Jump to content
Bearwood Owl1

New book on the Owls' Darkest Times 73-76

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Heres to hoping the title isn't a little too presumptious............

There's a question mark there for a reason :)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

There's a question mark there for a reason :)

That question mark wasn't there in the 70's...Too big not to get back..It was funded on support...

Today?

Different ball game....

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

That question mark wasn't there in the 70's...Too big not to get back..It was funded on support...

Today?

Different ball game....

Yes, that's another reason for the question mark. Club massively struggled, but even at 'Our Lowest Ebb' there were signs that improvements would come I think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could turn into a library. 

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Owl247 said:

1973 was when I started going to games, what a year to start!, would definitely be interested in getting a copy of the book 

Same here. Luckily one as too young to know what bad was just thought it was normal.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, qantas said:

Might have been one of the worse periods for Wednesday on the pitch but, off the pitch as a supporter was the best time I can remember, results apart the fans were fantastic, I traveled all over England with the best set of supporters ever, I hardly missed a game from 1970 to 1979 & the memories are brilliant, I will definitely be getting that book, can't wait for it.

 

Love Wednesday, loved the 70's, I'm in my sixties now & still think about those days.

 

Thank you :)

 

About half the book focuses on the experiences of fans. Some great tales. Hopefully it'll provoke a few nostalgic memories.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Yes, that's another reason for the question mark. Club massively struggled, but even at 'Our Lowest Ebb' there were signs that improvements would come I think 

 

It was never in doubt we would bounce back...when Jack joined us in 77 I was sat about 15 seats away from him on the same row in the North Stand, felt something that day, I was looking at him & thought yes, this is it now, I remember getting goose bumps about it.

  • Agree 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, qantas said:

Might have been one of the worse periods for Wednesday on the pitch but, off the pitch as a supporter was the best time I can remember, results apart the fans were fantastic, I traveled all over England with the best set of supporters ever, I hardly missed a game from 1970 to 1979 & the memories are brilliant, I will definitely be getting that book, can't wait for it.

 

Love Wednesday, loved the 70's, I'm in my sixties now & still think about those days.

Was a student in Newcastle and saw Wednesday lose 3-0 at Roker Park vs Sunderland. Wednesday were lucky to get most. Two years later started work at Hadfields, first game at Hillsborough vs Everton in the League cup, fantastic atmosphere with 39,000 attendance. I’ve been an Owl ever since, despite the Eustace era- equally desperate

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else feel like having lived through the darkest times they're in no rush to re-live it.....I feel like it needs a fifty shades plot twist to tempt me in. lol

Edited by Morepork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Month of the goal, relegation, one game to avoid division 4, a very very low ebb, but 4 years later the BDM and we were on our way. 

Everything feels far worse today.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Morepork said:

Does anyone else feel like having lived through the darkest times they're in no rush to re-live it.....I feel like it needs a fifty shades plot twist to tempt me in. lol

 

I've never read 50 shades .. :) 

 

Plot twist? We were dreadful, but lots was going on behind the scenes that would lead to recovery only a few years later 

 

Or   Skip the sections about the football... And read the fans stories - remembering the camaraderie if those times perhaps?  

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

 

I've never read 50 shades .. :) 

 

Plot twist? We were dreadful, but lots was going on behind the scenes that would lead to recovery only a few years later 

 

Or   Skip the sections about the football... And read the fans stories - remembering the camaraderie if those times perhaps?  

 

My comment was tongue in cheek, I'm sure the book is great. ;-)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Morepork said:

 

My comment was tongue in cheek, I'm sure the book is great. ;-)

Hahaha - cheers - me missing the massive pipe smoking emoji thing. 

 

I understand that it was bloody awful watching at times. One of the big themes of the book is the support for the team despite (or even because) of that. Those who stuck it out deserve a medal! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...