New book on the Owls' Darkest Times 73-76

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

Wasn't always violence...Remember Norwich away when I was about 13, and me two uncles and ytheir mates had left us to stay in the pub..We wandered over to the ground...It was a really hot day, so probably early in the season...(I can't for the life of me remember dates...must have been early 70's)...We went in..The Kop...that was split in those days at Carrow Rd..with a big grass bank behind it...We were the only two Owls sat on the grass banking...most were on the terrace or in the pub...and an old (To us) Norwich couple passed us a coke and a bag of crisps through the railings that seperated the steps up....always liked Norwich since then...

Now that is a genuinely lovely story :)

Went to Chesterfield away in September 1975 ,a night match in our first season in the 3rd Division , think it was the first time we had played them for many a year. We had just beaten Grimsby 4 -0 the previous Saturday and out of a crowd of 13,000 there must have been around 8,000 Wednesdayites. We were watching from a side terrace and just before kick off the packed away end full of Owls surged forward and hundreds steamed straight across the pitch and onto their kop, the Chesterfield fans legged it to the sides. Their were various pitch invasions throughout the game which of course we lost 1-0. Remember one of the fans coming off the pitch and standing near us saying  , we might be losing but at least we have took all 4 sides of the ground.

4 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Worst afternoon I can remember was a miserable November or might have been December game in '73 against Oxford...Think we lost 0-1...bloody miserable drizzle..very sparse crowd and a miserable performance..The Kop looked shocking...just the Electric scoreboard fizzin' crap.

That was all we had going for us as a club...For ages it was the only ground with an electric scoreboard in the country!!!!

Truth told..the bloke who operated it couldn't f.ookin' spell and some of the bulbs had gone...

Hence 

THE   WLS

FRIMSBY

and one that said...

"Cheer on Willie *ENDER**N  and the laffs"

We always seemed to lose 1 0 at home to Oxford on the 70's.

21 minutes ago, owlthorpe said:

Went to Chesterfield away in September 1975 ,a night match in our first season in the 3rd Division , think it was the first time we had played them for many a year. We had just beaten Grimsby 4 -0 the previous Saturday and out of a crowd of 13,000 there must have been around 8,000 Wednesdayites. We were watching from a side terrace and just before kick off the packed away end full of Owls surged forward and hundreds steamed straight across the pitch and onto their kop, the Chesterfield fans legged it to the sides. Their were various pitch invasions throughout the game which of course we lost 1-0. Remember one of the fans coming off the pitch and standing near us saying  , we might be losing but at least we have took all 4 sides of the ground.

There's a bit about that game in the book, trouble outside the ground as well.

image.jpeg.0668db7b2a797494472a48a43d40fe7f.jpeg

Wolves away League cup...think '76.....great night out

First time I saw them win away from home, except I didn't!

We were getting surrounded by Wolves fans on the South Bank so me and my mate dipped out about 5-10 minutes before the end and missed the winner!

13 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Also remember the large wooden gates to the railway station being forced open as police held us back after the match.

Edited by marconi

5 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Similar thing happened to 4 of us...Went to Preston in a van, got there eally early..got out of the van and about 20 Preston fand immediately came at us from the ground across the road...We legged it into that park..over an hill and there were about 200 Wednesday having a game of what looked like 100 a side football...They immediately charged towards the Preston fans...So we had to about turn, cos we were halfway between...and The Wednesday lads must have thought we were the 4 slowest Preston fans...We were f.ookin' knackered...back up the hill, down the other side...At the top of the hill it must have looked like 4 Wednesday chasin' 20 Preston...then the mob came over...I sat down..thank f.ook for silk scarves wiv yer name on...

"We're Wednesday..We're Wednesday!!!"

Its laughable now...but its bloody terrifying at the time

Not quite the same but had an experience at Vale Park in 76 or 77. Think it was the first away game of the season and in those days there was a regular bus service to Hanley so about 25 to 30 of us went on that. After the game me and a mate had gone to a chippy a couple of hundred yards away from the bus station and got followed by about half a dozen Vale fans on the way back, so we bluffed it. When I got to the corner turning into the bus station I yelled out "Vale fans lads get 'em!" and the two of us charged. The Vale fans turned tale and ran and we promptly did the same because there were no fellow Owls anywhere to be seen!

