New book on the Owls' Darkest Times 73-76

6 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Hahaha - cheers - me missing the massive pipe smoking emoji thing. 

I understand that it was bloody awful watching at times. One of the big themes of the book is the support for the team despite (or even because) of that. Those who stuck it out deserve a medal! 

Most look back on it with fondness...I do...Went mostly everywhere, there was a certain amount of pride in the support we had...similar to now..cos the team in the 70's was by far the worst ive seen.

As for a medal...?..Not really i enjoyed going..It was affordable even on a poor wage if you were single.

The old S.U.T whilst not being totally reliable, nor comfortable was cheap as chips really.

I rememember going to Cardiff...Think it was '73...The coach broke down on the way there...Got in late...wrong end...and we sat on our hands as the clock ticked up to the last minute, hoping for a point...We got a free kick...and I turned to Rob and said "On the complete off chance of this going in...try and look as disappointed as you can...We hadn't won away since God knows when...Ken Knighton put it in the top corner...Up we went...then bloody mayhem as we had to leg it..Coach windows put through post match...eventually got home on a single decker Cardiff bus!

• Like 3

Guest LittleG
15 hours ago, qantas said:

Might have been one of the worse periods for Wednesday on the pitch but, off the pitch as a supporter was the best time I can remember, results apart the fans were fantastic, I traveled all over England with the best set of supporters ever, I hardly missed a game from 1970 to 1979 & the memories are brilliant, I will definitely be getting that book, can't wait for it.

Love Wednesday, loved the 70's, I'm in my sixties now & still think about those days.

Same here. The football was rubbish but the away days were something special, never forget them. 

Wasn't always massive followings tho'...I remember getting the tickets o the SUT for Millwall away on a Tuesday night, bought them the week before...Coach no 2...Mate got his on the Friday....Coach no 2...

" I thought...f.ook me..there gonna be about 100"..Funnily enough there were a fair few more than expected, must have got the train....

Not the best of nights...bloody awful place to go in the 70's

11 hours ago, Morepork said:

Does anyone else feel like having lived through the darkest times they're in no rush to re-live it.....I feel like it needs a fifty shades plot twist to tempt me in. lol

Yes- I don't want reminding of it.  All i remember was going to places like York Oxford and Cambridge, standing out in the cold and rain and watching us get thrashed. 

If they did a book covering 1980-2000 I'd buy it.  Or 1958-66 for us oldies.

Just now, Lincs Owl said:

Yes- I don't want reminding of it.  All i remember was going to places like York Oxford and Cambridge, standing out in the cold and rain and watching us get thrashed. 

I'm deffo gonna buy this one...Think that particular era sums Wednesday and the daft fans up to a t

20 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Most look back on it with fondness...I do...Went mostly everywhere, there was a certain amount of pride in the support we had...similar to now..cos the team in the 70's was by far the worst ive seen.

As for a medal...?..Not really i enjoyed going..It was affordable even on a poor wage if you were single.

The old S.U.T whilst not being totally reliable, nor comfortable was cheap as chips really.

I rememember going to Cardiff...Think it was '73...The coach broke down on the way there...Got in late...wrong end...and we sat on our hands as the clock ticked up to the last minute, hoping for a point...We got a free kick...and I turned to Rob and said "On the complete off chance of this going in...try and look as disappointed as you can...We hadn't won away since God knows when...Ken Knighton put it in the top corner...Up we went...then bloody mayhem as we had to leg it..Coach windows put through post match...eventually got home on a single decker Cardiff bus!

Love it. Those kind of stories sum up the 70s for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I can't win 'em all :)

Look up Daniel Gordon's 'A Quarter if Wednesday'. Covers 1970-95 but if you start half way through it covers the glory years really well.

2 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Love it. Those kind of stories sum up the 70s for me. 

There werer places like Bury, orient, hull, Preston etc..Where there were Wednesday fans on 3 sides of the ground..not filling it, but just sorta ..on 3 sides...

