Team for Saturday

14 minutes ago, deaks1984 said:

It's amazing how many people still think he's one of our best players. He constantly gives possession away with his "Hollywood" balls. 

I think the poor balls are compounded by the fact that we are so slow to break, and by the time he's tried to spray one, the ball is back on the edge of our box.

He gets deeper and deeper as matches wear on and because we insist on sending everything through him we end up defending on top of Dawson. 

I don't think it's any coincidence we are losing so many games in the last few minutes. 

BB has ability and is capable of a decent pass at range, but at the moment it feels like he's playing a "look at me" game and every pass has to be a worldy.

It's also annoyed me that for so long, every single set piece had to be taken by him. It's the same predictable floater to the back stick every time, the defending team have so much time to read it.

For a long time his corners were exactly the same. 

I do think the corners were something Monk picked up on because at one point we started to see the odd corner took by Murphy etc. and then all of a sudden BB started to whip and ping a few deliveries. As soon as this happened we seemed to start scoring from corners. We scored 3 goals in a row from corners at one point, albeit one of em was the floated delivery. I just wish the free kicks would follow suit rather than just be an opportunity for the opposition to regain possession.

Personally I think we get the best out of BB with 3 in the middle and Luongo next to him. Unfortunately I don't think we are in a position to build a team around Barry Bannan. He's not good enough to dictate our formation and team selection.

(Puts tin hat on)

Look Messi you are to good we aren't signing you. 

Bannan plays a loads of every day passes.  You just remember the good ones, as no one else plays them in the team to any great amount. 

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Look Messi you are to good we aren't signing you. 

Bannan plays a loads of every day passes.  You just remember the good ones, as no one else plays them in the team to any great amount.

So does Nuhiu do you fancy him at quarterback too?

My point is I wish he'd do more of what he's good at and less of what is causing us to lose possession multiple times per game.

He needs to be further up the pitch before he tries his through balls at the frequency he does. Not sat almost as a 3rd centre back pirouetting 2 or 3 times and then cracking a 50 yarder to the opposition.

:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deaks1984 said:

So does Nuhiu do you fancy him at quarterback too?

My point is I wish he'd do more of what he's good at and less of what is causing us to lose possession multiple times per game.

He needs to be further up the pitch before he tries his through balls at the frequency he does. Not sat almost as a 3rd centre back pirouetting 2 or 3 times and then cracking a 50 yarder to the opposition.

:)

We should be getting players as the same level as Bannan not getting Bannan to drop down to the level of the others.

20 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Are you hinting? Look I'll put you on the subs bench.

You're fūcking joking! I deserve a start. If I'm only on the bench, I'm not getting on the fūcking coach alright! Twåt.

Edited by Hitcat
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

Why is everyone picking Bannan..

He was one of our worse players last night..

Him and pessy totally non existent. 

When Monk came he said that he wanted to see a more all round game from Bannan and see him applying a more defensive side to his game. Against Blackburn (whether you agree with it or not) Bannan was playing a more defensive midfielder role. This must be what Monk has asked him to do. Bannan was dreadful and for me it was almost as if he had downed tools.

After 20 minutes of the game I asked my dad to let me know when Bannan actually attempts a tackle...... He didnt attempt a single one in the remaining 70 minutes of the game. Yet hes happy to do his old windmill arms at everyone else.

Sorry, but if hes not prepared to put a shift in when he puts on the famous blue and white then we are better off without him.

Sell him to one of the numerous teams who are falling over themselves to sign the sooper dooper Barry Bannan.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

We should be getting players as the same level as Bannan not getting Bannan to drop down to the level of the others.

I get what you are saying but just because someone is technically gifted doesn't mean they can lead a team or stick to a role they are given. 

Bannan regularly has the arm band on when he drops so deep. It sets the tone for the rest of the team.

Ironically I think he's got too big for his boots and needs someone to kick him up the backside and tell him to play further up the field.

