35 years ago today......Reyt neet!

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Didn't we lose the replay as well in the last minute?

I was at the replay, (I think it was a second replay) and it was a bad night. The result was immaterial.

Our coach was late and we had to go through the Chelsea supporters to get to the away section. I remember the copper getting on our coach and telling us to be quiet as we had to walk through the Chelsea fans to get to our end.

Of course there's always one who starts chanting Wednesday. Ran like Billy Hunt to our end, head down and didn't look back. Copper was on our gate and every time a Wednesday fan got there he would open up and quickly shut the gate. I think he was stood on the away end side.

Our bit was literally a cage. (see below, not against us) It was the match that Ken Bates wanted to use electric fencing as crowd control. The local counsel denied him that privilege.

At the final whistle there was proper battling with the police and the Chelsea fans. All in front of us in glorious technical. I remember the Chelsea fans weren't that bothered in coming for us, they wanted the old bill.

Tried doing a search on the web but nothing.

3DC2343800000578-4266738-The_fashions_of

7 minutes ago, Nigel Farage said:

I was at the replay, (I think it was a second replay) and it was a bad night. The result was immaterial.

Our coach was late and we had to go through the Chelsea supporters to get to the away section. I remember the copper getting on our coach and telling us to be quiet as we had to walk through the Chelsea fans to get to our end.

Of course there's always one who starts chanting Wednesday. Ran like Billy Hunt to our end, head down and didn't look back. Copper was on our gate and every time a Wednesday fan got there he would open up and quickly shut the gate. I think he was stood on the away end side.

Our bit was literally a cage. (see below, not against us) It was the match that Ken Bates wanted to use electric fencing as crowd control. The local counsel denied him that privilege.

At the final whistle there was proper battling with the police and the Chelsea fans. All in front of us in glorious technical. I remember the Chelsea fans weren't that bothered in coming for us, they wanted the old bill.

Tried doing a search on the web but nothing.

3DC2343800000578-4266738-The_fashions_of

It was bad after the home match on Penistone Road. Chelsea fans windmilling everywhere.

I couldn't get a ticket for the replay, by the looks of that, I'm glad I didn't.

35 years ago, how can it be true? Sat with my Dad in the North stand that night. A match to take to your grave....

a tremendous disappointment, the fact it was probably the game of the 80s was no consolation in the face of our dreams being wrecked. It still isn’t.

Wednesday to me to that point seemed fairly indestructible. Nobody had ever taken us apart since I started watching in 76. I thought Wilkinson’s team would improve and eventually win the league. 
It all came crashing down in 45 minutes on that evening. Panic, disbelief, fear and dread filled that second half. The dream I had for us never felt the same again and the spell was broken. 
From that night on, I knew what it was to be a Wednesday fan.

Whenever I hear 1999 by Prince I will always see Canoville, like a Bond villain dancing through to the Kop goal....

9 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Remember it well. Stood on the Kop. What a game that was 

yes so was I near the old hump 

on the way out - feet hardly touched the floor carried out as the waterfall of people left down the old ramp- bloody scary 

I was on the uncovered near their fans.

They had a mob in who got took out when they showed themselves doing “One man went to mow.”

Loads of fighting after on Penistone Road and in Hillsboro’ Park - one of our lot got properly slashed - they jumped out of the trees - seriously!  Reyt game and a mad night!!

My mate and I got there a little late, and everything was closed except the West stand, or possibly the Triangle (it was 35 years ago!) We like everyone else were planning the trip to Sunderland at half time. 

I watched a documentary a little while ago which featured Canoville where it showed that he became a victim of racism from the fans and the club, amongst several black players on their books.

Just now, swfc4_sufc0 said:

My mate and I got there a little late, and everything was closed except the West stand, or possibly the Triangle (it was 35 years ago!) We like everyone else were planning the trip to Sunderland at half time. 

I watched a documentary a little while ago which featured Canoville where it showed that he became a victim of racism from the fans and the club, amongst several black players on their books.

They called him Duncan Coonoville.  His own supporters.

5 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

They called him Duncan Coonoville.  His own supporters.

Some Chelsea fans turned their back on the pitch if a black player scored for them and discounted goals scored by black players, so if they won two nil and one goal was scored by a black player, they would say they'd only won one nil. 

2 minutes ago, Nut said:

Some Chelsea fans turned their back on the pitch if a black player scored for them and discounted goals scored by black players, so if they won two nil and one goal was scored by a black player, they would say they'd only won one nil. 

I remember some England fans refusing to celebrate John Barnes’ wonder goal v Brazil.

The good old days!

23 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Didn't we lose the replay as well in the last minute?

Don't think so.  We lost to a blatantly offside goal.   I remember the TV interview after, where the Chelsea player said ' The linesman done alright for us there'.   Summed it up. Oddly, I'm sure they lost to bottom club Sunderland in the semi final.