Player motivation - writing is already on the wall

Just now, darra said:

I agree but some of those coming to the end of their contracts are at an age where at best they're looking at another championship club on lower wages or league 1. Ross Wallace from the championship to the lower end of the Scottish premiership for example

That's another way of saying they'll be paid what their worth not what they're currently getting. 

TBH all those released over the last two summers will be receiving far less than they did with DC, with the possible exception of Hooper.  It really ought to be an incentive to show what they have to offer, if not for us, but for prospective new employers.

1 hour ago, Minton said:

Firstly, part time? Clearly you have no knowledge of what a professional player does. They are training every day they aren't playing (with the possible exception of the morning after a matchday) along with the personal nutrition and gym work, tactical work, commercial commitments, club commitments and a hundred and one other little bits they have to do. They work more hours than the average person, that's for sure. It's not a bad life, but don't be under the illusion that it's an easy life. 

And secondly, you think our average player wage is £20k? The average wages for the bottom half of the Premier League is below £40k. The grunter's average is £9k, Norwich is £12k and Villa (who spent a lot more on wages than we do) is £25k. 

I know/have known pro footballers at various levels from PL down to non league and there’s no way they work harder over a year than the average person. 

22 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I know/have known pro footballers at various levels from PL down to non league and there’s no way they work harder over a year than the average person. 

You're right.. they don't.

They have different pressures to the man in the street but get well rewarded for it..

Tbf, even though I can't understand it...most of them are playing like they're just going through the motions at the moment. 

Bar Luton (though we will probably help them out tonight), we are the worst team in the Championship right now in terms of form/performances. 

13 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m not a pro footballer, but isn’t having a promotion on your CV enough to motivate you? Having the experience of going up and all the celebrations that go with it. That would do it for me I think.

To be fair having listened to a lot of Under the Cosh podcast I'd say most are selfish, rightly so, out to get as much money as they can. Genuinely don't really care massively about the fans or club they play for. See teammates as the biggest threat to their own success and generally cut themselves off from the world of football fans. Its not to say this is wrong but to most mid to older players they see it as a job rather than bleeding and dying for the cause. Its the reality of footballers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

To be fair having listened to a lot of Under the Cosh podcast I'd say most are selfish, rightly so, out to get as much money as they can. Genuinely don't really care massively about the fans or club they play for. See teammates as the biggest threat to their own success and generally cut themselves off from the world of football fans. Its not to say this is wrong but to most mid to older players they see it as a job rather than bleeding and dying for the cause. Its the reality of footballers. 

Does that make them any different from the average person though? I don't know many people who would bleed and die for Sandra in HR. Particularly when you know that in 5-10 years you will be out of a job, permanently. Making the most of a short career (one that is one bad tackle away from ending tomorrow) can't really be faulted.

2 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

I'd find it INCREDIBLY surprising if all the players had been told now they weren't getting a contract. One or two I get, but not all.

In what business is half the workforce told they wouldn't be needed in 3 months time (except business closure/temp contracting/mass redundancy)

If this has been done it would merely highlight another odd decision made. Maybe we're just going through a bad run of form - all teams have done it even the mighty brentford and notts forest who both went through similar runs to the one we find ourselves in now

It's pity we cannot make players redundant, Pay them 13 weeks wages and let them go.

4 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

It's pity we cannot make players redundant, Pay them 13 weeks wages and let them go.

You can, it's called mutual termination. It doesn't work with the transfer windows though now as the player can't be replaced with anyone other than someone else on a free transfer, who isn't match fit. It's also a big lump sum to pay. If they had been on loan previously they can't play for another team until the summer if they had been registered in the squad too.

Edited by Minton

2 hours ago, robowl4life said:

Didums.

I actually think @Minton made a good reasoned point. I am sure some people on here think that all they do is turn up on a Saturday afternoon. Injured players actually need to report and often have to put in an extraordinary amount of rehabilitation work. Most are overpaid for sure, but sacrifice a lot.  Your response is somewhat childish.

• Thanks 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

2 hours ago, Minton said:

Firstly, part time? Clearly you have no knowledge of what a professional player does. They are training every day they aren't playing (with the possible exception of the morning after a matchday) along with the personal nutrition and gym work, tactical work, commercial commitments, club commitments and a hundred and one other little bits they have to do. They work more hours than the average person, that's for sure. It's not a bad life, but don't be under the illusion that it's an easy life. 

And secondly, you think our average player wage is £20k? The average wages for the bottom half of the Premier League is below £40k. The grunter's average is £9k, Norwich is £12k and Villa (who spent a lot more on wages than we do) is £25k. 

Our average weekly wage was reported to be £17,476 by Maguire so there’ll be plenty at the club earning more than 20k a week

73792418-E8FB-425C-89A8-D1DE3BBC68BA.jpeg

3 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Who said owt about replacing a redundant player instantly?.

The object would be to get the running costs of the business down.

You have a limited number of players available due to squad size restrictions, restricts your options if players are injured or suspended.

The way the players downed tools at Wigan tells you that this mob haven’t got the passion or desire to take this club up

In recent years we’ve sat back and watched sides gain promotion who’ve had nowhere near as much talent in their squad as ours (Cardiff, Pigs, Norwich,Huddersfield), but they did it because they had the right mentality and the desire to do so. Ours don’t and  barring a few (Dawson, Fox, Palmer, Harris, Borner, Iorfa, Loungo and Fletcher)  I want to see the back of the lot of em

I doubt any of the players who are out of contract at end of the season have been told directly they wont be getting a new one at Wednesday.
But they must know that if the club was keen on keeping them they would have been offered something by now. I am sure most will have a vibe they will be moving on in the summer and have already got they agent to sound out other clubs to see if they are wanted elsewhere next season.

Each player reacts differently, some will be busting a gut to show they worth to get a contract here or elsewhere, other will subconsciously switch off and lose they edge knowing they are already made for life and wont be here next season. 

2 hours ago, Minton said:

Oh dear , I will start a fund for underpaid over worked footballers, bless them.

Why play football, or any sport, or enter into any competition if you don't ultimately want to win.

They're still getting paid, so surely the motivation is try to win every match. Earn your next deal elsewhere if your not getting one here. 

If you bagged 25 goals there more chance of a fat prem contract than there is if you got 3 or 4.