Never doubted his ability and I agree more players with his quality would be welcome but they also need to be utilised correctly. Maybe frustration is causing him to drop so deep, but as a senior member of the squad who is chosen to lead the team when Lees isn't on the pitch, he should know better than most that he has to stick to his job.

I'm pretty sure Monk's idea last night was for Joey to sit and for Bannan to play more advanced. That was how it seemed for the first 20 minutes or so. As the game progressed Bannan got deeper and deeper again.

The team began to follow suit and the inevitable happened again.

Maybe he doesn't have the confidence in the players behind him but that doesn't mean he should play his own game.

Dawson

Moses Iorfa hutch/lees Fox

Bannan  hutch/luongo   reach     

Murphy  Nuhui  ff 

Hutch was superb vs leeds at cb and always gets injured at cm but if luongo out borner still needs dropping so lees

Take ff off when hes knackered, no point messing about on bench for weeks on end, season nearly over anyway

3 minutes ago, deaks1984 said:

I get what you are saying but just because someone is technically gifted doesn't mean they can lead a team or stick to a role they are given. 

Bannan regularly has the arm band on when he drops so deep. It sets the tone for the rest of the team.

Ironically I think he's got too big for his boots and needs someone to kick him up the backside and tell him to play further up the field.

Never doubted his ability and I agree more players with his quality would be welcome but they also need to be utilised correctly. Maybe frustration is causing him to drop so deep, but as a senior member of the squad who is chosen to lead the team when Lees isn't on the pitch, he should know better than most that he has to stick to his job.

I'm pretty sure Monk's idea last night was for Joey to sit and for Bannan to play more advanced. That was how it seemed for the first 20 minutes or so. As the game progressed Bannan got deeper and deeper again.

The team began to follow suit and the inevitable happened again.

Maybe he doesn't have the confidence in the players behind him but that doesn't mean he should play his own game.

Think we need to worry about the others, I agree he does drop to deep needs to be in and around the centre circle and going forward we should sign players who are at least on a par with Bannan.

11 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Think we need to worry about the others, I agree he does drop to deep needs to be in and around the centre circle and going forward we should sign players who are at least on a par with Bannan.

We have many on a par with Bannan, (poor out of possession and lacking in the tackle), think Palmer, Murphy and Reach.

If you did not see it initially look at the mess that Joey and Bannan made of trying to prevent the ball getting into our box last night, just watch the highlights on Sky. Look at their positions after one man beat them both. I'm not sure how anyone pins the blame on Borner for that one. The man who scores is Tom Lees man and another out jumps Moses, perhaps Dawson could have got out quicker?

The real truth is the team should defend as a whole, but in particular with BB we are playing with one light defensively and that stretches the others.  We are not good enough to carry BB at the back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

Why is everyone picking Bannan..

He was one of our worse players last night..

Him and pessy totally non existent. 

I am moving towards the idea of dropping Bannan - or even sounding out the possibility of a sale / loan before deadline day. Suppose Luongo being injured might go against that.

He is very gifted, but we / he insist on playing him far too deep and having everything go through him. This leaves us predictable and imbalanced. 

It might also send a message to some of the others that nobody is untouchable. 

4 minutes ago, should know better said:

We have many on a par with Bannan, (poor out of possession and lacking in the tackle), think Palmer, Murphy and Reach.

If you did not see it initially look at the mess that Joey and Bannan made of trying to prevent the ball getting into our box last night, just watch the highlights on Sky. Look at their positions after one man beat them both. I'm not sure how anyone pins the blame on Borner for that one. The man who scores is Tom Lees man and another out jumps Moses, perhaps Dawson could have got out quicker?

The real truth is the team should defend as a whole, but in particular with BB we are playing with one light defensively and that stretches the others.  We are not good enough to carry BB at the back.

I'm not making the case for Bannan playing at the back, for me should be the last player who is defending at the back.

If I had my way Bannan wouldn't drop further back than the centre circle.

Palmer is only on the same level as Bannan when they are tying their shoelaces.