Player motivation - writing is already on the wall

Just a theory...

Maybe the high earners who's contracts expire in the summer already know they cannot earn another contact here? 

Chansiri sold the stadium which tides us over this season, next season we cannot afford those wages without promotion (as we cannot sell the stadium again).

Then, if these players do earn promotion we will still let them go anyway as we need to buy better for the prem. 

The whole thing leads to players which stuggle to get motivated. Monk has a hell of a job on his hands, let's get behind him. Some tough decisions ahead which need making.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m not a pro footballer, but isn’t having a promotion on your CV enough to motivate you? Having the experience of going up and all the celebrations that go with it. That would do it for me I think.

Yep it should be and would be for me, but is it for them?

14 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Their profession is as a competitive sportsman 

if they can’t compete they won’t get a contract anywhere 

just keep dropping down until people pay them what their worth 

Unless the buying club don't rate Monk, then they know the player will out perform what they paid for them.

33 minutes ago, swfc.4.ever said:

Just a theory...

Maybe the high earners who's contracts expire in the summer already know they cannot earn another contact here? 

Chansiri sold the stadium which tides us over this season, next season we cannot afford those wages without promotion (as we cannot sell the stadium again).

Then, if these players do earn promotion we will still let them go anyway as we need to buy better for the prem. 

The whole thing leads to players which stuggle to get motivated. Monk has a hell of a job on his hands, let's get behind him. Some tough decisions ahead which need making.

I’m not sure about that, for instance Fox is out of contract, and there’s been no slackening in his performances. Was Fletcher just going through the motions, before his injury? It could be the case that, maybe some of those who aren’t getting game time, might feel that way. Even if that were the case, it doesn’t effect our performances because they aren’t in the team

Guest LondonOwl313

People keep going on as if we have loads of players who are on big money and the reason they're rubbish is because they don't care or whatever. But we actually have very few who fit into that category.

Westwood - doesn't play anymore

Hutchinson - doesn't play anymore

Lees - never has been great on the ball and doesn't do well leading the defence, not the same player without Loovens.

Lee - injuries taken their toll

Bannan - still quality but offers little when the rest of the team around him is poor.

FF - still looks decent when he plays which isn't anywhere near often enough. He could fit into the above category.

Rhodes - poor but doesn't look to just be a lack of effort thing, he's shot

Winnall - lack of quality 

Fletcher - still quality 

The reason our performances are so poor isn't to do with the above players. Only Lees and Bannan are actually playing regularly so how can it be the others' fault. Reason we're poor is because the main starters are the likes of Dawson, Palmer, Fox, Pelupessy, Nuhui, Harris, Murphy, Reach etc... some of these players are ok and are squad fillers but they aren't top 6 standard hence why we don't get top 6 results.

We need to bring in some new top 6 standard players and/or get the old ones firing again otherwise we won't make it

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m not a pro footballer, but isn’t having a promotion on your CV enough to motivate you? Having the experience of going up and all the celebrations that go with it. That would do it for me I think.

Visiting a children’s hospital whilst being paid twenty grand a week would do it for me.

2 hours ago, Big Jack said:

Part time hobby job earning 20k a week,  it's a lovely life

Firstly, part time? Clearly you have no knowledge of what a professional player does. They are training every day they aren't playing (with the possible exception of the morning after a matchday) along with the personal nutrition and gym work, tactical work, commercial commitments, club commitments and a hundred and one other little bits they have to do. They work more hours than the average person, that's for sure. It's not a bad life, but don't be under the illusion that it's an easy life. 

And secondly, you think our average player wage is £20k? The average wages for the bottom half of the Premier League is below £40k. The grunter's average is £9k, Norwich is £12k and Villa (who spent a lot more on wages than we do) is £25k. 

4 minutes ago, Minton said:

Firstly, part time? Clearly you have no knowledge of what a professional player does. They are training every day they aren't playing (with the possible exception of the morning after a matchday) along with the personal nutrition and gym work, tactical work, commercial commitments, club commitments and a hundred and one other little bits they have to do. They work more hours than the average person, that's for sure. It's not a bad life, but don't be under the illusion that it's an easy life. 

And secondly, you think our average player wage is £20k? The average wages for the bottom half of the Premier League is below £40k. The grunter's average is £9k, Norwich is £12k and Villa (who spent a lot more on wages than we do) is £25k. 

Didums.

• Haha 1

I'd find it INCREDIBLY surprising if all the players had been told now they weren't getting a contract. One or two I get, but not all.

In what business is half the workforce told they wouldn't be needed in 3 months time (except business closure/temp contracting/mass redundancy). 

If this has been done it would merely highlight another odd decision made. Maybe we're just going through a bad run of form - all teams have done it even the mighty brentford and notts forest who both went through similar runs to the one we find ourselves in now

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

In the modern game with the obscene amounts of money swilling round I think players priorities ain't winning trophies or promotions 

I agree but some of those coming to the end of their contracts are at an age where at best they're looking at another championship club on lower wages or league 1. Ross Wallace from the championship to the lower end of the Scottish premiership for example

Really, even if you were a 30 year old millionaire?