Monk On Hutchinson And Westwood

Given the circumstances, I thought Monk spoke pretty well after today's game, particularly when pushed on Hutchinson and Westwood's current situation:

I've been 25 years in the changing room. I know what  a successful changing room looks like, I know what the environment looks like.

Every single player knows where they stand.

I know what goes into a changing room and it's not just always football; it can be certain other things: influences, character, all this type of stuff...and I make those decisions on knowing what a changing room looks like, what it needs to be to be successful.

So again, that's a bigger picture thing. People will question am I right doing it in the here and now - who knows?

But at the end of the day, I can't go against what I know is right.

The temptation must be there to bring them back in from the cold in order to preserve his job, but if he feels so strongly that whatever has gone on is bad enough to merit their exclusion from the squad, then surely he has to be admired for taking such a principled stance which he clearly feels is for the greater good of our club?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He doesn't lack balls.

There's  a high chance it might cost him his job. But he's sticking to his guns where other managers might waver over sticking them back in (and in doing so possibly lose the respect of other players. 

Didn't think this picture would get used again. Never mind in the same day. ..

image.png.bf805dd54c209c9d25d0ca006906f3f8.png

But it's right. He's at the helm and he looks like he's going to smash the place up if given the opportunity. 

He's going to need wins though in the meantime though if he's to get to the point where he can wield the axe and really chop away the deadwood and poisoned branches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Given the circumstances, I thought Monk spoke pretty well after today's game, particularly when pushed on Hutchinson and Westwood's current situation:

I've been 25 years in the changing room. I know what  a successful changing room looks like, I know what the environment looks like.

I know what goes into a changing room and it's not just always football; it can be certain other things: influences, character, all this type of stuff...and I make those decisions on knowing what a changing room looks like, what it needs to be to be successful.

So again, that's a bigger picture thing. People will question am I right doing it in the here and now - who knows?

The temptation must be there to bring them back in from the cold in order to preserve his job, but if he feels so strongly that whatever has gone on is bad enough to merit their exclusion from the squad, then surely he has to be admired for taking such a principled stance which he clearly feels is for the greater good of our club?

The top issue is putting a successful team on the field. As a side issue, he ought to be able to discipline miscreants  and move on,  even if he does not pick them. Exile is not good management.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He doesn't lack balls.

There's  a high chance it might cost him his job. But he's sticking to his guns where other managers might waver over sticking them back in (and in doing so possibly lose the respect of other players. 

Didn't think this picture would get used again. Never mind in the same day. ..

image.png.bf805dd54c209c9d25d0ca006906f3f8.png

But it's right. He's at the helm and he looks like he's going to smash the place up if given the opportunity. 

He's going to need wins though in the meantime though if he's to get to the point where he can wield the axe and really chop away the deadwood and poisoned branches.

Monk himself seems only too aware of this fact...

'I said from the very start that this is a very big job. It's a lot of work that needs to be done. I've talked a lot about change and that change that needs to come. My aim is to get to that point where I can physically change that and change what I feel is the environment ...I also understand that in the meantime to get to that point you have to get results...I know what a successful changing room looks like. I've been in changing rooms for 25 years. I know what that environment looks like. That's what I'm hoping and wanting to get to, I've said from the start - and get to that point where I can actually physically change that - but in the meantime you have to get results and at the moment I haven't got the results that we need to get to that point in the future.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox

I understand what he's saying - and in essence he's probably right - but, if the plan was to bin Hutchinson off in Janaury, we needed to replace. That wasn't done, so now he's screwed himself. You can't freeze players out unless you have better or can replace. The results don't justify it even if his reasons do. Chansiri should have told him that after what happened to Jos.

He's in a very well paid job where he will no doubt be compensated handsomely when he's eventually relieved of his duties. I think that makes it a little bit easier to stick to your principles. its literally deja vu Jos time. 

I do actually feel for Monk, the issues at the club are so much bigger than any manager. As I've said before, on principle I want to see the players out the door before the manager but we simply must not drop into Div 1. Assuming that is not already inevitable. 

Edited by Morepork

Not sure of what has gone on with either of them just like everyone else, so just speculation really. 

I'm wondering if the Westwood exclusion is down to him refusing to be on the bench. He's done it in the past as we know it's a bit of a standing joke on here that he won't be a substitute. 

Maybe G. M has just said, if that's your attitude then I don't need you, as that's what I'd do to anyone who's ego or commitment was questionable as far as being part of the TEAM. 

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That’s what Jos tried...

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Can someone run me through Monks 25 years in a successful dressing? Must have missed that bit of his career. 

He didn't say he'd spent 25 years in successful changing rooms; he said that he's spent 25 years in changing rooms and he knows what a successful changing room looks like.

I expect he's thinking of the twelve years he spent as player and manager at Swansea, during which they rose from League Two to the Premier League.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, vulva said:

Can someone run me through Monks 25 years in a successful dressing? Must have missed that bit of his career. 

Think you are being a bit unfair there.  He didn’t claim to be in a successful dressing room for 25 years, and maybe it’s just as important to experience a poor dressing room environment at some stage during a career.  From memory he played an important part in Swansea’s rise from League 2 to the Premier League, so that must count as a successful dressing room.

• Like 1

It's all well and good saying he needs time to sort this out. We've just brought in three forwards on loan and in today's home game we've managed three shots on target.... against Reading. 

The midfield was the problem before January, so bringing in three forwards in January is even more bizarre. It's along the same lines as the bizarre transfer policy since 2016. Once again Hutchinson still appears to be the be all and end all in our midfield. 

His stance on Hutchinson and Westwood is admirable, but we need points on the table. I'm not saying bring them back in because this problem was going on before he arrived, but I'm no longer confident Monk knows how to get results with what's available in our squad.

In fact things have gone backwards, drastically, by Monks own standards.

The three loan signings may have actually made things worse, within the dressing room. You get the impression this is all about new contracts. Dawson gets a new one, some players demands are rejected and a couple of new Lamborghini's turns up in the training ground carpark, and we're back to Sheffield Doomsday. 

Screenshot_20200215-193800_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8b6dc95d97cb25e00ec037fbcee7af6f.jpg

30 minutes ago, vulva said:

Let's be fair to him, he had success as a player at Swansea, but he can't claim to be Alex Ferguson because of it. 

Our club hasn't had a pot to p1ss in for 25 years plus. 

I would rather Monk focuses on what goes on during the match than what goes on in the dressing room.  

We are in a free fall right now with no signs of it stopping any time soon.

I truly despair at what is currently going on at this great club. 

41 minutes ago, vulva said:

He’s had a more successful career than hutch and Westwood combined. In fact there’s not a player in the squad whose had a career anywhere near monks.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

what hes doing is not right end of, can anyone argue result wise.