Alessio Da Cruz is the type of player we need - Monk

1 hour ago, markg said:

I'm willing to give him a little longer than a few games to make my mind up. 

He's had half a dozen games and shown nothing , another very poor signing that goes along with many more we've made during Chansiri's reign

50 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Yes, we need to invest in young players but not when they are way below the standard required in the Championship.

As I said in an earlier post there are players far better than Da Cruz playing in the lower leagues.

Well email the club about them then, hes a loan with a first option clause right? great signing if he comes good and if he don't still the right kind of signing 

I think he was picked last night for his pace and his willingness to run around a lot and to be fair he probably ran further than anyone else on the pitch last night. He wasn't helped by Forestieri having one of those games where he rests for longer than he plays. 

But with Forestieri you know there could be a bit of magic at any moment so we give him more slack than a worker who frankly has never shown any kind of magic. Even so it's starting to be a long time since Forestieri lived up to his past reputation.

Has shown flashes of being very capable and a possible good signing, quick, pretty strong and direct.

Hopefully just needs a run of games. 

Though he reminds me a little of joao, so maybe confidence and attitude may be lacking. You'd have thought he'd have been busting a gut last night against one of the best teams around. 

2 hours ago, darra said:

Sometimes it takes a while for a player to "adapt"  to a team Morgan Fox for example. It's not always easy for players to get used to playing in a different country with maybe language difficulties. Give him until the end of the season then decide if he's good enough?

Whoa there, please leave the forum immediately. You should know by now that players are not allowed time to adapt and get used to the club. How dare you speak commonsense on OT.

Not even Messi or Ronaldo would be allowed time to adapt. They would simply be branded rubbish and a waste of money,if they didn't score 10 goals in one match.lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Speaking about the loan signing of Da Cruz from where he was playing in Seria B in Italy Monk said that he was very well aware of the player and his ability.

Monk said that this was the type of signing we needed at SWFC.

Well, I occasionaly like to watch a National League game or two and there are players in the fifth tier of English football who are far ahead of Da Cruz in terms of pace, skill and ability.

It fills me with grave concern the thought that Monk might have anything at all to do with our rebuild in the summer.

Hopefully Monk will be tending his roses instead by then!

As I pointed out in another thread Monk does not make decisions on which players we recruit.He has minimal input. We have a head of recruitment and a Recruitment analyst that report to Chansiri. Monk will be telling them what type of player and what position we need, they go and find them and then Chansiri rubber stamps it or not.

• Haha 1

Seems like a player with skill and physicality, but lacking in endurance and pace to fit the football played here yet. Maybe not adapted to our team yet, is maybe more used to the passing to feet rather than running into an open area where the pass is coming. Shorter runs seemed to make him seem sweat so maybe we'll see a different side to him when/if his match fitness improves.

What I saw yesterday didn't convince me, but I'll wait until I've seen more of him.

3 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Seems like a player with skill and physicality, but lacking in endurance and pace to fit the football played here yet. Maybe not adapted to our team yet, is maybe more used to the passing to feet rather than running into an open area where the pass is coming. Shorter runs seemed to make him seem sweat so maybe we'll see a different side to him when/if his match fitness improves.

What I saw yesterday didn't convince me, but I'll wait until I've seen more of him.

Pace and fitness not an issue from what I have seen.

The big challenge is the technical side, his movement, runs, awareness and positioning, and his touch.  He looks ok on ball striking.  As mentioned in the other thread, the one big chance we had, Fletcher got to the back post too late as, when Hunt had the ball on the right, Fletcher literally had to move Da Cruz into position so set off for the back post run late.

His inclusion in the team is the fault of the club not the player. As long as he works and runs, which he does,  he'll get my support. 

• Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox

Needs to show something before season ends to suggest he can cut it here, but he needs time. You can't bring a young foreign lad over for 3 months and expect him to hit the ground running. 

1 hour ago, Watto said:

He's had half a dozen games and shown nothing , another very poor signing that goes along with many more we've made during Chansiri's reign

It is looking like that unfortunately. I'm just clinging on to the fact that he might be a slow starter 🙂

Not sure what there is to complain about with him really. He barely touched the ball as all he was picked for was to chase around the back four and try to get on to our aimless punts into the corners. Our tactics were to hang on until the end and try to nick something from set pieces. Da Cruz and Murphy (and Forestieri) were picked to help us stay in the game by putting on pressure when they had the ball and maybe stop their flow a bit. 

We were absolutely awful but Da Cruz seemed to be following our tactics as best he could. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Pace and fitness not an issue from what I have seen.

The big challenge is the technical side, his movement, runs, awareness and positioning, and his touch.  He looks ok on ball striking.  As mentioned in the other thread, the one big chance we had, Fletcher got to the back post too late as, when Hunt had the ball on the right, Fletcher literally had to move Da Cruz into position so set off for the back post run late.

His inclusion in the team is the fault of the club not the player. As long as he works and runs, which he does,  he'll get my support. 

I'm 55 and I can work hard and run around does  that make it ok if I turn up to play next week ?

1 hour ago, Adem Poric said:

Not sure what there is to complain about with him really. He barely touched the ball as all he was picked for was to chase around the back four and try to get on to our aimless punts into the corners. Our tactics were to hang on until the end and try to nick something from set pieces. Da Cruz and Murphy (and Forestieri) were picked to help us stay in the game by putting on pressure when they had the ball and maybe stop their flow a bit. 

We were absolutely awful but Da Cruz seemed to be following our tactics as best he could. 

Not basing it on the Man City game alone, he just doesn't offer anything different to what we already had, seeing as he is untested, we may as well have tried one of our own young players, or the players we are already pay vast amounts for, Winnall and Rhodes for example.