Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Guest Kagoshimaowl
16 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Woah,who's nabbed kagoshi's log in

Jokin obviously.

Lol!!!  Thought somebody may say this. Just being honest. Transfer market wise I think we’ve done well so far.

5 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Lots and lots of people absolutely deluded if they think players choose to go to clubs for anything other than financial reasons  

Come on, let’s get a grip 

So its not possible for players to choose a club which they feel will give them a better career? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Lol!!!  Thought somebody may say this. Just being honest. Transfer market wise I think we’ve done well so far.

Actually, I agree, well in so much as I think the business has been shrewd, aside from the Windass fee. All the players are capable of bringing something to the squad this season. What I’m not happy about, is starting the season with key ingredients still missing. I know the window will remain open for another month or so, and that’s great for upgrading, or fine tuning. It should be possible to add some quality loans in that period, so I have absolutely no issue with that. Going into the season without a recognised target man, anywhere in the club, especially when it is integral to the way we play, is criminal though We have lost Fletcher, Wickham, Nuhiu from the first team, plus Borukov and Damba from the U23s, and not replaced a single one of them. That is a poor show, a day before the season starts.

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 3

Guest wilyfox
20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Actually, I agree, well in so much as I think the business has been shrewd, aside from the Windass fee. All the players are capable of bringing something to the squad this season. What I’m not happy about, is starting the season with key ingredients still missing. I know the window will remain open for another month or so, and that’s great for upgrading, or fine tuning. It should be possible to add some quality loans in that period, so I have absolutely no issue with that. Going into the season without a recognised target man, anywhere in the club, especially when it is integral to the way we play, is criminal though We have lost Fletcher, Wickham, Nuhiu from the first team, plus Borukov and Damba from the U23s, and not replaced a single one of them. That is a poor show, a day before the season starts.

But if it's a choice of biding our time or signing Baston, I'd rather be patient. We need a potent no.9. It's a key signing. We don't know what our constraints are, or who the competition is, and we gotta get this one right. 

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Season long loans is the only way. Last thing we want is getting settled and then upsetting the team by them going back or being recalled. Thing with season long loans it is a win win, if we stay up and do well we might get them to sign on a permanent, if we go down they return to there parent club and get on with there life. It is more about getting the right loans and not just filling shirts.

Edited by Zlin Owl

8 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

We still can make around three more loan signings. The extra quality we need, especially in attack, may be best acquired via a loan signing. Some of our best players in recent seasons have been loan signings, we can't throw money at it, like in the first couple of years during DC's reign, when Carlos was in charge. It would be foolish to do so after our recent P&S issues, points deduction and the ongoing disrupted footballing calendar. Some of the best players at this level have been loan signings in recent years.

We probably won't be able to bring in the quality we need apart from signing inexperienced players with potential or some smart bargains from abroad, it will be difficult to find the quality we need within P&S restrictions. That doesn't mean we can't do it without throwing money at it, we have to be astute and make smart signings, that fit the team without breaking the bank. A couple more smart loan signings like Izzy Brown, would be ideal, unless we can unearth and attract a discarded player with talent or a gem from the lower leagues or abroad. To be honest I'm most excited so far by the Izzy Brown signing and the potential of FDB, and I hope we can make some more signings like that. 

i might be having a senior moment here but i thought we could have 5 loan players in an 18 man match day squad. We only have Brown on loan at the moment leaving 4 loans available

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zlin Owl said:

Season long loans is the only way. Last thing we want is getting settled and then upsetting the team by them going back or being recalled. Thing with season long loans it is a win win, if we stay up and do well we might get them to sign on a permanent, if we go down they return to there parent club and get on with there life. It is more about getting the right loans and not just filling shirts.

Appreciate what your saying the down side to that is the hector situation.

weve let something like 14 players go since last year, and signed four. Sure there’s some wriggle room to sign a long term project to developer as well as a loan signing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jim said:

Don’t think it’s possible to offer anything while the cloud of League 1 is hanging over our head?

So you would not offer extension to players you regard as your best players and instead let them leave on free.

Kind of the reason we are losing £20m a season and breaking the losses laws each season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

So you would not offer extension to players you regard as your best players and instead let them leave on free.

Kind of the reason we are losing £20m a season and breaking the losses laws each season.

