holmowl who says:

"Lee is better than Hunt, Hutch is better than Joey, Lees is better than Bates, Westwood is better than the other two etc.

At this level teams evolve over time but unfortunately the immature Monk has foolishly frozen out many of the older players: Wetwood plus Hutchinson and maybe even Rhodes and Winnall.

Hopefully this weekend will be Monk's last game in charge.

23 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Speaking about the loan signing of Da Cruz from where he was playing in Seria B in Italy Monk said that he was very well aware of the player and his ability.

Monk said that this was the type of signing we needed at SWFC.

Well, I occasionaly like to watch a National League game or two and there are players in the fifth tier of English football who are far ahead of Da Cruz in terms of pace, skill and ability.

It fills me with grave concern the thought that Monk might have anything at all to do with our rebuild in the summer.

Hopefully Monk will be tending his roses instead by then!

On 05/03/2020 at 10:37, Owls Loyal said:

Speaking about the loan signing of Da Cruz from where he was playing in Seria B in Italy Monk said that he was very well aware of the player and his ability.

Monk said that this was the type of signing we needed at SWFC.

Well, I occasionaly like to watch a National League game or two and there are players in the fifth tier of English football who are far ahead of Da Cruz in terms of pace, skill and ability.

It fills me with grave concern the thought that Monk might have anything at all to do with our rebuild in the summer.

Hopefully Monk will be tending his roses instead by then!

Ok mate... lol

And this is the thing for me. Most fans can see urgohide has potential, as has hunt, so give them time. Most fans can already see that da Cruz isn’t going to offer a deal. Most fans an see that Westwood’s better than Dawson etc etc. 

So if we can see this why can’t monk? Why an hour before kick off do we look at our phones and go WTF?

what is Monk seeing that us mere mortals can’t?

Guest LondonOwl313
11 hours ago, torryowl said:

They did do the business 2 or 3 years ago though.. we got to the play offs twice. Admittedly we didn’t get over the line, but the first year we did fine just outplayed by a more experienced side in the final and the tactics were off year 2. The actual season they got us where we need to be

On 05/03/2020 at 12:47, Owls Loyal said:

Many thanks to Great Big Galaa:

"Monk won’t be here next season. He looked like someone who’s either lost or who doesn’t want to be here when caught on camera last night. He even looked close to tears at one point. He’ll probably see the season out but I’m pretty sure he won’t stay on beyond the season?

I so hope you are right as imo Monk just isn't the right fit for SWFC.

So Who the feck is the "Right fit for SWFC"?.

In response to adelphi 1867 it is a difficult issue but I think if you look at successful Managers of SWFC I do believe that for some reason big personalities appear to work well.

Big Jack, Sgt Wilko and Big Ron somehow managed to engage and excite the supporters.

I don't think that any such bond ever developed between Luhukay and the supporters.

I am probably biased but my view is that Monk is more similar to Luhukay.

I personally cannot relate to him in his press conferences and of course the results have been dire which does not help.

I stand by every comment I made right from his debut. It bordered on a player welfare issue him being in the team. Lots of energy but so far short in terms of his positional play, passing, movement and general team play. The Man City game where fletcher had to physically move da Cruz into position was the low point.

fair play to the kid for moving here and giving it a go though 

I hope we didn't spend too much on him as has added very little to the team, I would us rather had given game time to some of the under23's than waste money on a player who just does not look of the standard we need.

The big worry for me is Monk said repeatedly this was a player he had watch for a long time and wanted when clearly he has showed little to nothing to warrant it.