Alessio Da Cruz is the type of player we need - Monk

Mcmigo hits the nail right on the head in my view when he says:

"I stand by every comment I made right from his debut. It bordered on a player welfare issue him being in the team. Lots of energy but so far short in terms of his positional play, passing, movement and general team play. The Man City game where fletcher had to physically move da Cruz into position was the low point"

As does room0035:

The big worry for me is Monk said repeatedly this was a player he had watch for a long time and wanted when clearly he has showed little to nothing to warrant it.

If we keep Monk on I fear we have a lot more pain to come.

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

I hope we didn't spend too much on him as has added very little to the team, I would us rather had given game time to some of the under23's than waste money on a player who just does not look of the standard we need.

The big worry for me is Monk said repeatedly this was a player he had watch for a long time and wanted when clearly he has showed little to nothing to warrant it.

I honestly don't think Monk had any input at all into the signing.  Much like JVA, you could tell within 10 minutes there were massive problems with the player on basic technical stuff.  Da Cruz would struggle in our under 23 team, again not from lack of energy or desire.  The only fault of Monk was picking the player to play, assuming that was a free choice.  How must that feel to some of the other players?  what must Fletcher have been thinking - he has gone from playing up front with a real quality footballer like Hooper who was intelligent, skillful and very good at this level, to Da Cruz who he has to literally man handle to move into a sensible position.  

The only other time I've seen a player literally man handled was Loovens with lees in the second leg v Brighton.  Lees froze in that initial battering from Brighton, Loovens was moving him about like a chess piece, until Lees woke up and was brilliant from that point on.

7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Da Cruz looks exactly like the kind of player the U23s need.

Couldn’t agree more. Looks a development player to me and nowhere near ready for the first team. Kadeem Harris who has gone through a very poor run of form over the last few months after a very promising start is a much better player. 

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Couldn’t agree more. Looks a development player to me and nowhere near ready for the first team. Kadeem Harris who has gone through a very poor run of form over the last few months after a very promising start is a much better player. 

I think he could offer something in future, seems to have same raw ingredients but needs a proper chef.

Guest wilyfox

I withhold judgment of Da Cruz. Young lad, new league, different country, coming into a struggling team. Those aren't the ingredients to expect an immediate impact. It would be about next season for him - if he's still here. Not sure we'll be in a financial position to turn his or Windass' moves permanent anyway. 

With how things are at the moment it wouldn't surprise me that he will be heading home for good.  

From what I have seen of him he certainly has potential, takes up good positions, strong on the ball needs a goal to give him belief.  Doesn't seem to be quiet on the same wavelength as the others but that should come with more playing time.  

• Like 1

In fairness ticked a few boxes, pacey with a good scoring record, attributes we needed. 

Don't doubt Monk's comments but looked short of Championship quality. In the games I saw him, kept going, a trier but would be disappointed if he was here next season. I think a short term loan to have a look did no harm during a window of very limited options, but not Championship standard.