At Orient at that time, you could actually walk round the whole ground...So when an owls fan climbed the flag pole at the Orient end...for some f.ookin' reason...As the police surrounded the bottom of the flag pole...The Wednesday fans on the other end decided to have a walk round to investigate..It was bloody nonsense...Theres this Owls lad slowly sliding down the pole...Police underneath with  a mass of Wednesday fans in what could only be described as hurried "Hostage negotiations" before he hit ground zero...

For the week after...nobody discussed the games...cos we had usually lost...but the antics of the supporters were lapped up

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

There werer places like Bury, orient, hull, Preston etc..Where there were Wednesday fans on 3 sides of the ground..not filling it, but just sorta ..on 3 sides...

At Orient at that time, you could actually walk round the whole ground...So when an owls fan climbed the flag pole at the Orient end...for some f.ookin' reason...As the police surrounded the bottom of the flag pole...The Wednesday fans on the other end decided to have a walk round to investigate..It was bloody nonsense...Theres this Owls lad slowly sliding down the pole...Police underneath with  a mass of Wednesday fans in what could only be described as hurried "Hostage negotiations" before he hit ground zero...

For the week after...nobody discussed the games...cos we had usually lost...but the antics of the supporters were lapped up

Wasn't that Sammy?

4 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Wasn't that Sammy?

I doubt Sammy could climb a flag pole mate...You could be right tho'......I didn't actually walk all the way around, cos about 40 of us ended up in reight posh seats on the halfway line

Edited by asteener1867

20 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Our away support from then on has always been great...I think being so rubbish made us savour the trips away...todays bedwetters would be throwing themselves of the cliffs like lemmings lol

The actual "Rubbishness" became a badge of honour in the 70's...We f.ookin' knew how bad we were.....What bewildered most clubs we played...especially away ..was the fact that this "Rubbishness" was followed by thousands of f.ookin' mainly idiots...Who actually turned up in the certain knowledge their team was gonna lose!!!

The length and breadth of the country they would come...Honestly sometimes ..especially on the trans pennine routes...it was a cavalcade of coaches full of fans..KNOWING..they were going to a match they were gonna lose..and not giving a flyer about it.....WE were the club..The players were f.ookin' crap...honestly..abject..The fans..were extraordinary....and we all bought into it...enjoyed it...

You know if that chant had been in existence...

"You're f.ookin' sh *t....You're f.ookin' sh *t"

It would be rsponded to by 

We f.ookin' KNOW...We f.ookin' KNOW!!!!!"

cos it was beyond football ..Hull away , the season we hit the 3rd...Wednesday fans were on both terraces behind the goal and on that big green shed thing they had on the side..already down..not giving a flyer..and got beat..Even the announcer pre match said...and I paraphrase...

"We welcome and applaud The Wednesday fans who come here  in their thousands when they are ALREADY relegated"

Obviously cue simpering applause from us...Unlike at Grimsby..when in ..The OFFICIAL matchday programme...(and this is true)...it said

"Today we entertain the Unwashed hordes from Sheffield"

Cue...a tad of trouble 

Edited by asteener1867
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Owl247 said:

1973 was when I started going to games, what a year to start!, would definitely be interested in getting a copy of the book 

74 for me. 

3-1 up at home against Man U at half time. Their centre half (Jim Hilton ?) stretchered off, ended in a 4-4 draw. 

I should have known then what it was going to be like following this club.

• Haha 3

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

74 for me. 

3-1 up at home against Man U at half time. Their centre half (Jim Hilton ?) stretchered off, ended in a 4-4 draw. 

I should have known then what it was going to be like following this club.

Holton sarge.......Yea that was a bloody crazy game...on and offa the pitch

54 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I doubt Sammy could climb a flag pole mate...You could be right tho'......I didn't actually walk all the way around, cos about 40 of us ended up in reight posh seats on the halfway line

I was right Davey Boy answered the question. Not the first time he did it, slippery as an eel that lad.

23 hours ago, Owl247 said:

1973 was when I started going to games, what a year to start!, would definitely be interested in getting a copy of the book 

same here, saying that I was only 5 and was more interested reading my Rupert bear annual than watching the match.

• Haha 1