New book on the Owls' Darkest Times 73-76

Loving reading all this nostalgia 

brings it all back 

one away day I will never forget was going to Carlisle for a night game , we had no idea how far it was we just jumped in a car and set off , me driving me dads car , been travelling about 3 hours and we saw the first sign saying Carlisle 90 miles or summat 

anyway got there stood on a uncovered end and it pissed it down all the game , and as usual got beat 

it was a feckin long journey back 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Andy Mc it was. When the Owls were down to 10 men as Hugh Dowd was off the pitch being treated for an injury. 

Hugh Dowd injured? Think you've made that up. garymegson

• Haha 2

Wednesday went into a downward vacuum after the betting scandal,Brown was a shadow of Buckingham,lacked ambition and vision,his judgement was clouded by his beliefs,he made some awfull decisions on players,he didnt have the skill to manage at the highest level.

But the blame for the decline was in the boardroom,they were so far detatched from football and how it operated and what it required they just sleep walked us into oblivion,millionaires applied to be directors,but the board ALWAYS turned them down,it wasnt untill Mandaric rode up that we finally rid ourselves of the cancer that was the directors,an old boys club that took more out than they ever put in and used the club for tax rite offs and bigger pensions

6 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Wednesday went into a downward vacuum after the betting scandal,Brown was a shadow of Buckingham,lacked ambition and vision,his judgement was clouded by his beliefs,he made some awfull decisions on players,he didnt have the skill to manage at the highest level.

But the blame for the decline was in the boardroom,they were so far detatched from football and how it operated and what it required they just sleep walked us into oblivion,millionaires applied to be directors,but the board ALWAYS turned them down,it wasnt untill Mandaric rode up that we finally rid ourselves of the cancer that was the directors,an old boys club that took more out than they ever put in and used the club for tax rite offs and bigger pensions

Some truth in all that... I didn't want to cover the betting scandal through to relegation from D1 as a) it's been done before and b) it was a truly depressing time with very few redeeming features.

Fast forward to 73-76 and the football was often dreadful to watch, but as we see here there's plenty of nostalgia for it. And... I argue at least, the green shoots of later recovery under Big Jack are tantalisingly close.

Looking forward to this coming out John / Bearwood. We’re friends on Facebook and I happily wrote a few memories for you of my times actively supporting us through our ‘lowest times’.  Moved to Sheffield when I was 5 in 1970 and despite living the other side of Sheffield toSWFC I chose us to support, or was I was destined to be an Owl. My badge of honour is still being on Look North filmed in our then 55,000 capacity ground, stood on our cast pretty empty Kop, in a record low crowd of 6,905 against Colchester. Still got 150+ programmes from that era.  As a previous poster alluded to, some of the over entitled drama queens on Owls Talk wouldn’t have been able to handle those formative early years of supporting this Club 

• Thanks 1

On 24/01/2020 at 19:21, Flat Owl said:

If you had the b0ll0x to support this club during that time, trust me anything since has been a birthday football wise...

:duntmatter:

Too true.

I was there through it all,.

God bless Sir  Jack Charlton & Sir Bert McGee.

Sadly the last time the club had any forward thinking plan.

• Haha 1

I loved the 70's...always optimistic no matter how bad it got, my dad thought i was nuts...'they will always let you down, the board have no ambition blah blah ' took no notice of course, had some great away days, weekends in southend, blackpool, london.

Once the signs of recovery were under way it was brill being a wednesdayite.

Think you appreciate the good times more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

And............................?

Perhaps we were all masochistic in terms of what was served up on the pitch but the football was a side show or amusingly poor - we went for the day out and as others have said it was fantastic to be part of thousands who went for the laugh, a steaming sing song and a few beers, to be part of 12000 on 3 sides of a ground that was only at capacity when Wednesday were ever in town was a sight to behold.

Yes, we got mullered on the pitch but we were unbeatable off it - the stories of those away days are embedded in the very foundations of this club and are literally folklore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nuneatonowl1 said:

Looking forward to this coming out John / Bearwood. We’re friends on Facebook and I happily wrote a few memories for you of my times actively supporting us through our ‘lowest times’.  Moved to Sheffield when I was 5 in 1970 and despite living the other side of Sheffield toSWFC I chose us to support, or was I was destined to be an Owl. My badge of honour is still being on Look North filmed in our then 55,000 capacity ground, stood on our cast pretty empty Kop, in a record low crowd of 6,905 against Colchester. Still got 150+ programmes from that era.  As a previous poster alluded to, some of the over entitled drama queens on Owls Talk wouldn’t have been able to handle those formative early years of supporting this Club 

Think the difference then mate, was you went to watch the game, have a laugh, (all the other stuff that went on in those days) & you felt part of something. You had to stick together for the obvious reasons. 

Mainly though you went to watch a match. It probably wouldn't have had any bearing on anything, probably didn't really matter in the scheme of things if we won or lost, it was just another match that you attended because you did.

Nowadays, everything is purely a means to an end.  People brag on here that they won't go again until we are do this or do that, or are competing at the top, or until there is a better atmosphere.

The whole experience is in context with getting into the Prem. If that's not happening, then it's a waste of time. Every game is seen only in the context of a 'means to an end', not as a stand alone experience, whether good or bad.

Re the Kop, i've got a photo somewhere where the Kop is only populated by the 'Mob' in the middle & the rest is just about deserted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Loving reading all this nostalgia 

brings it all back 

one away day I will never forget was going to Carlisle for a night game , we had no idea how far it was we just jumped in a car and set off , me driving me dads car , been travelling about 3 hours and we saw the first sign saying Carlisle 90 miles or summat 

anyway got there stood on a uncovered end and it pissed it down all the game , and as usual got beat 

it was a feckin long journey back 

Went to Gillingham for a night match. 

I got stopped for speeding, but when I explained why I was in 'Deep Sarf' to the copper, I think he thought I was A:- Deranged, & B:- worthy of being let off.

• Haha 2

Said it before but always worth saying again. Those were the days of the Ozzy Owl Club,yard of ale,comedian and strippers then booted out on to a kop without a roof to get hammered by the likes of Port Vale, Oxford and Chesterfield. We still went back the next week for more of the same. Some might say daft....but Wednesday are a way of life and we just live it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, S A Andy said:

Excellent pre match entertainment in the Ozzie Owl club during those "darkest times", Comedians, Strippers, Pasquale amazing everyone by downing the yard of ale in seven & a half seconds without spilling a drop.  

Agree mate. Spent many happy hours in there before the match. 

1 hour ago, S A Andy said:

Excellent pre match entertainment in the Ozzie Owl club during those "darkest times", Comedians, Strippers, Pasquale amazing everyone by downing the yard of ale in seven & a half seconds without spilling a drop.  

1 hour ago, REDOWL said:

Agree mate. Spent many happy hours in there before the match. 

1 hour ago, REDOWL said:

Said it before but always worth saying again. Those were the days of the Ozzy Owl Club,yard of ale,comedian and strippers then booted out on to a kop without a roof to get hammered by the likes of Port Vale, Oxford and Chesterfield. We still went back the next week for more of the same. Some might say daft....but Wednesday are a way of life and we just live it.

The Ozzie Owl club also gets a full section to itself :)

• Like 1