New book on the Owls' Darkest Times 73-76

1 hour ago, Hughdowd said:

Anybody remember when Millwall came on the kop mid 70s ...never seen nutters like them lot ... eventually Wednesday chased them onto the pitch.. ..they then turned round and jumped back on the kop ...that match seemed to start an endlessly “*** for tat” with Millwall that lasted years.......Also Southend away .. August bank holiday Monday.. worst violence I’d ever seen ... think the whole of the east end of London was on a day out and wanted a pop at Wednesday............crazy days but it engrained the loyalty to the club into you ... most 50/60 year olds will know what I mean !!!....characters like ..Sammy..Fat Sid...Bathtub....where just as popular as the players in them days lol

Remember that Millwall game vividly. F Troop in full crazy mode that day. They also were at the Valley "helping" Charlton against us in the cup 3 months later and agin it was utter carnage.

Incidentally we beat Millwall 4-1 that day. One of our better moments that  season (there  weren't many).

15 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

I think you mean Mick Lyons. He got their first that night.

You’re probably right about Mick Lyons but I’d put money on Colin Harvey playing- him of that great midfield with Howard Kendall and Alan Ball

1 hour ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Would that be the same Colin Harvey that joined us from Everton in 1974 and retired after we released him in 1976?

Came with the nickname ( the white pele ) , never really lived up to that

Everton's team that night:

Wood, Jones, Pejic, Lyons, Higgins, Buckley, King, Dobson, Latchford, Pearson, Thomas.

Remember seeing Dave Thomas, who had his best years at QPR, turning out for Bognor Regis Town in an FA Trophy game at Chelmsford.....back in the 90's I would think. Sad to see he's now registered blind.

20 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

The violence/hooliganism bit was one of the most difficult to write. I didn't want to glamorise it, while accepting that it happened (pretty regularly), that Owls fans were as responsible for it as anyone, and that (some) fans actually quite enjoyed it. Others hated it of course, and the experience varied depending on the games you went to. So, tricky. Hopefully I've presented a fair picture of it all.

The thing about those days was 

It was actually dangerous to go about in 3s or 4 you simply had to stay with the masses 

So inevitably you were in amongst it if and when it did kick off

If ever I found myself on me own I just put me hands in me pockets and pretended to know where I was going til I bumped into some Owls fans

It happened to me away at Chelsea in the game Droy spoiled the party in the last 15 minutes

Fighting outside the ground near that railway embankment I got split up

No idea where the coaches were bumped in 4 big lads from Stocksbridge and walked back with them nobody thought to bother them 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Remember the Wigan cup tie in late 1977 when they were still playing at Springfield Park; was like a building site.

ManUre's game had been called off that day so a load of their fans came cos they knew we'd bring plenty. Both lots of fans in that covered shed down the side of the pitch.

Everyone well tooled up with bricks, metal, anything that could be thrown. Saw quite a few spilt heads and lots of blood that day. Spent most of the match at the very back of the shed as I reckoned it would be the safest place to be.

Dreadful game; didn't Oscar (or was it Tommy?) have a late equaliser disallowed?

Coach broke down on the way back home.

Happy days......

Ridiculous game

That terrace was miles behind the goal we got in late and thought Wednesday were knocking it about OK until I recognised Wylde in the yellow away kit lol

It was Wylde I think mate pulled up for offside 

Thr was an owls fan walking about with a length of scaffolding ffs!

7 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Had an ongoing hip injury that led to his retirement. Everton fans weren't happy for him to go - but never really at his best at Hillsborough 

On his first game some Everton lads turned up with a banner to support him 

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

It was actually dangerous to go about in 3s or 4 you simply had to stay with the masses 

If ever I found myself on me own I just put me hands in me pockets and pretended to know where I was going til I bumped into some Owls fans

It happened to me away at Chelsea in the game Droy spoiled the party in the last 15 minutes

No idea where the coaches were bumped in 4 big lads from Stocksbridge and walked back with them nobody thought to bother them 

I think that nails it, it was there. It happened. If you went to football, especially away, there was a chance of getting caught up in it - like it or not 

Had confirmation of my place at Owls in the Park. The book will be launched that day - 28th June. I'll be there and happy to chat and sign a copy if that helps :) It'll be in all good bookshops, on Amazon and other retailers soon afterwards. More details to follow. Thanks for the positive words and support I've had on here. It is genuinely appreciated. 

• Like 4

On 24/01/2020 at 23:28, qantas said:

Might have been one of the worse periods for Wednesday on the pitch but, off the pitch as a supporter was the best time I can remember, results apart the fans were fantastic, I traveled all over England with the best set of supporters ever, I hardly missed a game from 1970 to 1979 & the memories are brilliant, I will definitely be getting that book, can't wait for it.

Love Wednesday, loved the 70's, I'm in my sixties now & still think about those days.

Wish I could plus you more than one Qantas. That is exactly how I feel about that time and I wouldn't hesitate to swap them for now. Boxing Day at Hull ...character forming. UTO 

• Like 1

On 28/01/2020 at 11:38, fredmciverslovechild said:

Everton's team that night:

Wood, Jones, Pejic, Lyons, Higgins, Buckley, King, Dobson, Latchford, Pearson, Thomas.

Remember seeing Dave Thomas, who had his best years at QPR, turning out for Bognor Regis Town in an FA Trophy game at Chelmsford.....back in the 90's I would think. Sad to see he's now registered blind.

Mark Higgins,  played behind him for Derbyshire what a fantastic player, likened to Duncan Edwards but ruined by injury.

On 26/01/2020 at 16:57, asteener1867 said:

You got used to the Green 'Un..It hardly ever reflected the game you had been to, and rarely criticised..not like what you get today.

Phrases like 

"A workmanlike Sheffield Wednesday side unluckily went down 1-0 against Oxford United"

Workmanlike mean absolutely crap...unluckily means we had a shot hit the old electric scoreboard....

Then there was the "late" entry...usually in bold after the report...it sorta went .

"A workmanlike Sheffield Wednesday side held Bolton Wanderers at Blundell park this afternoon....

then................

Bolton Wandererers 2 Sheffield Wednesday 0

Speakin' of Bolton ..I went there in the 70's when we won 1-0...right late on...and none of us knew if the goal had counted , cos there wasn't time to kick off again...

I found out back on the coach!!...Have I imagined that?....Think it was 74 or 5?

The game you are talking about, we won 1-0 courtesy of a Bobby Brown goal. It was early in the season and was an early goal. In the dying seconds Bolton won a corner and Alan Gowling put it into the net, but the ref had already blown the whistle as soon as the corner was taken, so it was disallowed. The season before, we played them on a wet foggy February afternoon. It was a re arranged game and was on the same day as the 4th round of the cup. We had just signed experienced keeper Bobby Ferguson on loan from West Ham. it wasnt an inspiring debut from him as we were 4-0 down at half time. We did win the 2nd half 2-0 though!!!

• Thanks 1

On 29/01/2020 at 05:28, asteener1867 said:

I remember a night game at Mansfield...me & a mate had driven there & after the game turned down a street where we thought the car was...turned out it wasn't & we'd entered a Cul-de-Sac

When we turned to go back a group of around 6 or 7 Mansfield lads had followed us...we had no choice but to face it down...we gave our best in what basically just a fist fight, no weapons, no sticking the boot in or owt like that...we got a black eye apiece and a bit of a mauling but we were basically OK, lucky I guess could have been a lot worse.

• Thanks 1