Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Would be great to off load Westwood, Reach, Rhodes and Lees, dont think they will get much game time if any. Cannot understand what as happened to Reach, Rhodes is too slow for our new system, Lees is also too slow and Westwood wont put an Owl shirt on again- would free up alot of money if we could be rid.

5 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/exclusive-sheffield-wednesday-set-take-legal-action-against-leicester-city-over-george-hirst-transfer-1349697

We obviously got Murphy from Newcastle as part of the compo and action taken re. Bruce fuckingoff so who knows?

What with the recent friendly and the links between the clubs (MM, Paixao and Sir Dave) then there might actually be something in that.

Not sure the friendly was a bridge building exercise

I think it was more to do with how close the respective managers are

Monk see's Rodgers as his mentor, having been his captain at Swansea

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

That would be true of any normal club, but we were far from normal. We had a hugely bloated squad, many of which were highly paid and hardly played. 

That is getting fixed, slowly admittedly but certainly is getting fixed. 

I’d wager, despite all those outgoings we are still over budget in terms of total salary. We need to offload some more high earners to be sustainable. Westwood, Rhodes, Bannan Lees and Reach likely draw the best part of £7m a season between them. I think the target is about £13m so unless we shift a few of them it’s really hard to address all the issues whilst remaining in fair play constraints. 

I am encouraged by what we have done so far in the market, by and large, signings with a good attitude, that didn’t break the bank. Still baffled why we decided to pay a fee for Windass though, given that there was no other interest. Anyway, I’m getting sidetracked, the recruitment has been good, but the problem is, if it grinds to a halt now, we are left with an unbalanced squad. There is no way we can form an effective strike force out of the ingredients we have. Yes, Windass, Kachunga, and even Rhodes, will all play their part, but without a centre forward, they are just a bunch of ill fitting pieces 

I also don’t understand Monk’s stance on Reach. There is no room for him in any of Monk’s systems, and yet he says, we can’t let him go because we are short of bodies

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Would be great to off load Westwood, Reach, Rhodes and Lees, dont think they will get much game time if any. Cannot understand what as happened to Reach, Rhodes is too slow for our new system, Lees is also too slow and Westwood wont put an Owl shirt on again- would free up alot of money if we could be rid.

I personally would not get rid of Rhodes just yet as he is the only striker we have at the club, should we sign 2 or 3 proper strikers not part time one like Kachunga and Windass (for me they are more attack minded midfielders)

But yes Westwood won't play as long as Monk is manager but the funny thing is should he last longer than Monk at the club I expect the new boss would play him. Is this on Monk or Westwood -who knows. Lees is a better player without the captains arm band and experience next to him, with Dunkley in the team he could be a better player and Reach playing on the left hand side of midfield will score and create a lot more goals that Harris will. But Harris is a monk favourite and if Reach is not going to play then he has to be sold. 

Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Not sure the friendly was a bridge building exercise

I think it was more to do with how close the respective managers are

Monk see's Rodgers as his mentor, having been his captain at Swansea

There’s all the other stuff though plus the obvious Thai connection so maybe we could end up with someone from them on loan.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I am encouraged by what we have done so far in the market, by and large, signings with a good attitude, that didn’t break the bank. Still baffled why we decided to pay a fee for Windass though, given that there was no other interest. Anyway, I’m getting sidetracked, the recruitment has been good, but the problem is, if it grinds to a halt now, we are left with an unbalanced squad. There is no way we can form an effective strike force out of the ingredients we have. Yes, Windass, Kachunga, and even Rhodes, will all play their part, but without a centre forward, they are just a bunch of ill fitting pieces 

I also don’t understand Monk’s stance on Reach. There is no room for him in any of Monk’s systems, and yet he says, we can’t let him go because we are short of bodies

I think there's more to it than that

We'll be looking for a significant fee

And no one wants to pay it

2 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

There’s all the other stuff though plus the obvious Thai connection so maybe we could end up with someone from them on loan.

I think we'll definitely get a loan from them

It would be really interesting if it's Hirst

Not sure how I'd feel about that

On one hand I'd want to shout Judas at him

But part of me has always wanted to sing the Babybird song, You're George Hirst

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think there's more to it than that

We'll be looking for a significant fee

And no one wants to pay it

Undoubtably, but the longer we wait, the less chance there will be of getting anything. Think this is one where we need to be a bit creative, and try and engineer some sort of swap deal Weren’t Boro interested in taking him back, surely there must be some sort of deal to be had there, as it’s them we owe the money to. Even a swap loan deal might work

14 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

£££££ nobody will get near to matching the wages they are on here so I can’t see any of them leaving even if the club accepted offers for them. They will all end up leaving on free transfers along with Bannan I imagine.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Agree signings are encouraging, not sure Rhodes or Reach will play much, maybe subs at best. Our trouble moving them on has got to be their wages, can't belive Monk is keeping Reach just because we are short on bodies.

26 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I preferred my one......

He drives a Seat Ibiza......

:duntmatter:

30 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

George Hirst would be a massively underwhelming signing, in our position he’s nowhere near what we require 

Best idea for GH would be league one 

Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock’s hunt for a new striker has seen him make a move for Kenneth Zohore, TEAMtalk understands.

The 26-year-old Dane finished last season with West Bromwich Albion, having previously been at Cardiff for three years where he and Warnock worked together.

This cannot be a time for brinkmanship Every league game we are forced to play without strikers, is points we cannot afford to lose. Under normal circumstances, without the points deduction, and a decent roster of strikers, yes we could afford to leave things until the end of the window, but now we cannot. We have to have all the main pieces in place as soon as there are points to be played for. 
An additional young centre back, or a fleet footed young striker, those loans can maybe wait, but a proper target man can’t 

56 minutes ago, room0035 said:

There is of course the other issue the club have not done anything about Reach, Lees, Bannan, Westwood, Rhodes, Harris, Van Aken, Odubajo, Pelupessy, Penney, Urhoghide all these players are out of contract in 10 months.

From our strongest 11 that Monk will likely pick 5 or 6 of them will be in the starting 11. 

Do we do it the DC way, wait until next summer and hope Bannan, Reach, Harris, Penney, Lees resign or do we just wing it and hope for the best.

OR 

Do we resign the players we want to keep, then use this transfer window, the loan window and January transfer window to offload the players we don't want or need and save some money on their wages and maybe get a fee or two in.

Other than Harris possibly and the two young lads if they are up to standard I doubt we'll be looking to keep any of those neither should we.