Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Lots and lots of people absolutely deluded if they think players choose to go to clubs for anything other than financial reasons  

Come on, let’s get a grip 

Bleating on about the minus 12 is no block at all when it comes to a move. MOst of the movers in the window are little more than Journeymen anyway. A loan makes little or no odds to their status and a short contract can easily be undone if their nightmare scenario becomes a reality.

Heard mention this afternoon on TV that the appeal was in progress so we may have a result before the window closes. All we can do is plan for the worst and hope for the best.

RIP Gerry Young   WAWAWAWAW  We're All Walkley And We Are All Wednesday Aren't We ! Chillax Folks.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

I disagree, our business has been encouraging so far this window. I just think it’s a competitive market, we’re not throwing silly money around anymore which makes the competition that bit harder.

Unless we get really lucky our only hope of a striker who will score anywhere near 15 or 20 goals will be a player on loan.

14 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

If you don’t believe that this 12 point deduction is having a negative affect on our attempts to bring in new players, you aren’t living in the real world.

I highlighted the examples of Stoke and Birmingham because we WERE interested in the services of Fox, Fletcher and Leko next season and they chose them over us. Under normal circumstances nobody will convince me that those clubs are more attractive destinations than Wednesday.

What our chairman has done is made the managers job ridiculously difficult in trying to attract players to the club. You might not want to hear it because you had a nice day out at Wembley a few years ago but that’s the reality of the situation.

Ahh yes,the real world,god bless you trev.

We were wanting to keep fletcher and fox yes,they couldn't get away quick enough............................the points deduction responsible for that...................behave ya self,£££££££££ is all it took to get em to sign for stoke,Leko turned us down because of a points deduction,or did he wanna stay in and around the area he's been playing in.

I'm well aware of what the chairman has done thank you,so is everyone with a set of eyes and ears,thing is not everyone goes on about it time after time after time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

When we have players choosing the likes of Birmingham City and Stoke City over us, we really aren’t going to be competing with Bristol City in the transfer market which is a shame as I think Chris Martin would’ve been an excellent signing.

Some players just don’t want to sign for a club starting the season on minus 12 points.

Cheers Dejphon.

Can you post where we were in for these players or is it just made up crap

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Bristol City talked about wanting to continue their policy of finding younger players but Martin on a 2/3 year deal and Brunt to follow is more akin to our approach under carlos. 

Maybe they feel it is the missing ingredient to help some of their younger players. But if it doesn’t work this season then it gets harder and they will be on ok money too.

If there is one thing I have learned from Football Manager it's that you have to buy half a dozen 32-year-old journeymen with high professionalism to sit in your reserves and mentor all the wonderkids in your first team. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

would you have been happy if we kept Fletcher? A player 2 years older than Martin and probably on more money? Fletcher was one of our better players the last couple of years imo and did a very good job. I think we need someone to come in and replace Fletcher. Martin imo would have done a good job. 

I'm glad we didn't keep fletcher.. kept breaking down, getting on and probably expensive. Glad he didn't stay on his terms.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim said:

I do think there is a sort of feeling that in the grand scheme of things this season is a one off for obvious reasons.

By hook or by crook we have to retain our championship status by whatever means necessary.

Whether we are successful or not the vast majority of this current squad will probably not be here come the following season however well or not they do?

I think this is definitely the last season here for the likes of Westwood, Lees, Reach, Rhodes, maybe even Bannan?

I think giving Bannan the captaincy signals that he is in Monks long term plans. Whether he will re-sign next year on reduced terms is another matter.

12 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think we'll definitely get a loan from them

It would be really interesting if it's Hirst

Not sure how I'd feel about that

On one hand I'd want to shout Judas at him

But part of me has always wanted to sing the Babybird song, You're George Hirst

Can you really see DC swallowing his pride and having Hirst back at the club even on loan. From all his actions in the past I just can't see it.

13 minutes ago, prowl said:

Can you really see DC swallowing his pride and having Hirst back at the club even on loan. From all his actions in the past I just can't see it.

Agree !  If Leicester paid all his wages maybe, but even then I doubt it. I think that ship has well and truly sailed !!   UTO 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Ahh yes,the real world,god bless you trev.

We were wanting to keep fletcher and fox yes,they couldn't get away quick enough............................the points deduction responsible for that...................behave ya self,£££££££££ is all it took to get em to sign for stoke,Leko turned us down because of a points deduction,or did he wanna stay in and around the area he's been playing in.

I'm well aware of what the chairman has done thank you,so is everyone with a set of eyes and ears,thing is not everyone goes on about it time after time after time.

Hahaha ok then, I’m sure I wasn’t the only fan who was more than a little concerned that Fox and Fletcher saw Stoke as a better bet than us? Indeed it could be that a Stoke City side who’ve been reducing their own wage bill have offered “£££££££££££” OR could it be that they didn’t want to be third division footballers the season after next?

As for Leko, I love this argument that seems to put Birmingham at the other side of the country to Sheffield and provides the player with an insurmountable journey to work when the regality is its mean him having to get up an hour earlier in the morning in order to get to work. Hardly a huge obstacle if the move is right for a player.

Garry Monk pointed out today the deduction is putting off players committing to the club, I’m not sure what more evidence you need.

Edited by TrickyTrev
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kevtheowl said:

Agree !  If Leicester paid all his wages maybe, but even then I doubt it. I think that ship has well and truly sailed !!   UTO 

I’d be inclined to agree, too much has happened for that to happen.

