Alessio Da Cruz is the type of player we need - Monk

5 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Speaking about the loan signing of Da Cruz from where he was playing in Seria B in Italy Monk said that he was very well aware of the player and his ability.

Monk said that this was the type of signing we needed at SWFC.

Well, I occasionaly like to watch a National League game or two and there are players in the fifth tier of English football who are far ahead of Da Cruz in terms of pace, skill and ability.

It fills me with grave concern the thought that Monk might have anything at all to do with our rebuild in the summer.

Hopefully Monk will be tending his roses instead by then!

FFS it's relentless.

It's like the last three years of renainer project fear.

It's like  the last twenty years of climate change doom mongers.

Give it a rest will you!! You'll give yourself an aneurysm.

5 hours ago, Animis said:

The pass in the first half, which he simply failed to control or make anything from was poor. The camera then panned to him and he was blowing like he'd just run a marathon. 

The phrased 'match-fit' is really strange. People have used it about Wickham, but he'd been getting game time for CP's first team throughout January. He's done the same for us throughout Feb, but he's still not match fit according to some.

At what point are players match fit - a run off 6/10/20 games. By that time they're 'tired' and need a rest.

When they can play three full games without looking like their left lung is going to hemorrhage out of his right nostril.

Give me strength.

Have owls talkers  been sniffing glue recently.

Doesn't it tell you something , the fact that no Italian club apparently wanted him - and you'd expect him to be much less of an unknown quantity in that country ?

He seems keen  and works hard  but hasn't had much of an impact so far, I'm afraid

2 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Not basing it on the Man City game alone, he just doesn't offer anything different to what we already had, seeing as he is untested, we may as well have tried one of our own young players, or the players we are already pay vast amounts for, Winnall and Rhodes for example.

What he does offer that's different is energy and pace and Monk decided that would be more useful last night - someone to chase their defenders. Can you imagine Rhodes or Nuhiu (or Wickham) trying to do that?

5 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Has shown flashes of being very capable and a possible good signing, quick, pretty strong and direct.

Hopefully just needs a run of games. 

Though he reminds me a little of joao, so maybe confidence and attitude may be lacking. You'd have thought he'd have been busting a gut last night against one of the best teams around. 

My first impressions of the two are very different. The first few games of watching Joao led me to think he'd be one of our best players ever! He was raw but obviously had bags of talent. He was capable of outrageous skills, had a terrific shot, great pace and scored a couple of bullet headers early on in his time here. What I didn't realise was the extent to which he lacked application so he turned out to be a big disappointment (but not without his sublime moments).

So far I've seen precious little evidence of any talent from da Cruz (I don't remember a single pass or shot to give cause for optimism) although, unlike Joao, he does seem willing to work hard.

As ever I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. I was with Reach and Fox (and Joao, in the opposite way).

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Didn’t look it to me.

Certainly looked more energetic than a certain Mr Allethargy Da Cruz

Fessi took a knock just before half time and spoke to the bench.

Monk said the changes were forced due to injuries. I've no reason to doubt him.

“ Da Cruz who?? Never heard of the bloke  but he sounds like he’s poo & will be a total liability. I’m telling you now, I’ve got nuffin to do wiv this signing & I reckon it’s gonna go boobies up innit? Clubs a mess top to bottom, everyone acts like they’re  billy big  b0ll0x & now I’m getting this crap dumped at my door. Mind you, the rest of em are lazy bar stewards anyway so he’ll probably fit right in” - Garry Monk.

Would this have been better?

6 hours ago, Watto said:

He's had half a dozen games and shown nothing , another very poor signing that goes along with many more we've made during Chansiri's reign

Yes half a dozen games, that's all and you expect the finished article.

He's not much like the other signings, he's not a crock, he's not over the hill, he didn't cost a fortune and he isn't earning a kings ransom. 

11 minutes ago, prowl said:

Yes half a dozen games, that's all and you expect the finished article.

He's not much like the other signings, he's not a crock, he's not over the hill, he didn't cost a fortune and he isn't earning a kings ransom. 

True.

Thing is though he has to look like he could play in The championship and I don't think he's good enough, time will tell !

Only thing about comparing him to players in the fifth tier of English football is that he isnt playing in the fifth tier of English football, he is in a highly competitive league with multi million pound players. If you put him in the fifth tier he would probably stand out head and shoulders above the rest with skill and pace etc. 

I guess the point being that we've seen a lot of players who are world beaters in league 1/2 or the SPL, then look way out of their depth in the championship. 

Granted he hasn't looked anything special so far, and I would have subbed him for fletch last night instead of FF (unless he's being saved for the weekend), but like others have said, he might need a few more games to adapt to the pace of the championship.