35 years ago today......Reyt neet!

I was on the Kop with my best mate. Like many others we were leaving when we heard the roar for our penalty. Ran back up to see it scored but being young uns we couldn't push our way back in properly so gave up on extra time and went home to watch it on Sportsnight or Midweek Sports Special. I remember seeing loads of fans running back down to the ground to get back in.

2 hours ago, Striggy said:

IIRC did Chelsea not end up kicking off for both halves, either in the match or for the ET?

Think it was extra time. 

I went to replay at Stamford Bridge, we were leading 1-0 for ages, think it was a late equaliser to take game into extra time and then they scored late on in extra time.

Lots of trouble that night, we were put on an open terrace behind goal that was split with a fence down middle but fans used same turnstiles and path leading up to top of terrace, missiles were been thrown over fence most of night. 

Chelsea went on to lose to Sunderland in semi final over 2 legs, lots of trouble during 2nd leg when Sunderland went 3-1 up. 

Edited by bradowl

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Proper Football!

Impossible to explain to younger fans what it was like then. No internet, standing up, Chelsea fans packed Leppings Lane and kept up a monotonous "Chelsea, Chelsea" for ages. Atmosphere was electric, Chelsea had the in form Kerry Dixon and two really horrible players in Thomas and Speedie.  Everyone was buzzing at half time and no one had ever heard of Canoville. They got a lucky break from kick off and we suddenly looked vulnerable. Them the sight of Rougvie holding his hands out in innocence when it was the most blatant penalty you;ll ever see. Even then with the way the night was going I thought Mr Reliable might miss! 

• Thanks 2

Guest Manwithastick
3 hours ago, Striggy said:

IIRC did Chelsea not end up kicking off for both halves, either in the match or for the ET?

I just came here to post this. Robbed. 

34 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Them the sight of Rougvie holding his hands out in innocence when it was the most blatant penalty you;ll ever see. 

Mel Sterland himself said it was a dive in one of the Wednesday books I've read. It still looks like a foul even now.

We completely froze after that goal straight from the second half kick-off and could easily have lost. So strange after battering them for the first 45 minutes.

You're right about Speedie and Thomas though. Horrible little shithouses they were.

5 hours ago, Baldrick said:

At half time we were already booking coaches for the trip to Sunderland in the semis ! 

This is my memory of that night too.what a game, I honestly don't know if it's because I'm older and have seen hundreds of games since then but I recall football seeming so different back then. 

53 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Chelsea are a global brand these days and their fan base has adjusted accordingly. In those days they were pretty poisonous. Violent, often explicitly racist, and had been a recruiting ground for the National Front. 

Remember their ‘main man’ looked like buster bloodvessel ( lead singer of bad manners)  :tango:

Hard as it might be for the young uns on here to believe, Chelsea were probably our closest rivals on the pitch in the 1980s. They'd pipped us to the Division 2 title the previous season, and would go on to finish 6th, a point clear of us in 8th that season. The next season, they were 6th again, but this time 2 points behind us in 5th. However, both teams then slipped into mid-table and relegation, Chelsea two seasons before us. Both then bounced back at the first attempt. And of course we got League Cup revenge in the 1990/91 semi-finals.

Edited by Sova
  • Like 2

Listened to it on radio. My dad went out to pick my mum up or summat and he heard they'd scored the 4th on the car radio. By the time he'd got back into the house we'd just equalised and I was in the kitchen to greet him, crying with joy and emotion. He didn't know what had happened and I couldn't explain it through tears. First time I'd ever felt like that as I was only 10. Proper strange memory. 

• Like 1