New book on the Owls' Darkest Times 73-76

42 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

74 for me. 

3-1 up at home against Man U at half time. Their centre half (Jim Hilton ?) stretchered off, ended in a 4-4 draw. 

I should have known then what it was going to be like following this club.

Big section on that game. And an interview with Dave Sunley who scored two of our goals. Who would have believed that after Xmas that season we'd score only 2 league goals?!

On 24/01/2020 at 18:40, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Coming soon(ish). June 2020. Give me a follow on Twitter @ourlowestebb1 if that's your thing. Or look out for further details nearer the time. 

Featuring interviews with management, players, club staff and the views of hundreds of fans - it aims to rescue the era for posterity. 

Hopefully it'll be something that Owls fans young and old will enjoy. If nothing else, it puts today's issues in some perspective :)

Cheers and UTO

John Dyson

83021704_10156687909076611_5092174506730979328_o.jpg

You know, I think we actually enjoy feeling Shiite. Looking forward to reading it already. 

Daniel Gordon's book  "A Quarter of Wednesday" highlighted some aspects of those years and this will be a great read also, especially for us old 'uns that had to endure those times. Looking forward to it.

Who can forget April 29th 1976 against Southend when we just escaped relegation to the old Fourth Division by the skin of our teeth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Big section on that game. And an interview with Dave Sunley who scored two of our goals. Who would have believed that after Xmas that season we'd score only 2 league goals?!

2 league goals after Xmas!!!

Never knew that...I mean christ almighty... a sodding third of a season almost.

5 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Daniel Gordon's book  "A Quarter of Wednesday" highlighted some aspects of those years and this will be a great read also, especially for us old 'uns that had to endure those times. Looking forward to it.

Who can forget April 29th 1976 against Southend when we just escaped relegation to the old Fourth Division by the skin of our teeth.

Peter Rodrigues won the F.a cup with Southampton that same year after leaving us....

There was a piece in the mirror about how things had changed for him

15 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

The title refers to the Southend game. The club's 'Lowest Ebb' - never have the team fallen so low before or since. 

Daniel Gordon's book is excellent - would recommend it to any Owls fan.

6 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Peter Rodrigues won the F.a cup with Southampton that same year after leaving us....

There was a piece in the mirror about how things had changed for him

They really were dark days mate weren't they. That said the fan base was superb and I remember walking away from that Southend game believing we were world beaters because we had survived the old Third Division.I thought Rodrigues was a decent player during his time with us

2 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

The title refers to the Southend game. The club's 'Lowest Ebb' - never have the team fallen so low before or since. 

Daniel Gordon's book is excellent - would recommend it to any Owls fan.

Couldn't agree more and count me in for adding to my Wednesday library of books,programmes,fanzines and anything else Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

No sure of the timing, but think it was the goal that ended the goal-less run.

Funny enough oxford always seemed to beat us 1-0.

After the 4-4 with Man U we ended '74 by drawing with Oldham and losing to Millwall (h) and Bolton (a) but beat So'ton 1-0 away!

Started '75 by losing to Chelsea (a) 3-2 after being 2-up, I think. Then back a league defeat (0-2) to Man U and no goals from then on until losing 1-2 at Fulham at the end of Feb. After that no more goals - we either lost 0-1 or drew 0-0 - until that Oxford draw in mid-April

https://www.11v11.com/teams/sheffield-wednesday/tab/matches/season/1975/

I wonder if any other club has such a record - 2 goals in 4 months. Crazy

• Thanks 1

I was going to award a "LIKE" for Edmonton's post above, but i could hardly like those games could I?

Remember being 2-0 up at Chelsea in the cup with about 15 minutes left, then that animal Droy got involved!

I'd traveled on my 650 Triumph, and was going to go to the Bike Show at Earl's Court after.

Couldn't face it so I spat my dummy out and ferked off back up the motorway.

17 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

After the 4-4 with Man U we ended '74 by drawing with Oldham and losing to Millwall (h) and Bolton (a) but beat So'ton 1-0 away!

Started '75 by losing to Chelsea (a) 3-2 after being 2-up, I think. Then back a league defeat (0-2) to Man U and no goals from then on until losing 1-2 at Fulham at the end of Feb. After that no more goals - we either lost 0-1 or drew 0-0 - until that Oxford draw in mid-April

call me mister pedantic but it was millwall away and Bolton at home …..I only know coz I went to millwall that game and ( i'm sure someone else will say they were there) felt I was the only  owl there …..it was our 1st game after tommy craig was sold which as it proved started our downfall . 

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

call me mister pedantic but it was millwall away and Bolton at home …..I only know coz I went to millwall that game and ( i'm sure someone else will say they were there) felt I was the only  owl there …..it was our 1st game after tommy craig was sold which as it proved started our downfall . 

Oi, Mr. Pedantic

lol

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Oi, Mr. Pedantic

lol

I know,  see summat that's not quite right and think let it go but I just cant help it ….its an illness mate …...good thread this recalling the bloody good awful times .

40 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Yep FA Cup, went 2-0 up with about 20 mins left, in them days they was no live commentary, all we had was radio Sheffield going over to ground about 3 or 4 times each half for a quick update, after reporting we had gone 2-0 in front, next time they went over we were losing 3-2, my Dad picked radio up and threw it straight at wall. :duntmatter:

Edited by bradowl
  • Haha 1