Oh and the sad thing is I had to jettison my fish 'n' chip supper!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

It was pandemonium trying to get in, the coppers didn't have a clue and very nearly got crushed (as did many others).

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

It was pandemonium trying to get in, the coppers didn't have a clue and very nearly got crushed (as did many others).

The violence/hooliganism bit was one of the most difficult to write. I didn't want to glamorise it, while accepting that it happened (pretty regularly), that Owls fans were as responsible for it as anyone, and that (some) fans actually quite enjoyed it. Others hated it of course, and the experience varied depending on the games you went to. So, tricky. Hopefully I've presented a fair picture of it all.

7 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

The violence/hooliganism bit was one of the most difficult to write. I didn't want to glamorise it, while accepting that it happened (pretty regularly), that Owls fans were as responsible for it as anyone, and that (some) fans actually quite enjoyed it. Others hated it of course, and the experience varied depending on the games you went to. So, tricky. Hopefully I've presented a fair picture of it all.

Well the Vale thing I mentioned was sheer bluff so we could get away without getting into trouble. I got thumped a couple of times and chased a couple of others, but never hit anyone myself although at that time you didn't have to be directly involved in trouble to witness plenty of it.

The Chesterfield incident I referred to above was just a total lack of control by the Police, there was no bad behaviour from the fans at that point of the night.

You are quite right though, there were some who relished the prospect of finding trouble.

10 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Well the Vale thing I mentioned was sheer bluff so we could get away without getting into trouble. I got thumped a couple of times and chased a couple of others, but never hit anyone myself although at that time you didn't have to be directly involved in trouble to witness plenty of it.

The Chesterfield incident I referred to above was just a total lack of control by the Police, there was no bad behaviour from the fans at that point of the night.

You are quite right though, there were some who relished the prospect of finding trouble.

I think you're point there about not needing to be directly involved to witness plenty of it is key.

It was a different world in the 70s in some ways. This being one of them. So no major judgements from me (though I can't understand looking for trouble). More my attempt to report the sort of things you describe 

So on a topical subject, anyone go to the Palace v Wednesday Fa cup replay at Villa park night match ? 
Joicey  hat trick ....... or was it ? 
I was playing football at that time and Colin Prophet was training us 

he was adamant that he got the last touch to the last goal , Brian is a mate and I keep rubbing him up about it , but as he says , just look in the papers .

After the game we went in a pub opposite the ground, no Palace fans in but a few locals one of them was a big black guy with a clothes Iron in his hand , he started getting interested in us so we decided to neck the beer and left 

Edited by hugeowl

Anybody remember when Millwall came on the kop mid 70s ...never seen nutters like them lot ... eventually Wednesday chased them onto the pitch.. ..they then turned round and jumped back on the kop ...that match seemed to start an endlessly “*** for tat” with Millwall that lasted years.......Also Southend away .. August bank holiday Monday.. worst violence I’d ever seen ... think the whole of the east end of London was on a day out and wanted a pop at Wednesday............crazy days but it engrained the loyalty to the club into you ... most 50/60 year olds will know what I mean !!!....characters like ..Sammy..Fat Sid...Bathtub....where just as popular as the players in them days lol

• Like 1

image.jpeg.0668db7b2a797494472a48a43d40fe7f.jpeg

Wolves away League cup...think '76.....great night out

Only time I’ve ever wanted a Wednesday player to miss !!!....last minute winner for Wednesday!!!...Surrounded by wolves fans going barmy .... I looked at Roger Wylde in the eyes and said “Thanks a f##king lot mate “. !!!!.....

Remember the Wigan cup tie in late 1977 when they were still playing at Springfield Park; was like a building site.

ManUre's game had been called off that day so a load of their fans came cos they knew we'd bring plenty. Both lots of fans in that covered shed down the side of the pitch.

Everyone well tooled up with bricks, metal, anything that could be thrown. Saw quite a few spilt heads and lots of blood that day. Spent most of the match at the very back of the shed as I reckoned it would be the safest place to be.

Dreadful game; didn't Oscar (or was it Tommy?) have a late equaliser disallowed?

Coach broke down on the way back home.

Happy days......

8 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

.......Also Southend away .

Yeah, went for the long weekend..never saw any trouble until about 11 ish saturday night and it didn't stop until 11 ish monday night.

:sad:

Crazy days... bloody nuts thinking back.

Never remembered the match was on a monday..we got there early sat morning and came home late monday night.