Just remember how Sunderland handled "Josh Maja situation". Was reluctant to give him New contract and in the end paid fortune to replace hin with inferior player. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

No thats because we spaffed all our money on the likes of Rhodes, Abdi, Van Aken etc

We also gave new contracts to players like Forestieri when we should have sold when their value was high

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I know what you're saying but given where we are now because of alleged overspending? I suspect we'll be much more cautious going forward. I'd like to see us try and extend contracts of the youngsters now but doing so with senior pros is going to be more tricky besides I think there is only Bannan of the senior pros who are in the last year of their current contracts who I think we'd look to keep?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, malek said:

Just remember how Sunderland handled "Josh Maja situation". Was reluctant to give him New contract and in the end paid fortune to replace hin with inferior player. 

💤💤💤 we talk about our players as if they are irreplaceable. They aren’t. 

Bannan we got on a free from palace - Palace seem to be doing ok without him.

Lees- Free/paid up his contract from Leeds- Leeds have done ok without him.

Everyone crying when it looked like FF might leave - Watford were fine without him

Cardiff have been doing ok without Harris. QPR fine without Luongo 

Theres literally thousands of players that are good enough as a team to get to a mid table championship finish, and a lot of them could do it for half the wage that we have handed out over the last few years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I think that we have to cut Monk some slack here. Listen, after 4 wins since the turn of the year, there is no way he should be in charge of our football club this season, but he is and those are the facts.

I don’t rate him and I don’t like him much as a person from what I’ve seen from interviews but I’m my opinion he has done  a GOOD job in the transfer market so far.

1. Dele-Bashiru- a total unit. Seems strong and good in the tackle. Can also dribble and very young. Could be a real find.

2. Dunkley- not played yet but the man is a leader. Talks a good game and is a decent defender from what I’ve seen of him. Also chips in with goals. Will be an asset in and off the pitch.

3. Brown- if he can stay fit this is a fantastic signing. Best statistics for assists last season per minute in a crappy Luton team. Could be exactly what we were missing last season.

4. Windass- I’m more than happy for him to come back and I don’t think the fee was bad either. Has some pace and great technique. Also has a decent scoring record. I think with him and Brown we should be able to create and score more this season.

5. Kachunga- is happy here too. He has the one thing that all Owls have been moaning we don’t have for years...PACE. He will be a fantastic outlet for us especially away from home on the counter. Monk tried this last season with Da Cruz but he just wasn’t good enough. Kachunga is also decent in the air too. It’s a one year freebie so in my book worth a go.

Some people forget that we are on MINUS 12. This will put a lot of players off. If we can bring in a rwb (Sanderson?) to replace Murphy and a target man to give us a plan B, then even I may start to have some optimism for next season.  Monk has done well in the transfer market so far. Let’s get behind the team. UTO

well said. 

1. if Dele turns out to be a gem he’d be worth a fortune. Hopefully we can give him the platform to shine.

2. Dunkley must have some character to come back from that. 

3. brown yes, proven in this league and ready to go 

4. Yes works hard and has some great assets. Good solid option. 

5. pace and let’s hope he has some good form. 

ST is going to be vital -  

15 minutes ago, 83owl said:

💤💤💤 we talk about our players as if they are irreplaceable. They aren’t. 

Bannan we got on a free from palace - Palace seem to be doing ok without him.

Lees- Free/paid up his contract from Leeds- Leeds have done ok without him.

Everyone crying when it looked like FF might leave - Watford were fine without him

Cardiff have been doing ok without Harris. QPR fine without Luongo 

Theres literally thousands of players that are good enough as a team to get to a mid table championship finish, and a lot of them could do it for half the wage that we have handed out over the last few years.

It is all true, there are better players out there and some would probably be available to us. 

But you are missing the point. All players you named were let go by their clubs. I'm talking about situation where we would potentially want to keep some of players that are in last years of their contract and if they have good season and catch attention of "more attractive clubs" we are powerless to do anything about it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I think that we have to cut Monk some slack here. Listen, after 4 wins since the turn of the year, there is no way he should be in charge of our football club this season, but he is and those are the facts.

I don’t rate him and I don’t like him much as a person from what I’ve seen from interviews but I’m my opinion he has done  a GOOD job in the transfer market so far.

1. Dele-Bashiru- a total unit. Seems strong and good in the tackle. Can also dribble and very young. Could be a real find.