I’d add though, what has George Hirst done for fans to want him here on loan anyway? I get that we are struggling to get a forward through the door but I’m not sure that George Hirst is the answer.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Hahaha ok then, I’m sure I wasn’t the only fan who was more than a little concerned that Fox and Fletcher saw Stoke as a better bet than us? Indeed it could be that a Stoke City side who’ve been reducing their own wage bill have offered “£££££££££££” OR could it be that they didn’t want to be third division footballers the season after next?

As for Leko, I love this argument that seems to put Birmingham at the other side of the country to Sheffield and provides the player with an insurmountable journey to work when the regality is its mean him having to get up an hour earlier in the morning in order to get to work. Hardly a huge obstacle if the move is right for a player.

Garry Monk pointed out today the deduction is putting off players committing to the club, I’m not sure what more evidence you need.

Oh aye,ive read loads of concerned  wednesday fans seeing fletch and fox leave,never mind that it was stoke,who you trying to kid,fox has been derided since day one,Fletch has been on too much money (Apparently) for little return,swfc wanted to keep em,they said no,maybe the possibility of the third division swung it says trev.

I said MAYBE Leko wanted to stay in the Birmingham area,not as a definite argument,i've heard what Monk said about the points deduction being an issue,hasn't stopped five players turning up has it,maybe's not the ones that he/we/wanted,says more about those that have,than the ones that won't/haven't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I think our best hope is a loan to be honest. Not many good players will sign for a club on -12 points. As realistically its 2 years before you can even hope to play premier league football.

We still can make around three more loan signings. The extra quality we need, especially in attack, may be best acquired via a loan signing. Some of our best players in recent seasons have been loan signings, we can't throw money at it, like in the first couple of years during DC's reign, when Carlos was in charge. It would be foolish to do so after our recent P&S issues, points deduction and the ongoing disrupted footballing calendar. Some of the best players at this level have been loan signings in recent years.

We probably won't be able to bring in the quality we need apart from signing inexperienced players with potential or some smart bargains from abroad, it will be difficult to find the quality we need within P&S restrictions. That doesn't mean we can't do it without throwing money at it, we have to be astute and make smart signings, that fit the team without breaking the bank. A couple more smart loan signings like Izzy Brown, would be ideal, unless we can unearth and attract a discarded player with talent or a gem from the lower leagues or abroad. To be honest I'm most excited so far by the Izzy Brown signing and the potential of FDB, and I hope we can make some more signings like that. 

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I think that we have to cut Monk some slack here. Listen, after 4 wins since the turn of the year, there is no way he should be in charge of our football club this season, but he is and those are the facts.

I don’t rate him and I don’t like him much as a person from what I’ve seen from interviews but I’m my opinion he has done  a GOOD job in the transfer market so far.

1. Dele-Bashiru- a total unit. Seems strong and good in the tackle. Can also dribble and very young. Could be a real find.

2. Dunkley- not played yet but the man is a leader. Talks a good game and is a decent defender from what I’ve seen of him. Also chips in with goals. Will be an asset in and off the pitch.

3. Brown- if he can stay fit this is a fantastic signing. Best statistics for assists last season per minute in a crappy Luton team. Could be exactly what we were missing last season.

4. Windass- I’m more than happy for him to come back and I don’t think the fee was bad either. Has some pace and great technique. Also has a decent scoring record. I think with him and Brown we should be able to create and score more this season.

5. Kachunga- is happy here too. He has the one thing that all Owls have been moaning we don’t have for years...PACE. He will be a fantastic outlet for us especially away from home on the counter. Monk tried this last season with Da Cruz but he just wasn’t good enough. Kachunga is also decent in the air too. It’s a one year freebie so in my book worth a go.

Some people forget that we are on MINUS 12. This will put a lot of players off. If we can bring in a rwb (Sanderson?) to replace Murphy and a target man to give us a plan B, then even I may start to have some optimism for next season.  Monk has done well in the transfer market so far. Let’s get behind the team. UTO

7 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I think that we have to cut Monk some slack here. Listen, after 4 wins since the turn of the year, there is no way he should be in charge of our football club this season, but he is and those are the facts.

I don’t rate him and I don’t like him much as a person from what I’ve seen from interviews but I’m my opinion he has done  a GOOD job in the transfer market so far.

1. Dele-Bashiru- a total unit. Seems strong and good in the tackle. Can also dribble and very young. Could be a real find.

2. Dunkley- not played yet but the man is a leader. Talks a good game and is a decent defender from what I’ve seen of him. Also chips in with goals. Will be an asset in and off the pitch.

3. Brown- if he can stay fit this is a fantastic signing. Best statistics for assists last season per minute in a crappy Luton team. Could be exactly what we were missing last season.

4. Windass- I’m more than happy for him to come back and I don’t think the fee was bad either. Has some pace and great technique. Also has a decent scoring record. I think with him and Brown we should be able to create and score more this season.

5. Kachunga- is happy here too. He has the one thing that all Owls have been moaning we don’t have for years...PACE. He will be a fantastic outlet for us especially away from home on the counter. Monk tried this last season with Da Cruz but he just wasn’t good enough. Kachunga is also decent in the air too. It’s a one year freebie so in my book worth a go.

Some people forget that we are on MINUS 12. This will put a lot of players off. If we can bring in a rwb (Sanderson?) to replace Murphy and a target man to give us a plan B, then even I may start to have some optimism for next season.  Monk has done well in the transfer market so far. Let’s get behind the team. UTO

Woah,who's nabbed kagoshi's log in

Jokin obviously.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Woah,who's nabbed kagoshi's log in

Jokin obviously.

Well it isn’t me for a start

• Haha 4