New book on the Owls' Darkest Times 73-76

1 hour ago, S A Andy said:

74 it was A guy called Bobby Brown scored, his only goal for us ( mind you we never scored often in those days!!

I recall it being in front of the owls fans....The years before The Bolton Kop had been split down the middle with like corrugated metal...and coins and all sorts were tossed over, you daren't watch the game in case summat was coming your way...That year we were on the other end and it more or less led straight to the coachpark...We were wanderin' out asking if we had won or not...It was ridiculous, cos the players just seemed to walk off after the goal went in..

Anyone go to that Walsall game ..in the monsoon when it got called off?

It was hilarious...Wednesday fans ended up joining in a park game on the way back to the station....I was jammed under the roof on the side terrace..where it sorta split...it was like being under a waterfall

On 24/01/2020 at 23:28, qantas said:

Might have been one of the worse periods for Wednesday on the pitch but, off the pitch as a supporter was the best time I can remember, results apart the fans were fantastic, I traveled all over England with the best set of supporters ever, I hardly missed a game from 1970 to 1979 & the memories are brilliant, I will definitely be getting that book, can't wait for it.

Love Wednesday, loved the 70's, I'm in my sixties now & still think about those days.

A great post. I started attending in 1977 when I was 8. I could not believe even as a young kid the number of fans that travelled to away games.    

1 minute ago, S A Andy said:

Went to that one as well, didn't we lose the rearranged match 5-1?

Can't remember mate...can remember not being able to find the bloody ground....unlike Halifax away...when we sorta walked through a park, jumped over a fence and we were in without paying...stood on black shale that moved under yer feet...that was a riveting 0-0 if i recall lol

Guest Bulgaria
On 25/01/2020 at 05:46, Calgary Owl said:

first game at Hillsborough vs Everton in the League cup, fantastic atmosphere with 39,000

That was also my first game. 

I remember being in the west stand, God knows why. Did we lose 3-1?

14 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Can't remember mate...can remember not being able to find the bloody ground....unlike Halifax away...when we sorta walked through a park, jumped over a fence and we were in without paying...stood on black shale that moved under yer feet...that was a riveting 0-0 if i recall lol

Yes it was a 0-0 draw, amazing away success that horrendous season, we celebrated getting a point at the mighty Halifax! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Think the difference then mate, was you went to watch the game, have a laugh, (all the other stuff that went on in those days) & you felt part of something. You had to stick together for the obvious reasons. 

Mainly though you went to watch a match. It probably wouldn't have had any bearing on anything, probably didn't really matter in the scheme of things if we won or lost, it was just another match that you attended because you did.

Nowadays, everything is purely a means to an end.  People brag on here that they won't go again until we are do this or do that, or are competing at the top, or until there is a better atmosphere.

The whole experience is in context with getting into the Prem. If that's not happening, then it's a waste of time. Every game is seen only in the context of a 'means to an end', not as a stand alone experience, whether good or bad.

Re the Kop, i've got a photo somewhere where the Kop is only populated by the 'Mob' in the middle & the rest is just about deserted. 

Couldn’t agree more mate. Too many see the destination rather than the journey game to game. It’s always been more about the joy of the day / game / experience / belonging / mates than the supposed holy grail of the Premier.  

On 25/01/2020 at 13:22, Sergeant Tibbs said:

74 for me. 

3-1 up at home against Man U at half time. Their centre half (Jim Hilton ?) stretchered off, ended in a 4-4 draw. 

I should have known then what it was going to be like following this club.

That was my first game too. Jim Holton was their player who broke his leg. He ended up signing for us in 1980 (ish) but never played due to injury...some things never change.

29 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I recall it being in front of the owls fans....The years before The Bolton Kop had been split down the middle with like corrugated metal...and coins and all sorts were tossed over, you daren't watch the game in case summat was coming your way...That year we were on the other end and it more or less led straight to the coachpark...We were wanderin' out asking if we had won or not...It was ridiculous, cos the players just seemed to walk off after the goal went in..

Anyone go to that Walsall game ..in the monsoon when it got called off?

It was hilarious...Wednesday fans ended up joining in a park game on the way back to the station....I was jammed under the roof on the side terrace..where it sorta split...it was like being under a waterfall

If this is the game i'm thinking about, I got kicked out for something. (Might have been for having a pee against a wall, actually on the Wednesday end during the game) struggle to remember nowadays, but got thrown out by a copper. Found a turnstile still operating, paid to get back in again only for the game to be called off shortly after. 

Fairly typical away day out in those days.

:laugh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Rubbish. 

Today's generation have had it far worse. Two decades in the doldrums. Compare that to a few  rough years in the mid 70s and you lot had it easy. 

nah ….went  thru both periods and the 70s were far tougher …..going to Hillsboro with a capacity of 55;000 and having 8 '000 spread about the place was soul destroying .I cant  think anyone who was there  in the 70s finds whats occurred in the last 20 years as worse …….the players were unbelievably poor even under Irvine we wernt signing free transfers from the likes of Gillingham,aldershot, ,Hartlepool . when we did delve into the foreign market we came up with a freebie from racing jet and one from the mighty highland power.

3 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

That was also my first game. 

I remember being in the west stand, God knows why. Did we lose 3-1?

Yes, Tommy Tynan with a cracking equaliser for us, Everton were on a good run, beating Coventry 6-1 in previous game, we gave them a tough game and it looked like going to a replay until 2 late goals for them.

7 hours ago, Calgary Owl said:

Yep, 3-1 defeat, Kop took off when Tommo equalized in the 1st half. Colin Harvey played for Everton that night

Tommy Craig the only bloody footballer we had

I was surprised he stuck with it

Would have walked into sides higher up the leagues

Left foot curlers into the top corner

Remember one against Boro athe Hillsborough

Once the pitch had cleared of Boro fans legging it from the Kop lol

There was a sense of pride following Wednesday in the mid 70s, especially away from home. I recall us driving to Peterborough or lincoln, (can't remember which) and parking outside the train station. There was a bunch of 20/30 lads waiting for Wednesday to turn up, the ICO pulled in and hundreds jumped off the train, you have never seen a group of lads run away so quick in your life.