2. Dunkley- not played yet but the man is a leader. Talks a good game and is a decent defender from what I’ve seen of him. Also chips in with goals. Will be an asset in and off the pitch.

3. Brown- if he can stay fit this is a fantastic signing. Best statistics for assists last season per minute in a crappy Luton team. Could be exactly what we were missing last season.

4. Windass- I’m more than happy for him to come back and I don’t think the fee was bad either. Has some pace and great technique. Also has a decent scoring record. I think with him and Brown we should be able to create and score more this season.

5. Kachunga- is happy here too. He has the one thing that all Owls have been moaning we don’t have for years...PACE. He will be a fantastic outlet for us especially away from home on the counter. Monk tried this last season with Da Cruz but he just wasn’t good enough. Kachunga is also decent in the air too. It’s a one year freebie so in my book worth a go.

Some people forget that we are on MINUS 12. This will put a lot of players off. If we can bring in a rwb (Sanderson?) to replace Murphy and a target man to give us a plan B, then even I may start to have some optimism for next season.  Monk has done well in the transfer market so far. Let’s get behind the team. UTO

I agree i cant stand Monk and want him gone asap.

But i cant argue with much of this we have done well with the situation were in, pretty much everyone bar Wycombe will be a more attractive prospect to player in the league this year.

Windass and Kachunga are not what i wanted quality wise but we need bodies and they will work hard. That IS all we can get at the moment.

52 minutes ago, Jim said:

I know what you're saying but given where we are now because of alleged overspending? I suspect we'll be much more cautious going forward. I'd like to see us try and extend contracts of the youngsters now but doing so with senior pros is going to be more tricky besides I think there is only Bannan of the senior pros who are in the last year of their current contracts who I think we'd look to keep?

For me it is planning season to season it just shows there is no longer view with the club, Bannan is now the captain the affect it could have on Lees but Lees could be gone at the end of the season and so could Bannan on Frees, Harris was plucked from obscurity at Cardiff if he finds his feet this season and des well he will be of elsewhere for no money on a free. Reach had a bad season last year but when you don't play him in his position what do you expect, He was worth upwards of £10m at one point or at least what we paid for him but again will be off on a free in 10 months.

Then of course we have Westwood not allowed to play but every time we get an offer the chairman asks for a fee, then what happens he sits at home on £25k a week for probably now 2 season that £2.5m wasted on wages or 5,000 season tickets on the kop. 

I am all for running the club financially better but letting players leave on frees is insane and letting other not needed sit at home is equally stupid, what makes it worse with Westwood is for many he is still better than both Dawson and Wildsmith even the fact he is not the keeper he was 18 months ago.

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

For me it is planning season to season it just shows there is no longer view with the club, Bannan is now the captain the affect it could have on Lees but Lees could be gone at the end of the season and so could Bannan on Frees, Harris was plucked from obscurity at Cardiff if he finds his feet this season and des well he will be of elsewhere for no money on a free. Reach had a bad season last year but when you don't play him in his position what do you expect, He was worth upwards of £10m at one point or at least what we paid for him but again will be off on a free in 10 months.

Then of course we have Westwood not allowed to play but every time we get an offer the chairman asks for a fee, then what happens he sits at home on £25k a week for probably now 2 season that £2.5m wasted on wages or 5,000 season tickets on the kop. 

I am all for running the club financially better but letting players leave on frees is insane and letting other not needed sit at home is equally stupid, what makes it worse with Westwood is for many he is still better than both Dawson and Wildsmith even the fact he is not the keeper he was 18 months ago.

I think Harris has got 2 years left on his contract? It's Odubajo who has 1?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Appreciate what your saying the down side to that is the hector situation.

weve let something like 14 players go since last year, and signed four. Sure there’s some wriggle room to sign a long term project to developer as well as a loan signing.

A bit of this, though I agree with others, we can, and probably will, use the loan market, but we have lost 5 centre forwards, or target men, from our professional ranks. It’s absurd that we don’t have any at all, and while there’s an opportunity to bring a good one in on loan, we also need a couple more of our own. Previously we’d maybe have Fletcher as first choice, with Nuhiu as back up, with young Hirst in the development squad, and Borukov understudying him. Now we have nobody, if that isn’t mismanagement, I don’t know what is

• Like 2