Player motivation - writing is already on the wall

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I doubt any of the players who are out of contract at end of the season have been told directly they wont be getting a new one at Wednesday.
But they must know that if the club was keen on keeping them they would have been offered something by now. I am sure most will have a vibe they will be moving on in the summer and have already got they agent to sound out other clubs to see if they are wanted elsewhere next season.

Each player reacts differently, some will be busting a gut to show they worth to get a contract here or elsewhere, other will subconsciously switch off and lose they edge knowing they are already made for life and wont be here next season. 

Just guessing really but you'd think that some players Fletcher for instance has made enough money out of football to live comfortably and what with injuries which seem to happen more often than not might be thinking its time to either call it a day or look for a nice easy pay day like Hooper?

39 minutes ago, Minton said:

Does that make them any different from the average person though? I don't know many people who would bleed and die for Sandra in HR. Particularly when you know that in 5-10 years you will be out of a job, permanently. Making the most of a short career (one that is one bad tackle away from ending tomorrow) can't really be faulted.

Yeah of course it doesn't make them different and thats the point I'm making. The big difference is that we all like to believe that the players care about the club as much as we do but 95% won't and don't. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Chow said:

May as well be part time the bleeders are never in 

I see you negged me before. Can you explain what you think professional footballers do and why you think it's easy? Not in a sarcastic way, I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning 

3 hours ago, Minton said:

Firstly, part time? Clearly you have no knowledge of what a professional player does. They are training every day they aren't playing (with the possible exception of the morning after a matchday) along with the personal nutrition and gym work, tactical work, commercial commitments, club commitments and a hundred and one other little bits they have to do. They work more hours than the average person, that's for sure. It's not a bad life, but don't be under the illusion that it's an easy life. 

And secondly, you think our average player wage is £20k? The average wages for the bottom half of the Premier League is below £40k. The grunter's average is £9k, Norwich is £12k and Villa (who spent a lot more on wages than we do) is £25k. 

Even Nuhiu (according to the Football League Paper at the weekend) is on 13k per week, and he is a squad player at best, I would be surprised if the average wage wasn't close to , or North of, 20k per week.

2 hours ago, Striggy said:

I actually think @Minton made a good reasoned point. I am sure some people on here think that all they do is turn up on a Saturday afternoon. Injured players actually need to report and often have to put in an extraordinary amount of rehabilitation work. Most are overpaid for sure, but sacrifice a lot.  Your response is somewhat childish.

For £9k per week you believe they have a hard life? Some life you’ve clearly had!

7 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

For £9k per week you believe they have a hard life? Some life you’ve clearly had!

Not at all, but its not all roses and considerable sacrifices have to be made to play consistently at professional levels these days.  Are they overpaid and spoilt?  Yes indeed, but do not let what they earn make you think its an easy life, hard work and dedication often comes at a high cost, Not the same for all maybe but the days of partying and having a couple of jars before turning out on a Saturday afternoon are long gone. 

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

17 hours ago, swfc.4.ever said:

Just a theory...

Maybe the high earners who's contracts expire in the summer already know they cannot earn another contact here? 

Chansiri sold the stadium which tides us over this season, next season we cannot afford those wages without promotion (as we cannot sell the stadium again).

Then, if these players do earn promotion we will still let them go anyway as we need to buy better for the prem. 

The whole thing leads to players which stuggle to get motivated. Monk has a hell of a job on his hands, let's get behind him. Some tough decisions ahead which need making.

Footballers want to win football matches. They won’t want to lose games just to ensure they stay in the same league incase they are deemed surplus to requirements upon promotion to the PL. I’ve never seen a muted celebration from promoted teams.

United stuck with the nucleus of the team that gained promotion and aren’t doing too badly.  

Plus to buy a whole team of PL standard on paper would cost far more than the initial money gained from promotion/tv rights, so several would have to play in the PL either way.

14 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

People keep going on as if we have loads of players who are on big money and the reason they're rubbish is because they don't care or whatever. But we actually have very few who fit into that category.

Westwood - doesn't play anymore

Hutchinson - doesn't play anymore

Lees - never has been great on the ball and doesn't do well leading the defence, not the same player without Loovens.

Lee - injuries taken their toll

Bannan - still quality but offers little when the rest of the team around him is poor.

FF - still looks decent when he plays which isn't anywhere near often enough. He could fit into the above category.

Rhodes - poor but doesn't look to just be a lack of effort thing, he's shot

Winnall - lack of quality 

Fletcher - still quality 

The reason our performances are so poor isn't to do with the above players. Only Lees and Bannan are actually playing regularly so how can it be the others' fault. Reason we're poor is because the main starters are the likes of Dawson, Palmer, Fox, Pelupessy, Nuhui, Harris, Murphy, Reach etc... some of these players are ok and are squad fillers but they aren't top 6 standard hence why we don't get top 6 results.

We need to bring in some new top 6 standard players and/or get the old ones firing again otherwise we won't make it

I get what you're saying but I beg to differ. All those players you've mentioned bar Westwood and Fletch have featured at some point since mid December. 

Palmer has only just come back as has FF.

They are all partially to blame. Simple fact is we lack quality throughout the squad. Your initial list is crammed with fading stars.

15 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

I'd find it INCREDIBLY surprising if all the players had been told now they weren't getting a contract. One or two I get, but not all.

In what business is half the workforce told they wouldn't be needed in 3 months time (except business closure/temp contracting/mass redundancy). 

If this has been done it would merely highlight another odd decision made. Maybe we're just going through a bad run of form - all teams have done it even the mighty brentford and notts forest who both went through similar runs to the one we find ourselves in now

Maybe they don't need telling, maybe they are just aware of our financial situation for next season?